Thiamin Deficiency

Cattle problems.
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Thiamin Deficiency

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:44 am

I've got a friend with a steer that is lethargic, won't move to eat or drink, and is seizing (he just sent me a video). The vet thinks it's a thiamin deficiency. He gave a shot, and they're going to do a regiment of shots here in the next few days. Has anyone heard of this? Will the steer come of out it or is this a "start digging a hole" type of deal?

Thanks
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Thiamin Deficiency

Postby TexasBred » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:25 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:I've got a friend with a steer that is lethargic, won't move to eat or drink, and is seizing (he just sent me a video). The vet thinks it's a thiamin deficiency. He gave a shot, and they're going to do a regiment of shots here in the next few days. Has anyone heard of this? Will the steer come of out it or is this a "start digging a hole" type of deal?

Thanks

What had the steer been eating?? Most likely grain and not enough roughage. If so then yes it could be a thiamine deficiency.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:51 pm

I think he'd been eating some hay, grass and a bit of grain. He ended up dying.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:03 pm

Polioencephalomalacia, yes they can recover with aggressive B1 treatment.

Ken
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:49 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Polioencephalomalacia, yes they can recover with aggressive B1 treatment.

Ken

Isn't that what sirloin or someone-or-other used to post about? Or am I thinking about someone else and some other "polio...." issue? :?
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:49 pm

That sucks!

Where's Sir Loin when you need him!

If they have a number of animals it may be wise to give them some preventative medicine at this point, and to monitor sulfur in the water and feed?
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:50 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:Polioencephalomalacia, yes they can recover with aggressive B1 treatment.

Ken

Isn't that what sirloin or someone-or-other used to post about? Or am I thinking about someone else and some other "polio...." issue? :?

Yes, except he made it sound like it was a bacterial or viral disease and didn't seem to care to differentiate PEM from Polio known in humans, they're utterly different diseases
1 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:

Ken

Yes, except he made it sound like it was a bacterial or viral disease and didn't seem to care to differentiate PEM from Polio known in humans, they're utterly different diseases

Yes, they are two very different things.

Thanks Nesi, good to know my memory is still okay. ;-)
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Good for you, not for me.. I had to look it up due to a brain fart! I knew if I searched for Polioencephalomalacia I'd find it though... Then there was NC Liz with more of the same.. and Flounder that manages to stick around
1 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:47 pm

Nesikep wrote:Good for you, not for me.. I had to look it up due to a brain fart! I knew if I searched for Polioencephalomalacia I'd find it though... Then there was NC Liz with more of the same.. and Flounder that manages to stick around

Oh Lord! I had forgotten about NC Liz! Awful!!! I guess that's why I had blocked/forgotten that poster!
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Branguscowgirl had a very similar experience.
It turned out to be a selenium deficiency
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:04 pm

If there's any suspicion of mineral imbalances, I'd definitely recommend a blood panel on them... way better than shooting in the dark.
2 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:23 am

Nesikep wrote:If there's any suspicion of mineral imbalances, I'd definitely recommend a blood panel on them... way better than shooting in the dark.

I would certainly be worth the few dollars it will cost. Not very expensive at all.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”