downer got up

Cattle problems.
ccr
Beginner
Beginner

downer got up

Postby ccr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:25 am

First time heifer with 2 1/2 month old calf was down yesterday and when I went to check on her she tried to get up, then unable to stand, fell back down. She was alert, ears up and poop looks ok. About 10 minutes later she was able to stand, urinated in squirts, rather than a usual stream. She didn't want to walk to the barn and was nibbling on grass. I took her about 4# of 20% cube.

A couple of hours later we got her to the barn, fed some hay and other than being thin she looks ok. Her calf looks fine, but has runny poop/scours. This morning she is up and eating hay.

After calving she has been getting about 3# of 20% cube daily, free choice mineral (which she doesn't eat much mineral), and has been on native pasture and coastal bermuda grass. Last week we had a freeze and the coastal is brown. Wasn't feeding hay wanting the grass grazed a little lower. This heifer has a small bag but appears to be ok. Will start feeding coastal bermuda hay and maybe a higher protein feed.

Not sure what is going on, but with the calf beginning to scour may be an indication of the problem.

Any suggestions on this is appreciated. Thank you.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: downer got up

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Couldn't tell if she was limpin' or not I guess..could been in heat and got rode wrong..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:24 pm

Bladder infection maybe, high fever made her woozy...I'd get her to a vet..
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:39 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Couldn't tell if she was limpin' or not I guess..could been in heat and got rode wrong..

I was thinking along similar lines, as I have seen this happen.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

ccr
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ccr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks. Not limping, and haven't put her with the bull yet. I set out a mix of water/electrolytes a couple of hours ago, but she hasn't touched it. The vet will be back open Monday morning.

She has some flaky peeling skin on her nose. Don't remember noticing it before.

0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:34 pm

ccr wrote:Thanks. Not limping, and haven't put her with the bull yet. I set out a mix of water/electrolytes a couple of hours ago, but she hasn't touched it. The vet will be back open Monday morning.

Probably the different smell, I can have one cow balk at some oral meds.in feed, when others won't pull their head up till finished
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:02 pm

ccr wrote:Thanks. Not limping, and haven't put her with the bull yet. I set out a mix of water/electrolytes a couple of hours ago, but she hasn't touched it. The vet will be back open Monday morning.

Fever?
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

ccr
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ccr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:15 pm

I'll check temp tomorrow. Should we go ahead and give her LA 300 while we got her in the chute?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:26 pm

ccr wrote:I'll check temp tomorrow. Should we go ahead and give her LA 300 while we got her in the chute?

Give her all the grass hay she will eat and go easy on that 20% feed.....listen to vets recommendations.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:01 pm

I have noticed a lot of thin cows at the sale barns the last two weeks. We have had a dry fall plus a killing frost in parts of East Texas about 2 weeks ago. Several producers mentioned cows were chasing acorns.
0 x

ccr
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ccr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:37 am

BC's comment about the acorns got me thinking. There was small patch of silver leaf nightshade in the trap where she was at, but now it is gone for the most part. Didn't think much about it earlier because I figured the cattle would eat the bermuda and not the nightshade, but as the grass dried up maybe she eat enough of the nightshade to get her down. She is now eating fine, getting up ok, and the calf's runny poop/scours have gone. Everything appears to be back to normal.

Below is a picture of silver leaf nightshade across the fence from where she was at.

Thank you for the comments.
0 x

Nite Hawk
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Nite Hawk » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:26 pm

I remember some neighbors talking one time, they had a heifer or young cow, bull or another cow jumped her and she fell on some ice and broke her back. Not common but it does happen.
This sounds like something different though, Maybe it is that night shade....
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”