Inforce 3 vaccine for newborn calves

Cattle problems.
Jamiemw20
Beginner
Beginner

Inforce 3 vaccine for newborn calves

Postby Jamiemw20 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:03 am

Anyone used Inforce 3 intranasal vaccine for newborn calves and noticed any difference in calves as far as getting sick less. I have ordered some to try because we have lost 4 calves due to scours, respiratory issues in newborns lately.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Re: Inforce 3 vaccine for newborn calves

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:39 pm

We use Inforce3 AND First Defence at birth, and have not had a case of scours since we started (Jan). First Defence is great stuff, and we no longer need to vaccinate the cows 30 days prior to calving with Calf Guard (or was it scour guard???), so it eliminated the need to run the cow through the chute another time.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Delete
Last edited by kenny thomas on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:52 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Bright Raven on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Jamiemw20 wrote:Anyone used Inforce 3 intranasal vaccine for newborn calves and noticed any difference in calves as far as getting sick less. I have ordered some to try because we have lost 4 calves due to scours, respiratory issues in newborns lately.

I could say no.  I could say yes.  Probably the best response is you never know what would have been if you had not used it.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:50 pm

We use inforce 3 in newborns, my vet loves it to death and has us giving it on arrival to anything we buy under 500 lbs.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:00 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Jamiemw20 wrote:Anyone used Inforce 3 intranasal vaccine for newborn calves and noticed any difference in calves as far as getting sick less. I have ordered some to try because we have lost 4 calves due to scours, respiratory issues in newborns lately.

I could say no.  I could say yes.  Probably the best response is you never know what would have been if you had not used it.

X2

This vaccine is like the rest of them I use. Who knows.... Never had much of a problem before, haven't had much of a problem since. Have had some problems before, have also had some problems since. But I don't feel guilty for not doing everything I could. What's that worth?
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:If I'm reading the label correctly it says the First Defense and the Inforce 3 should not be given together. Label says it will neutralize the vaccine.

The manufacturer's information on both these vaccines does not state any neutralization of either vaccine when Inforce 3 and First Defense are used at the same time.  If you can produce that information, I would be grateful.

What I have read is the following when using First Defense:

Do not use with modified-live oral coronavirus or rotavirus vaccines at birth, as the antibodies in First Defense may neutralize the vaccine. Each package contains 5 single dose capsules.
Looked again and you are correct. Sorry, I retract my post.

Inforce 3 is an intranasal vaccine  for Bovine Rhinotracheitis, Parainfluenza3, and Respiratory Syncytial Virus Vaccine.  Although they are in a MLV preparation it has nothing in common with coronavirus or rotavirus.

I would appreciate in deepest appreciation if you have found information I am unaware of because I use Inforce 3 and First Defense at the same time in newborn calves.

You are correct, I just deleted my post. Please delete your post and there will be no misinformation.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:35 pm

Son of Butch wrote:We use inforce 3 in newborns, my vet loves it to death and has us giving it on arrival to anything we buy under 500 lbs.

What happens with over 500 lbs. ?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:40 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:We use inforce 3 in newborns, my vet loves it to death and has us giving it on arrival to anything we buy under 500 lbs.

Inforce 3 is an intranasal vaccine for Bovine Rhinotracheitis, Parainfluenza3, and Respiratory Syncytial Virus.  It can be given to any age or weight animal.  However, most Cattleman use an FP 5 vaccine on breeding age animals.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:12 am

Stocker Steve wrote:

Animals over 500 lbs with unknown history get Vira Shield 6 a killed vaccine on arrival, even though vet says given 'em all inforce 3 for rapid response. It's the flyweights that give us more respiratory trouble.

I don't like stressing lightweight arrivals and wait 8 days or more and then give them modified live shots.
Vet says not to worry about any intranasal vaccines causing stress.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:01 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:We use Inforce3 AND First Defence at birth, and have not had a case of scours since we started (Jan). First Defence is great stuff, and we no longer need to vaccinate the cows 30 days prior to calving with Calf Guard (or was it scour guard???), so it eliminated the need to run the cow through the chute another time.

Scour Bos? Every calf here gets a First Defense bolus and I've been considering Inforce3 as well.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”