wooden feed trough?

Cattle problems.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

wooden feed trough?

Postby greybeard » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:51 pm

I never really thought much about it before, but read elsewhere yesterday that PT wood shouldn't be used for cattle feed troughs due to the chemicals in the treatment process. I've used it for years, and as far as I know, never had any problems.. Any truth to this?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: wooden feed trough?

Postby dun » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:01 pm

I've heard of that and sort of wondered. But I quit using wood years ago due to breakage, bolts pulling through etc.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Well, the few that I did have, long ago, never seemed to be a problem.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Txpiney » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:14 pm

greybeard wrote:I never really thought much about it before, but read elsewhere yesterday that PT wood shouldn't be used for cattle feed troughs due to the chemicals in the treatment process. I've used it for years, and as far as I know, never had any problems.. Any truth to this?

I hope not, I've got 3 of these. Had them for 2 years now. Most people around my neck o woods use something similar. The 16' one where the main herd is 10+ years old.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:15 pm

It's probably 'straining at a gnat'.
Old CCA-treated lumber *might* have leached a small amount of arsenic, but I"d hazard a guess that it was not enough to cause a problem. The new stuff is less toxic.
I wouldn't throw a useful treated wooden trough away... but might not use any old stockpiled CCA-treated lumber to build one now.

HOWEVER!!! Anymore, the most common source of arsenic poisoning in cattle is from people burning old CCA-treated lumber and allowing cattle access to the burn pile. They will eat up those ashes like they're candy... and die.
2 x

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:32 pm

i dont think it would hurt them but personally i wont buy that junk, do like they did in the old days and cut a tree off the farm and haul it to a guy with a sawmill and use that lumber! boycott that lowes garbage
0 x

ClinchValley
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ClinchValley » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:33 am

Lucky_P wrote:Anymore, the most common source of arsenic poisoning in cattle is from people burning old CCA-treated lumber and allowing cattle access to the burn pile. They will eat up those ashes like they're candy... and die.

Would an ash pile from cross ties have a similar affect on cattle?
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:29 am

I would think not... but the crossties I grew up using were creosote treated... I presume that's still the norm, not treatment with CCA(chromated copper arsenate).
If creosote-treated, I'd see no likelihood of arsenic poisoning from consumption of the wood ashes.
0 x

coachg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby coachg » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Just built a mineral feeder for my heifer group b/c they will turn over a bought one just for the fun of it ! Pressure treated with a metal roof over it like a deer feeder. So far they haven't turned it over yet ! Lol
0 x
John 3:16 For God so loved the world...

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:15 am

I had 5 wood troughs that I left behind when I moved. They were just a 16 foot 2x12 with a 2x6 fastened to the side. Each one had 2 old tires bolted together at each end for legs (17 inch tires work best). Holes drilled to allow rain water to drain out. Standard lumber is fairly cheap. Old tires from a tire store are free. I used them for 6 years. I could count the times one got knocked over on one hand. When they do you just tip them back. They still had plenty of life left in them. They are just so cheap to build it wasn't worth hauling them when I moved.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Dave wrote:I had 5 wood troughs that I left behind when I moved. They were just a 16 foot 2x12 with a 2x6 fastened to the side. Each one had 2 old tires bolted together at each end for legs (17 inch tires work best). Holes drilled to allow rain water to drain out. Standard lumber is fairly cheap. Old tires from a tire store are free. I used them for 6 years. I could count the times one got knocked over on one hand. When they do you just tip them back. They still had plenty of life left in them. They are just so cheap to build it wasn't worth hauling them when I moved.

I assume you mean something like this?

If so, I need to make about 20 and sell them for a little over whatever the lumber costs.. just to get rid of the old tires I have here..It's gonna cost me $7 each to get rid of them not counting what it costs in gas to haul them to the tire grinder place..
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:44 pm

greybeard wrote:
Dave wrote:I had 5 wood troughs that I left behind when I moved. They were just a 16 foot 2x12 with a 2x6 fastened to the side. Each one had 2 old tires bolted together at each end for legs (17 inch tires work best). Holes drilled to allow rain water to drain out. Standard lumber is fairly cheap. Old tires from a tire store are free. I used them for 6 years. I could count the times one got knocked over on one hand. When they do you just tip them back. They still had plenty of life left in them. They are just so cheap to build it wasn't worth hauling them when I moved.

If so, I need to make about 20 and sell them for a little over whatever the lumber costs.. just to get rid of the old tires I have here..It's gonna cost me $7 each to get rid of them not counting what it costs in gas to haul them to the tire grinder place..

We have an amnesty day here once a year, when you can just drop them off. I figured everybody did.

I copied Jed's troughs, I like them as well as anything I've ever used. Also, 3 barrels bolted together, with a bag and a half of concrete in each is a pretty nice mineral station. Cheap enough, I'd rather make some more, than keep moving mine from field to field.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:51 pm

That is a pain in the butt ain't it but since we have cubes here, it isn't a terribly big problem.
I have the same problem with mineral feeders tho. Not enough trees with good limbs to hang barrels from in some areas and too many in others.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:26 pm

greybeard wrote:

That is what they look like. I put the tires in about 3 feet from the end. They are pretty indestructible. I say 17 inch tires because it give you more room to reach in to bolt the trough to the tires.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”