sale barn cattle

Cattle problems.
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: sale barn cattle

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Let's back up a little. I use BoviShield 5L5, so I am going to "assume" Vira Sheild 6 + VL5 is also a Modified Live Vaccine (MLV). You DO NOT want to vaccinate a pregnant cow or the calf nursing a pregnant cow if you do not have a history of previous vaccination. You can abort the cow - if she is pregnant.
I don't believe in wasting my money on killed vaccines, but this is a good case for the product. Inforce III is safe for pregnant cattle (I believe) and is a great product.

Yes Jeanne, it is safe for all classes of cattle including pregnant cows.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Davemk
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Davemk » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:38 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Let's back up a little. I use BoviShield 5L5, so I am going to "assume" Vira Sheild 6 + VL5 is also a Modified Live Vaccine (MLV). You DO NOT want to vaccinate a pregnant cow or the calf nursing a pregnant cow if you do not have a history of previous vaccination. You can abort the cow - if she is pregnant.
I don't believe in wasting my money on killed vaccines, but this is a good case for the product. Inforce III is safe for pregnant cattle (I believe) and is a great product.

Must be different studies up north than here. I'll quit vaccinations if I have to use live vaccines.

Killed are not a waste of money.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:05 am

TGF - I think you are referring to the killed vs live?? Killed has a use, but people have to realize that it does not give the length of protection that live gives. That's not North vs South LOL
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:23 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:TGF - I think you are referring to the killed vs live?? Killed has a use, but people have to realize that it does not give the length of protection that live gives. That's not North vs South LOL

Never heard that or wasn't paying attention...possibly both. I know most the university vets preach using MLV, but every single one says MLV comes with more risk of unwanted side effects.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:52 pm

True, if you don't read the labels carefully. They are safe if you vaccinate on a timely program. Cows need to be vaccinated AT LEAST 30 days PRIOR to breeding, each & every year. Then you are safe to vaccinate your calves. I vaccinate using BS5L5 - cows prior to breeding & calves at 3 & 4 months of age. That way they are covered & I don't have to re-vaccinate until about a month after weaning. My feedlot buyer LOVES my steers. Says they stay healthy compared to other "precondition" programs.
0 x

Coosh71
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Coosh71 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:20 am

Agreed, virashield for cow and I use covexin 8 on calves. Booster at weaning off calf for both. Good luck
0 x

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:54 am

What angus9259 said. Put her in a chute and collect a fecal sample. A tablespoon in a small ziplock bag is all you need. It'll cost you around $35 for the test. Send it to K-State or where ever. Labs have the necessary information on their websites. If you ever introduce Johne's into your herd, you'll wish to h*ll you had tested. There was a reason she was at the sale barn. I've never known anyone who walked through their herd and picked out their best cow to take to the sale barn. I ended up with Johne's through a Registered cow, purchased as a yearling, from a reputable registered herd. I've spent close to $1,000 in testing and am not done. I truly feel testing for Johne's is more important than any vaccine or worming at this point. Knowing what I now know, there is absolutely no way ever I'd buy a cow at a sale barn. I wouldn't even let her load in my trailer.
1 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:26 pm

JSV, how long is the length of protection of (ML) BS5? Of VS6 (killed)?
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:17 am

MLV is good for 12 months after that get their initial immunity. It may be longer, but that is all they will claim. In the "dog world", breeders are recommending doing complete puppy to adult vaccines, then they are good for life (some breeders).
I vaccinate new calves at 3 months, 4 months, then about 1 month after weaning. Then, once a year at least 30 days prior to breeding (imperative that it is AT LEAST 30 days prior to breeding).
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”