Mineral Quality

Cattle problems.
User avatar
pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va

Mineral Quality

Postby pricefarm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:33 am

The CO-OP that I have been buying minerals from closed there doors on Thursday due to bankruptcy. So I had to go to Southern States and buy there brand minerals. Are they any good? I had feed them before but it seems the Purina mineral was better. I feed the All Season wind and rain.
Image
0 x

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:28 am
Location: East Tennessee

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby ClinchValley » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:36 am

How much is a bag of that? IMO I would give it a try.

I get our's at the Washington County (Johnson City), TN Co-Op. Not sure of your location, but they have the best mineral selection i've seen around my area. I believe i pay 17-18 dollars per bag. We have been using Purina 315N. They have quite a few choices.
1 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1122
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby ddd75 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:29 am

no, thats not a good mineral.

try to find one w/o grain by products, preservatives, all that junk.

Also, get chelated minerals.
1 x

User avatar
pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby pricefarm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:47 am

ClinchValley wrote:How much is a bag of that? IMO I would give it a try.

I get our's at the Washington County (Johnson City), TN Co-Op. Not sure of your location, but they have the best mineral selection i've seen around my area. I believe i pay 17-18 dollars per bag. We have been using Purina 315N. They have quite a few choices.


Iam in Bristol Va. I have been there before but it's really out of my way to go there. I guess I could go and buy a ton at a time so it would last me a while. It was 15$ a bag
0 x

User avatar
pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby pricefarm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 am

ddd75 wrote:no, thats not a good mineral.

try to find one w/o grain by products, preservatives, all that junk.

Also, get chelated minerals.


That's all SS has and said that was the best mineral they had for cows. I'll check out Performance Feed and see what they carry , its close by to where I live. I have bought from them before but had some issues and didn't really want to to business with them.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1122
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby ddd75 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:02 am

i like southern states for a lot of things but feed and mineral is not one.

i have to drive 3 hours to get my mineral, i just buy a lot at a time. Around here all they have is crap with alfalfa, grain, molasses, salt.. be nice. I want mineral, not all that. My cows won't even touch the stuff.
0 x

User avatar
pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby pricefarm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:06 am

ddd75 wrote:i like southern states for a lot of things but feed and mineral is not one.

i have to drive 3 hours to get my mineral, i just buy a lot at a time. Around here all they have is crap with alfalfa, grain, molasses, salt.. be nice. I want mineral, not all that. My cows won't even touch the stuff.


I feed there minerals before and had a problem with them eatting the recommended about especially the high mag mineral they carry.
0 x

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6516
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 am

ddd75 wrote:i like southern states for a lot of things but feed and mineral is not one.

i have to drive 3 hours to get my mineral, i just buy a lot at a time. Around here all they have is crap with alfalfa, grain, molasses, salt.. be nice. I want mineral, not all that. My cows won't even touch the stuff.


One of the co-ops where I go, from time to time, is a Southern States but they carry (and I buy) the "Young's Beef & Brood Cow" brand line of mineral. No added grains, bran or fillers.

If you're a member of a/your cattle association, perhaps the association buys a good product, in bulk which the members can purchase.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4579
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 pm

pricefarm wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:How much is a bag of that? IMO I would give it a try.

I get our's at the Washington County (Johnson City), TN Co-Op. Not sure of your location, but they have the best mineral selection i've seen around my area. I believe i pay 17-18 dollars per bag. We have been using Purina 315N. They have quite a few choices.


Iam in Bristol Va. I have been there before but it's really out of my way to go there. I guess I could go and buy a ton at a time so it would last me a while. It was 15$ a bag


https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... 50-lb.aspx
Here's the SS mineral we use when it's not fly season.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Southwest Va

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby pricefarm » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:06 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
pricefarm wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:How much is a bag of that? IMO I would give it a try.

I get our's at the Washington County (Johnson City), TN Co-Op. Not sure of your location, but they have the best mineral selection i've seen around my area. I believe i pay 17-18 dollars per bag. We have been using Purina 315N. They have quite a few choices.


Iam in Bristol Va. I have been there before but it's really out of my way to go there. I guess I could go and buy a ton at a time so it would last me a while. It was 15$ a bag


https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... 50-lb.aspx
Here's the SS mineral we use when it's not fly season.


Do u feed the high mag all year ?
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1122
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby ddd75 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:24 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
pricefarm wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:How much is a bag of that? IMO I would give it a try.

I get our's at the Washington County (Johnson City), TN Co-Op. Not sure of your location, but they have the best mineral selection i've seen around my area. I believe i pay 17-18 dollars per bag. We have been using Purina 315N. They have quite a few choices.


Iam in Bristol Va. I have been there before but it's really out of my way to go there. I guess I could go and buy a ton at a time so it would last me a while. It was 15$ a bag


https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... 50-lb.aspx
Here's the SS mineral we use when it's not fly season.



that looks pretty good, whats it costing a bag?
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28284
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby TexasBred » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:40 pm

pricefarm wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i like southern states for a lot of things but feed and mineral is not one.

i have to drive 3 hours to get my mineral, i just buy a lot at a time. Around here all they have is crap with alfalfa, grain, molasses, salt.. be nice. I want mineral, not all that. My cows won't even touch the stuff.


I feed there minerals before and had a problem with them eatting the recommended about especially the high mag mineral they carry.
Price isn't bad but personally I wouldn't feed it because it appears to be mostly oxides which pass right through the cow at the rate of about 90%. Preservatives don't hurt anything but just an added expense. Grain by-products or put in the mineral to make it palatable. ALL mineral will have either grain by-products, plant protein products and/or dried molasses to encourage the cattle to eat it. Without them they won't touch it.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:28 am
Location: East Tennessee

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby ClinchValley » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:11 am

What will be on the ingredients list for a chelated form of minerals? Here I was thinking i had a decent mineral. Will it say "chelated" anywhere?
0 x
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4579
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:17 am

For starters a bag of good mineral will cost around $20 - 25. a bag.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3277
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:27 am

ClinchValley wrote:What will be on the ingredients list for a chelated form of minerals? Here I was thinking i had a decent mineral. Will it say "chelated" anywhere?


Yes. It should say chelated. If you are not sure, look the brand and product name up under the company that makes it. There should be a description of the product.
0 x


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ccr and 6 guests