Poop questions

Cattle problems.
Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Poop questions

Postby Highpoint » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Does anyone else use the poop app and if so can you figure out the way to tell good forage. Most look to be stacked. Never thought I would be asking such a question but appears many people can tell since knowledge for years.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Poop questions

Postby Aaron » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:47 pm

On the tipping point of not enough protein/too much fiber.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Thank you as I read now about lactating cows and they require more protein. The suggestion was protein blocks which I will study. If ok I will post another picture as some of the poop doesn't stack really looks more broken up.
0 x

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 pm

This is why this site is so helpful to a cattle care giver like me. I have been adding molasses to a side water container with Apple cider vinegar. This is what research from OSU "When cows ingest the simple sugars in molasses, it creates a lowered rumen pH that can lead to digestive disruption, health risks and economic disadvantages (Oklahoma State University study). Called the Negative Associative Effect, this decrease in rumen pH inhibits the optimal microbial population in ruminant digestive systems when they're fed forages. This can create health problems and cause the animals to eat greater amounts of forage or hay, in order to buffer their rumen pH back up."

You just saved me time and money. Thank you again. I'll know soon if removing this will work.
0 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:04 am

My wife used to use vinegar in the water medicater of chicken houses when they had a loose stool. Two different digestive systems but Iimagine the same principle, someone can correct me if I'm wrong .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:26 am

Definitely need to find a protein supplement. I like the pile to splat, no runs.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:39 am

Highpoint wrote:This is why this site is so helpful to a cattle care giver like me. I have been adding molasses to a side water container with Apple cider vinegar. This is what research from OSU "When cows ingest the simple sugars in molasses, it creates a lowered rumen pH that can lead to digestive disruption, health risks and economic disadvantages (Oklahoma State University study). Called the Negative Associative Effect, this decrease in rumen pH inhibits the optimal microbial population in ruminant digestive systems when they're fed forages. This can create health problems and cause the animals to eat greater amounts of forage or hay, in order to buffer their rumen pH back up."

You just saved me time and money. Thank you again. I'll know soon if removing this will work.

Are your cattle grazing or eating hay?? Either way it appears much of it is undigestible and little more than filler. Rumen ph should not be a problem on a forage based diet. Personally (and just my opinion) you're wasting a lot of money feeding all of this vinegar, molasses and other stuff when you really don't know what the problem is that you are attacking. Get some higher quality roughage and/or supplement the cow with some additional protein, step back and watch.
2 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:59 pm

Highpoint wrote:Image

Does anyone else use the poop app and if so can you figure out the way to tell good forage. Most look to be stacked. Never thought I would be asking such a question but appears many people can tell since knowledge for years.

Is the orange thing that looks like a trailer tongue a poop app? How does it work?
2 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:53 pm

It doesn't make any difference whether it "stacks" or not. It's too dry. It is more like horse turds. Not enough protein.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:59 pm

callmefence wrote:
Highpoint wrote:Image

Is the orange thing that looks like a trailer tongue a poop app? How does it work?

It is a trailer hitch. Took picture between.

I saw on other site that it can tell you how your cattle are doing. The bull poop looked great but the cow poop did not and they are nursing. The cattle look great according to a couple of friends who have raised cattle but thanks to this site I realize molasses is not something to add to their diet. According to animal scientist at OSU it causes inbalace of ph for nursing cattle and they eat more to offset ph. I will give it a few days and if their poop does not return to normal I will find a good source of protein.
0 x

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:12 am

TexasBred wrote:
Highpoint wrote:This is why this site is so helpful to a cattle care giver like me. I have been adding molasses to a side water container with Apple cider vinegar. This is what research from OSU "When cows ingest the simple sugars in molasses, it creates a lowered rumen pH that can lead to digestive disruption, health risks and economic disadvantages (Oklahoma State University study). Called the Negative Associative Effect, this decrease in rumen pH inhibits the optimal microbial population in ruminant digestive systems when they're fed forages. This can create health problems and cause the animals to eat greater amounts of forage or hay, in order to buffer their rumen pH back up."

Are your cattle grazing or eating hay?? Either way it appears much of it is undigestible and little more than filler. Rumen ph should not be a problem on a forage based diet. Personally (and just my opinion) you're wasting a lot of money feeding all of this vinegar, molasses and other stuff when you really don't know what the problem is that you are attacking. Get some higher quality roughage and/or supplement the cow with some additional protein, step back and watch.

The cattle are grazing. I have been trying to give organic supplements instead of non-organic because of research showing calves gain around 50 lbs more here is the article. http://www.beefmagazine.com/nutrition/f ... 637d7077a6

The poop looked like picture two where it was good until I added the molasses. If ok I'll share another picture in day or so. The entire herd is around 200 and I am only taking care of 9. Experimenting so to speak. They will be bringing 90 calves over to ween next week and this will help me know how they are doing too. The cattle have some bluestem at the back Bermuda and crab. Then the rest is stuff they do not like as well.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:02 am

First, there was a 25# difference between organic & inorganic mineral. Organic minerals are trace minerals that are easily absorbed by their body. Organic trace minerals are about the only thing I purchase that has any organic anything (including people food).
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:12 am

Highpoint wrote:The cattle are grazing. I have been trying to give organic supplements instead of non-organic because of research showing calves gain around 50 lbs more here is the article. http://www.beefmagazine.com/nutrition/f ... 637d7077a6

The poop looked like picture two where it was good until I added the molasses. If ok I'll share another picture in day or so. The entire herd is around 200 and I am only taking care of 9. Experimenting so to speak. They will be bringing 90 calves over to ween next week and this will help me know how they are doing too. The cattle have some bluestem at the back Bermuda and crab. Then the rest is stuff they do not like as well.

Hightpoint I understand what you're trying to do but when the article uses the words "Organic" and "Inorganic" when talking about minerals I think you missed what they meant. Do a google search on oxides, sulfates and then do another on "chelates"....chelates are organic. THEN.....begin to supplement your cattle with a few pounds of good commercial feed every day. ;-)
1 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:11 am

TexasBred wrote:
Highpoint wrote:The cattle are grazing. I have been trying to give organic supplements instead of non-organic because of research showing calves gain around 50 lbs more here is the article. http://www.beefmagazine.com/nutrition/f ... 637d7077a6

Hightpoint I understand what you're trying to do but when the article uses the words "Organic" and "Inorganic" when talking about minerals I think you missed what they meant. Do a google search on oxides, sulfates and then do another on "chelates"....chelates are organic. THEN.....begin to supplement your cattle with a few pounds of good commercial feed every day. ;-)

Thank you Texas Board that was good to know as the supplements I am using do chelate but are pennies compared to what is sold at coop. My tests have to include convince and costs but also insure good health. The poop I found today has gone back to a caked look but if protein is still needed I will include.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Highpoint wrote:Thank you Texas Board that was good to know as the supplements I am using do chelate but are pennies compared to what is sold at coop. My tests have to include convince and costs but also insure good health. The poop I found today has gone back to a caked look but if protein is still needed I will include.

Then you're really not serious about herd health nor profitability. A bag of mineral containing chelates cost only a very few dollars more than one containing nothing but oxides and sulfates and over 90% of the chelated minerals are acutally utilized by the cattle instead of simply passing through and ending up on the ground. That is waste !!!! But I guess you can justify it by saying you are improving the soil by adding rock aka, oxides. I dont think you really want help or opinions. Just wants someone to be a sympathetic sounding board for your so called research. Best wishes.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”