Cow down

Cattle problems.
Jamiemw20
Beginner
Beginner

Cow down

Postby Jamiemw20 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:51 pm

I have a cow that is down and she won’t stand up. She can try to stand on her hind legs but front legs are unable to stand up on. We thought she was calcium deficient or had grass tetany but have gave her 6 bottles of calcium in last 3 days as well as magnesium. Vet looked at her yesterday said it was calcium but like I said have gave her 6 bottles of calcium and she still can’t get up. Holds her head up and will drink from bucket provided. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: Cow down

Postby farmerjan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Is she fresh? or later lactation? Had a cow one time that was late lactation, nurse cow with several calves on her. She had what the vet called late lactation milk fever and it was either low phosphorus or low potassium. I can't remember which and they ran a bottle or 2 in her and she came around. It has been years. You could try researching that. The vet did say at the time that it wasn't real common, but he had seen a couple of cases in his lifetime on dairies. Also, what about the possibility of Vit E or Selenium deficiency? Known as white muscle disease in calves, but have had some older cattle that were borderline seem to get weak form it. Most of the time minerals take care of it....
One other thing, not a good one, but does she have real runny manure? Any possibility that it is Johne's? They will eat and drink even when they can barely lift their heads, until they just die.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Jamiemw20 wrote:I have a cow that is down and she won’t stand up. She can try to stand on her hind legs but front legs are unable to stand up on. We thought she was calcium deficient or had grass tetany but have gave her 6 bottles of calcium in last 3 days as well as magnesium. Vet looked at her yesterday said it was calcium but like I said have gave her 6 bottles of calcium and she still can’t get up. Holds her head up and will drink from bucket provided. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Had one down for 4-6 weeks cant remember but was nerve issues
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jamiemw20
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Jamiemw20 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:04 am

not sure what happened to her, we just put her down. Vet was no help and she couldn't get up. Thanks for all the responses though.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”