Mineral Quality

Cattle problems.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Mineral Quality

Postby TexasBred » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:25 am

ClinchValley wrote:What will be on the ingredients list for a chelated form of minerals? Here I was thinking i had a decent mineral. Will it say "chelated" anywhere?
Depending on the type of chelates. Various types are disclosed s chelates, proteinates and amino acid complexes. Some new stuff out as well called hydroxyl trace minerals but to me their little better than sulfates.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 am

TexasBred wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:What will be on the ingredients list for a chelated form of minerals? Here I was thinking i had a decent mineral. Will it say "chelated" anywhere?
Depending on the type of chelates. Various types are disclosed s chelates, proteinates and amino acid complexes. Some new stuff out as well called hydroxyl trace minerals but to me their little better than sulfates.

Tb what do you use?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:50 am

5S Cattle wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

Tb what do you use?
5S I've been using Purina All Season AV-4.......all zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt or in amino acid complex form, cattle consume at recommended rates and it's doing a good job. (And I typically hate Purina products) :lol:
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:30 pm

ddd75 wrote:i like southern states for a lot of things but feed and mineral is not one.

i have to drive 3 hours to get my mineral, i just buy a lot at a time. Around here all they have is crap with alfalfa, grain, molasses, salt.. be nice. I want mineral, not all that. My cows won't even touch the stuff.

What mineral do you use? You go to Mayslick Mill. They order Vitaferm Concept Aid special for four producers including myself. Some of their mineral is not any good but if that is what a customer wants, that's what they sell.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
ddd75 wrote:i like southern states for a lot of things but feed and mineral is not one.

i have to drive 3 hours to get my mineral, i just buy a lot at a time. Around here all they have is crap with alfalfa, grain, molasses, salt.. be nice. I want mineral, not all that. My cows won't even touch the stuff.

What mineral do you use? You go to Mayslick Mill. They order Vitaferm Concept Aid special for four producers including myself. Some of their mineral is not any good but if that is what a customer wants, that's what they sell.

i get the wilson chelated mineral.
0 x

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:34 am

TB - Yea, I have to agree with you on the Purina. Although I've never hated their products, I wasn't to fond of their prices. I'm using their products now (after a long debate) and can really see a difference in the cattle. I've been using the mineral tubs but will go to the loose mineral here once the tub is finished.
1 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:45 pm

TexasBred wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Depending on the type of chelates. Various types are disclosed s chelates, proteinates and amino acid complexes. Some new stuff out as well called hydroxyl trace minerals but to me their little better than sulfates.

Tb what do you use?
5S I've been using Purina All Season AV-4.......all zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt or in amino acid complex form, cattle consume at recommended rates and it's doing a good job. (And I typically hate Purina products) :lol:

Year round?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:26 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:Tb what do you use?

Year round?

Yessir.
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:17 am

TexasBred wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
TexasBred wrote:5S I've been using Purina All Season AV-4.......all zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt or in amino acid complex form, cattle consume at recommended rates and it's doing a good job. (And I typically hate Purina products) :lol:

Year round?

Yessir.

Thanks TB
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:41 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:For starters a bag of good mineral will cost around $20 - 25. a bag.

Closer to $30/bag here. I have to stay on my local guy to keep it in stock or drive a good distance to get purina W&R.
Still amazed at how many people buy nothing but those red blocks for $7-$8 each and think they're doin great...
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Stanford777
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Stanford777 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:42 pm

I use the vitaferm concept aid 8s year round for the most part, until fly season, then we switch to vitaferm heat with IGR. They may blaze through the first bag of each one when u switch between those two, but my cattle look better, breed better, and perform better than any other mineral we have tried. The down side is we spend about $35 bucks or more for a bag of mineral
0 x

kilroy60
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kilroy60 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:37 am

Yea, good minerals will cost but I'm becoming a believer in that good minerals make a difference in growth and health of cattle. And in the long run, the cost will pay off.
2 x

ufo_chris
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ufo_chris » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:49 am

[quote="greybeard"
Still amazed at how many people buy nothing but those red blocks for $7-$8 each and think they're doin great...[/quote]

I've only had cattle for 10 years but thank God found out in the first year to use a good loose mineral.
I am amazed that vets do not stress that , especially if they know u are not that experienced.
We are in a selenium deficient area so even more important to get the right mineral.
I know people that only had a few head and never fed any minerals and lost a couple of cows and a couple of calves and vet never once asked about minerals.
My vet (really good vet) never told me either.
Had to find out by doing a lot of research.
It should be a basic after water and food!
0 x

ufo_chris
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ufo_chris » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:53 am

[quote="greybeard"
Still amazed at how many people buy nothing but those red blocks for $7-$8 each and think they're doin great...[/quote]

I've only had cattle for 10 years but thank God found out in the first year to use a good loose mineral.
I am amazed that vets do not stress that , especially if they know u are not that experienced.
We are in a selenium deficient area so even more important to get the right mineral.
I know people that only had a few head and never fed any minerals and lost a couple of cows and a couple of calves and vet never once asked about minerals.
My vet (really good vet) never told me either.
Had to find out by doing a lot of research.
It should be a basic after water and food!
0 x

ufo_chris
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ufo_chris » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:54 am

Sorry for double post ,said to review it again but i guess it posted.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”