mineral with aureomycin

Cattle problems.
Farmgirl
Rancher
Rancher

mineral with aureomycin

Postby Farmgirl » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:21 am

Heard from a relative who recently lost 8 cows to anaplasmosis. Confirmed my a vet. Vet recommended mineral with aureomycin. Vet is willing to write the VFD. Only place they could find it was some distance away and required a minimum order of 1000#. Pre-VFD we fed a mineral with CTC. Do feed companies still have mineral with CTC (aureomycyin) or is it a special order?
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Re: mineral with aureomycin

Postby tom4018 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:42 am

You would still have to have a VFD. Local dealers stock it here.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:00 am

I get it by the 50# bag. VFD is required like Tom said. Sold everywhere around me, and this is not cattle country.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:00 am

Farmgirl wrote:Heard from a relative who recently lost 8 cows to anaplasmosis. Confirmed my a vet. Vet recommended mineral with aureomycin. Vet is willing to write the VFD. Only place they could find it was some distance away and required a minimum order of 1000#. Pre-VFD we fed a mineral with CTC. Do feed companies still have mineral with CTC (aureomycyin) or is it a special order?

Prescription only....don't know how dealers could stock it without having ordered it "per script" for specific customer. But I've been wrong before.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 am

TexasBred wrote:
Farmgirl wrote:Heard from a relative who recently lost 8 cows to anaplasmosis. Confirmed my a vet. Vet recommended mineral with aureomycin. Vet is willing to write the VFD. Only place they could find it was some distance away and required a minimum order of 1000#. Pre-VFD we fed a mineral with CTC. Do feed companies still have mineral with CTC (aureomycyin) or is it a special order?

Prescription only....don't know how dealers could stock it without having ordered it "per script" for specific customer. But I've been wrong before.

Around here by this time of year, these feed stores are really pimping the medicated mineral because they over stocked expecting more VFD's. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:47 am

The feed mill I use is not carrying it anymore. Said last week they had to buy a large amount to stock it and not enough people has the VFD so they were not going to stock it anymore. I think there is a lot of paper work that they have to do also.

I bet the person that lost the cows has a carrier cow, they need to find out which one it is and send it to slaughter. Make sure it does not go to someone's pasture sell it to be killed
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Farmgirl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farmgirl » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:11 am

Bryant,

They treated all remaining animals with LA200 or LA300 per vet instructions. I read an article that said even the carrier could be cleared with antibiotics. Don't know much about it. Never had to deal with it, Thank God!
0 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Farmgirl wrote:Bryant,

They treated all remaining animals with LA200 or LA300 per vet instructions. I read an article that said even the carrier could be cleared with antibiotics. Don't know much about it. Never had to deal with it, Thank God!

good luck with that, hope they changed needles between each cow. I have been down this road before. If one ever gets it and recovers, It aint staying at my place. :2cents:
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Farmgirl wrote:Bryant,

Hope you don't either,but with that misquote outbreak y'all had I'd be Real,maybe even overly' cautious.....
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:50 am

Treatment with injectible oxytetracycline (LA 200/300) WILL NOT 'clear' the infection. You cannot get enough oxytet in a cow, without replacing blood volume with it, to clear the organism.
We used to think that we could clear with two injections, or that animals that survived would clear the infection on their own. We now know that that is NOT the case... it was just that the serologic test we had for the disease was so poor that we 'missed' a large number of the infected animals ... it worked OK on clinically-affected cattle, but missed those persistently-infected 'carrier' cows.

Farmgirl's relatives should be on the lookout for additional cases... the LA will only suppress replication of the Anaplasma organism... if any of those treated animals were early in the incubation phase of the disease, once the antibiotics are depleted, the organism will pick back up right where it left off, and they may have clinical cases and death loses 3-6 weeks or so down the road.
If they treated every animal, they still need to feed (at minimum) a medicated mineral for the remainder of the fly season - but be aware that they're only controlling clinical disease... animals may still become infected, and some may not get enough CTC to prevent developing clinical disease... and any that survive &/or are infected, will be persistently infected for LIFE, and can continue to serve as a source of infection for any naive animals in the herd (or the neighbor's herd across the fence).

CTC can be fed at a high level (4X the approved level in medicated mineral) for 60-80 days and clear most(but perhaps not all) animals... but those 'cleared' animals are subject to reinfection and developing clinical disease (and death) once again. High level feeding is 'extra-label drug use', and may not even be allowed under the current VFD regulations.
1 x

Farmgirl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farmgirl » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:35 am

Thanks to everyone who replied, especially Lucky_P. I will pass this on to them.

Farmgirl
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”