sale barn cattle

Cattle problems.
farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

sale barn cattle

Postby farmboy80 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:53 pm

Wanting to know what you all do with your cattle you purchase at the sale barns. As far as vaccination, dewormer, just turn out?
I bought a cow/calf pair, I've got them separate from the rest of my cows. Going to deworm them tomorrow. Just wanting to know how long before I turn them out with the rest of my cattle? They seem healthy. Look and act just fine. Just curious what everybody does?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: sale barn cattle

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:59 pm

farmboy80 wrote:Wanting to know what you all do with your cattle you purchase at the sale barns. As far as vaccination, dewormer, just turn out?
I bought a cow/calf pair, I've got them separate from the rest of my cows. Going to deworm them tomorrow. Just wanting to know how long before I turn them out with the rest of my cattle? They seem healthy. Look and act just fine. Just curious what everybody does?

Quarantine for three weeks in a couple acre lot Ivomec and vaccination with Vira Sheild 6 + VL5
2 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

farmboy80
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby farmboy80 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
farmboy80 wrote:Wanting to know what you all do with your cattle you purchase at the sale barns. As far as vaccination, dewormer, just turn out?

Quarantine for three weeks in a couple acre lot Ivomec and vaccination with Vira Sheild 6 + VL5

Vaccinate cow and calf with both those?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 pm

I do cow gets a booster at a month.
Cheap insurance calf gets booster at weaning.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:22 pm

Looks good to me. I would use the killed virus on first round and booster with modified live. Covexin 8 wouldn't hurt on either one.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:24 pm

worm and vaccinate like they are saying, I don't Quarantine as long as C B does but it sure does not hurt to and probably is a good thing to do. I also record the metal ear tag numbers and keep it and record any brands/marks. If I am keeping them I like to brand them before I put them out to pasture if they are just resalers I don't.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:01 pm

BRYANT wrote:worm and vaccinate like they are saying, I don't Quarantine as long as C B does but it sure does not hurt to and probably is a good thing to do. I also record the metal ear tag numbers and keep it and record any brands/marks. If I am keeping them I like to brand them before I put them out to pasture if they are just resalers I don't.

Hogs is why I went to quarantining that long.

http://www.invasivespecies.wa.gov/docum ... ncerns.pdf

Forgot lepto as well.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Sure don't want them in close proximity of your main herd, like a fence barrier. They still can catch ' shipping fever' through it,or share a water source,it's a nightmare....they can be carriers,are suffer themselves from it...takes a couple days to show up too..I've known guys to turn them out a couple day after they got em home.. And bam!! several of the cows came down with it....good luck..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:16 pm

0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Use to have to move my herd when my neighbor unloaded stockyard cattle from the yard right in with his herd...when ever I'd see tags on some new ones I'd move em to the bottom....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:21 pm

BVD PI and Johnes tests. I don't need a typhoid Mary. Though they can test clean for Johnes and polluting your entire pasture the next year.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 pm

I bring in calves often, if they are from the stock yard or off the farm they get Inforce 3, Presponse, Alpha 7, implant with Ralgro, Cydectin injectable, if bulls they get tetanus antitoxoid and castrated. I normally keep them separated for less than a week. Longer I'm sure wou ok do be ok but if I'm buying I need the lots for the next calves in a week.
If I buy cows at the stock yard or off the farm they get the same treatment minus the Ralgro and tetanus.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:18 pm

kenny thomas wrote:I bring in calves often, if they are from the stock yard or off the farm they get Inforce 3, Presponse, Alpha 7, implant with Ralgro, Cydectin injectable, if bulls they get tetanus antitoxoid and castrated. I normally keep them separated for less than a week. Longer I'm sure wou ok do be ok but if I'm buying I need the lots for the next calves in a week.
If I buy cows at the stock yard or off the farm they get the same treatment minus the Ralgro and tetanus.

I do basically the same vaccination program. Some difference in brand names but drugs to address the same issues. I also give them a blast of LA200 to help with any bugs they may have picked up at the salebarn. And I hot iron brand them. I have a friend who runs about 1,000 stockers, 99% from the saleyard he give the same drugs with draxxin. I just can't bring myself to give every one of them draxxin.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Let's back up a little. I use BoviShield 5L5, so I am going to "assume" Vira Sheild 6 + VL5 is also a Modified Live Vaccine (MLV). You DO NOT want to vaccinate a pregnant cow or the calf nursing a pregnant cow if you do not have a history of previous vaccination. You can abort the cow - if she is pregnant.
I don't believe in wasting my money on killed vaccines, but this is a good case for the product. Inforce III is safe for pregnant cattle (I believe) and is a great product.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:01 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Let's back up a little. I use BoviShield 5L5, so I am going to "assume" Vira Sheild 6 + VL5 is also a Modified Live Vaccine (MLV). You DO NOT want to vaccinate a pregnant cow or the calf nursing a pregnant cow if you do not have a history of previous vaccination. You can abort the cow - if she is pregnant.
I don't believe in wasting my money on killed vaccines, but this is a good case for the product. Inforce III is safe for pregnant cattle (I believe) and is a great product.

Must be different studies up north than here. I'll quit vaccinations if I have to use live vaccines.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”