Emergency Water

Cattle problems.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Emergency Water

Postby TexasBred » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:12 am

Workinonit Farm wrote:
TexasBred wrote:I have one pasture where the only source of water if from rural water system. Very heavily chlorinated. Never had any problems.

Yes, but I imagine the level of chlorine is not what it would be if it were from a swimming pool.

The pools that I have been in, both public and private, have had more chlorine in the water than any public water source.
But, that could just be what it is like where I am. Maybe things are different where you are.

Maybe not but sometimes it's so strong it will almost burn your eyes. Have to filter the water we drink in the house. Some folks actually put chlorine tablets in their water tanks to kill bacteria and hold down algae growth.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:41 am

TexasBred wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
TexasBred wrote:I have one pasture where the only source of water if from rural water system. Very heavily chlorinated. Never had any problems.

Yes, but I imagine the level of chlorine is not what it would be if it were from a swimming pool.

The pools that I have been in, both public and private, have had more chlorine in the water than any public water source.
But, that could just be what it is like where I am. Maybe things are different where you are.

Maybe not but sometimes it's so strong it will almost burn your eyes. Have to filter the water we drink in the house. Some folks actually put chlorine tablets in their water tanks to kill bacteria and hold down algae growth.

There are several water supply systems in this area. The one north of town that we used to live the odor was so strong it would make you eyes water, east of town not so much. We have our own well so don;t care what they do in and around town
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 pm

Chlorine kills good microbes among other things. Not good choice unless you can let dispell. You can test using pool water tester. Chlorine has also been shown to cause depression in humans if extended use but for short term in cattle at low rate probably not.
0 x

jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Postby jkwilson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:47 am

The chlorine wouldn't be a concern in the pool water other than the odor and taste causing cows to not drink it. The level is typically not much different than what you see in city water. You smell it more in a pool because it's coming into contact with more impurities (like human bodies) and the resulting byproducts have a more distinct chlorine smell. In a power outage, the chlorine level in the pool would start dropping pretty quickly anyway, and putting it in a dirty stock tank would quickly reduce what was left. I'd be more concerned with the stabilizer used in the pool water to protect the chlorine from sunlight. It is cyanuric acid. NPN feed products already contain some CYA, but I have no idea how the levels compare with what is in pool water (typically 70-80ppm) or how that might affect a cow.

If combined with melamine, CYA can potentially cause renal failure in some animals.

I claim no expertise on whether it is a risk or not, only that I'd want to know before letting them drink it.
1 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:11 am

At the house, generator as stated previously. At some of the other pastures, I have some shallow wells we blew in.(think shallow 1 1/4" driven well, except pvc instead of galvanized pipe) hook a small gas pump up and water as long as you have gas for the pump.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:29 am

I think if you are at risk of this being a relatively probable situation, a small gas pump in the creek is going to water a lot of cows on very little fuel
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

1wlimo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 1wlimo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:49 pm

could use a solar system, then a float switch turns the pump on and off when you are not about. Saves needing a storage tank as well.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:36 pm

If you're pumping any amount with solar, you want to have a large holding tank so that it can pump all it can while the sun is brightest, and then you have stored capacity while you don't have sun.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:22 pm

1wlimo, a storage tank or big trough is going to be cheaper than the batteries, etc needed to store for night time
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Health & Nutrition”