Steer just ate a bunch of wilted cherry leaves

Cattle problems.
ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Re: Steer just ate a bunch of wilted cherry leaves

Postby ohiosteve » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm sure you all have been worried sick about my steer, so I am happy to say that he is just fine today.
1 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:22 pm

ohiosteve wrote:I'm sure you all have been worried sick about my steer, so I am happy to say that he is just fine today.

Thanks for the follow-up! :)

I know I can rest easier tonight. ;-)
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Postby jerry27150 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:39 pm

from what I have heard from older farmers they will die in a few hours if they eat fresh wilted ones
2 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:57 pm

We had a rented place where they were cutting back all the fence rows and there were a bunch of wild cherry. Luckily it is divided into 3 sections for rotational grazing. Called the vet as there were several big trees down with the leaves just starting to wilt....2-4 days down. Vet said that fresh, if they pull them off the tree, is no problem, 1-7 days minimum when they are cut and wilted according to weather and temps, once dried and brown no problem. So, our rule of thumb is MINIMUM of 2 weeks after cutting before anything goes in the field if the branches/limbs can't be moved. In this case, they were chipping all the brush/limbs etc, right into the truck and then taking them and dumping the chips for the owners to use in a big pile not near the pastures. But I worried since we were going to rotate into that field and found the cut limbs. So we fed a couple rolls of hay and kept the cattle out until all the chipping was done, and it was 2 weeks after the trees were cut too.
0 x

Wendyfhdqs
Beginner
Beginner

Steer just ate a bunch of wilted cherry leaves

Postby Wendyfhdqs » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:53 am

Earl and Yoda have eaten these before and have never had a problem. I would assume that her digestive system can break it down?
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:52 am

the danger is real.
the results of an overdose are pretty sudden.
if they eat green leaves they are okay
if they eat dry leaves they are okay.
it is the freshly wilted that will kill...
1 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:51 am

jerry27150 wrote:from what I have heard from older farmers they will die in a few hours if they eat fresh wilted ones

That's what my Grandpa always said. As soon as a big limb with fresh leaves on it would fall in the pasture near the house, he would always make sure he got it out of the pasture ASAP.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:44 am

without knowing we had the cows around a dead cherry branch with leaves on it.. they didn't touch them! I guess they know it ain't good for them!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ClinchValley » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:10 am

We are shade poor on our farm. Of the 20 trees we have, i'd say 8-10 are wild cherry. I've wanted to cut them since we got here. But cannot bring myself to do so. Gotten lucky so far. Papaw was lucky too.
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:59 am

Another update, the steer in question is now deceased, he died 9 days after eating the cherry leaves. The good news is it was caused by the butcher bolt. He hung at 818 and I have 501 lbs of beef in our personal deep freeze. I'm glad the cherry didn't kill him because his marbling is excellent the butcher was impressed.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:11 pm

Several years ago I lost a reg. Brangus bull to a cherry tree, Had a windstorm and split a tree. Found him dead in the field. Thought he had been hit by lightning, then found the tree, his were the only tracks in the mud, I guess the cows were smarter. It was spring and there was lots of pasture.
I now have a vendetta against cherry trees, every winter i cut all i can find, as far as I know I only have one left. My place has woods that used to be thick with wild cherry.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”