Page 3 of 4

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:48 am
by kilroy60
ufo_chris wrote:[quote="greybeard"
Still amazed at how many people buy nothing but those red blocks for $7-$8 each and think they're doin great...


I've only had cattle for 10 years but thank God found out in the first year to use a good loose mineral.
I am amazed that vets do not stress that , especially if they know u are not that experienced.
We are in a selenium deficient area so even more important to get the right mineral.
I know people that only had a few head and never fed any minerals and lost a couple of cows and a couple of calves and vet never once asked about minerals.
My vet (really good vet) never told me either.
Had to find out by doing a lot of research.
It should be a basic after water and food![/quote]

I agree - it should be a basic but for some reason we never get this advice until a lot of times it's too late.

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:48 pm
by TexasBred
kilroy60 wrote:
ufo_chris wrote:[quote="greybeard"
Still amazed at how many people buy nothing but those red blocks for $7-$8 each and think they're doin great...


I've only had cattle for 10 years but thank God found out in the first year to use a good loose mineral.
I am amazed that vets do not stress that , especially if they know u are not that experienced.
We are in a selenium deficient area so even more important to get the right mineral.
I know people that only had a few head and never fed any minerals and lost a couple of cows and a couple of calves and vet never once asked about minerals.
My vet (really good vet) never told me either.
Had to find out by doing a lot of research.
It should be a basic after water and food!


I agree - it should be a basic but for some reason we never get this advice until a lot of times it's too late.[/quote]
Vets have very little if any exposure to nutrition studies during their school years so not a good source for this type info. AND they make their living taking care of sickly cattle. :hide:

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 pm
by Ky hills
True Grit Farms wrote:
pricefarm wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:How much is a bag of that? IMO I would give it a try.

I get our's at the Washington County (Johnson City), TN Co-Op. Not sure of your location, but they have the best mineral selection i've seen around my area. I believe i pay 17-18 dollars per bag. We have been using Purina 315N. They have quite a few choices.


Iam in Bristol Va. I have been there before but it's really out of my way to go there. I guess I could go and buy a ton at a time so it would last me a while. It was 15$ a bag


https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... 50-lb.aspx
Here's the SS mineral we use when it's not fly season.


That's the same mineral that I feed too.

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:18 am
by pdfangus
i AM CURRENTLY USING A SOUTHERN STATES HEIFER MINERAL CALLED REVITALIZE. It is not cheap but it seems to be pretty good and it has some chelates.

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:20 pm
by rockroadseminole
We buy Anipro HiPhos mineral from a local dealer. It comes from Xtraformance Feeds in NE. They ship it by the pallet to our door. I hesitate to say this, but we have not had a single sick cow since we switched to that mineral in Sept 2016. Will switch to High Mag next week for winter grazing then back to HiPhos in the spring.

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:45 am
by TexasBred
rockroadseminole wrote:We buy Anipro HiPhos mineral from a local dealer. It comes from Xtraformance Feeds in NE. They ship it by the pallet to our door. I hesitate to say this, but we have not had a single sick cow since we switched to that mineral in Sept 2016. Will switch to High Mag next week for winter grazing then back to HiPhos in the spring.

Do you really need elevated levels of phos in your minerals?? It's one of the most expensive things in the mix.

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:50 am
by pdfangus
TexasBred wrote:
rockroadseminole wrote:We buy Anipro HiPhos mineral from a local dealer. It comes from Xtraformance Feeds in NE. They ship it by the pallet to our door. I hesitate to say this, but we have not had a single sick cow since we switched to that mineral in Sept 2016. Will switch to High Mag next week for winter grazing then back to HiPhos in the spring.

Do you really need elevated levels of phos in your minerals?? It's one of the most expensive things in the mix.


I was wondering the same thing....
Around here the university and nutrient management professionals are pushing for lower phosphorous as it is one of the pollutants in the Cheaspeake Bay..Phosphates were banned in laundry detergent years ago.

soil fertility recommendations for crops are based as much on phosphorous soil test as they are on yield goals...

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:20 pm
by greybeard
Currently using this. Vitaferm. About $35/sack.


Image

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:08 pm
by Farmgirl
Graybeard,

You are close to me. Where do you buy your mineral? I have been getting it at Producers in Bryan and paying more than $35.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:36 pm
by greybeard
Local feed store that just opened last year, here on the outskirts of Cleveland. He doesn't always have it, but I get it often enough to know the cows like it. I used to go to Producers quite a bit but wasn't saving enough to make the 190 mile round trip worth it on anything except herbicide.

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:04 pm
by rockroadseminole
TexasBred wrote:
rockroadseminole wrote:We buy Anipro HiPhos mineral from a local dealer. It comes from Xtraformance Feeds in NE. They ship it by the pallet to our door. I hesitate to say this, but we have not had a single sick cow since we switched to that mineral in Sept 2016. Will switch to High Mag next week for winter grazing then back to HiPhos in the spring.

Do you really need elevated levels of phos in your minerals?? It's one of the most expensive things in the mix.


That's a good question. We acquired a new piece of property that had extremely low soil fertility. Due to that we decided to try the high phos mineral to help with that. It has seemed to work, however as soil fertility improves we might need to change to a more baseline mineral. It's got 7% P, so it's not that much higher.

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:34 pm
by sstterry
ClinchValley wrote:What will be on the ingredients list for a chelated form of minerals? Here I was thinking i had a decent mineral. Will it say "chelated" anywhere?

Clinch Valley, if you find a good source locally will you PM me? I use the Greene and Hawkins County Co-Ops.

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:44 pm
by TexasBred
greybeard wrote:Currently using this. Vitaferm. About $35/sack.


Image

The mineral itself it nothing more than the same old stuff that's been sold for ages. Oxides and sulfates with a bit of copper proteinate. The big draw is the addition of Amaferm (Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract) to it which I am a firm believer in as a finished feed additive, however, the jury is still out on it's effectiveness in increasing fertility or reducing calving intervals. (BTW there is 35 lbs. of Amaferm per ton of mineral so about $7.00 per bag for the Amaferm in each bag.

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:52 pm
by BK9954
TexasBred wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
TexasBred wrote:5S I've been using Purina All Season AV-4.......all zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt or in amino acid complex form, cattle consume at recommended rates and it's doing a good job. (And I typically hate Purina products) :lol:

Year round?

Yessir.

Yea, my vet recomended it, I do the same. Works fine.

Re: Mineral Quality

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:33 am
by ClinchValley
sstterry wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:What will be on the ingredients list for a chelated form of minerals? Here I was thinking i had a decent mineral. Will it say "chelated" anywhere?

Clinch Valley, if you find a good source locally will you PM me? I use the Greene and Hawkins County Co-Ops.


I love the tool section at the Hawkins Co-Op. But most things seemsawfully expensive compared to Hancock County. I have 6 bags left of what I have. Then the hunt will begin. Let me know if you find a good lead, too. I will do the same.