Nutrition and Development of Stomach

Cattle problems.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Nutrition and Development of Stomach

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:31 am

That's interesting Ron. We creep feed everything that stands a chance at being sold as breeding stock. It seems like two weeks is early for a calf to follow it's buddies into a creep feeder to see how it's done.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 am

I've had many calves chewing cud at 2 weeks old, earliest I've ever seen it is about 10 days, usually it's the bigger calves that have lots of milk that are first to get onto solid food. I've had lick tubs out for them and they really didn't seem to go for that very much, they do love to just chew on stuff though.. they'll start with coarse stemmy stuff and just munch on it, after a while they'll start liking the "good" stuff more
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:59 am

True Grit Farms wrote:That's interesting Ron. We creep feed everything that stands a chance at being sold as breeding stock. It seems like two weeks is early for a calf to follow it's buddies into a creep feeder to see how it's done.

Vince, I don't have a creep feeder. My cows tow the calves up to the headquarters where they water (BTW: the baby calves are already drinking from the autowater system). Where the water is I have a double gate. I open the gate, leave the two gates open, stretch a hotwire between the posts about 40 inches high. The calves can walk under but the cows stop. I put a trough only a few feet inside the gate opening. The calves wonder in and start licking at the feed. It takes a while but in time, it becomes a habit.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”