Stagy Steer Deal ?

Cattle problems.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Stagy Steer Deal ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:24 pm

Got some discounted 6 weight steers. A couple look stagy. I can see a lump on the belly of one. What is the best way to remove it?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Stagy Steer Deal ?

Postby Aaron » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Got some discounted 6 weight steers. A couple look stagy. I can see a lump on the belly of one. What is the best way to remove it?

With a trailer back to stockyard. Some guys are lucky removing them, some aren't.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:48 pm

A really good vet and that cost more than its worth. I agree with Aaron.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:25 pm

A lump on the belly? Leave it alone.

I've recut stags that were castrated when one testicle was undescended and later dropped.
But if you can't get the testicle to move easily to the sack area, it's behind muscle tissue or intestine and as Kenny said,
then a Vet which will cost you more than it's worth. Feed 'em out as far as you can or if doing that causes trouble then
back to the ring for the next guy.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:59 am

Ya gotta know when to hold um...
0 x
Stocker Steve

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:12 am

Yep; let it ride...
I wouldn't take it on... could turn into a disaster, and likely the setback he'd have would eat up any discount you'd take on him - not to mention what I (or any other vet) would need to charge you for trying it
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:55 am

I'd also make sure he isn't exposed to any heifers. I weaned 10 days ago and one of my crew noticed a steer looked a little bullish. Not really visible just looking at him but could definitely feel the nut. Elected against surgery because of too much stress coupled with weaning so he's now at the barn with a steer from last year we're feeding out. I'm always diligent about pulling the bulls 4-6 weeks prior to weaning and giving the heifers a shot of Lute but now I'm going to have to give them another round next month if I want to sell them guaranteed open. :bang:
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:30 am

You could make some money with a short term feeding. Separate the stags, and put them on a ultra low roughage, high corn diet, for say 30 days. Help slow down some frame growth, and help feed their high energy needs. But that may be more of a break even kind of thing, but hey corns cheap, and only getting cheaper! :lol:
1 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”