Calf leg / hoof injury

Cattle problems.
Kleago79
Beginner
Beginner

Calf leg / hoof injury

Postby Kleago79 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi everybody,

Was out in the pasture today and noticed one of my calves had an injured leg. Got close enough to take a few pictures but it was getting late and I didn't have anything with me to catch him. Had some Vetericyn plus in the truck so sprayed the wound as best I could. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice. Was thinks by about trying to hit him with some LA 200 tomorrow if I can catch him. He's about 400 lbs. Nonothet cows showing any signs of being sick. Pics attached.

0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Calf leg / hoof injury

Postby TCRanch » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:21 am

Ouch! If you can catch & restrain him I'd thoroughly clean it with diluted Betadyne, follow up with Kopertox and Blue Kote.
0 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:13 am

Blue kote works well for us in those types of situations.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:24 am

That is a fairly old wound, looks like it may have been a clean cut with something like some roofing iron to start with. The wound is granulating over well and will probably heal on its own. Spraying with some blue stuff may be achievable out in the paddock and makes you warm and fuzzy that you have done something.

Ken
0 x

Kleago79
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Kleago79 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks for info ... he's still looking good today .. will keep an eye oh him and see how it goes ... he's walking good (no limp) ... looks a little more swollen than before but the upper portion looks like it's healing good ... if he starts to limp I'll catch him and take a closer look
0 x

Schmitty
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Schmitty » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:52 am

I am having a similar situation with my 3-4 year old steer. Went out to top off their water and throw out some alfalfa pellets and noticed the steer couldn't get up and stand or walk. Instantly I thought broken leg. We got him up and moved to the front pasture away from the rest of the moo crew. Called the vet out, she checked him over, said no definite breaks other than a possible fracture in the knee cap. She hit him with antibiotics and pain killer. He was up and hobbling around an hour later. He has been able to get up and move around since. But walks like an old man after a hip surgery. He can't be put back in with the others as the bull is pushy and is probably the reason he has the limp. I'm hoping for a full recovery.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:38 pm

Schmitty wrote:I am having a similar situation with my 3-4 year old steer. Went out to top off their water and throw out some alfalfa pellets and noticed the steer couldn't get up and stand or walk. Instantly I thought broken leg. We got him up and moved to the front pasture away from the rest of the moo crew. Called the vet out, she checked him over, said no definite breaks other than a possible fracture in the knee cap. She hit him with antibiotics and pain killer. He was up and hobbling around an hour later. He has been able to get up and move around since. But walks like an old man after a hip surgery. He can't be put back in with the others as the bull is pushy and is probably the reason he has the limp. I'm hoping for a full recovery.

Update?
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”