Excenel

Cattle problems.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Excenel

Postby callmefence » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:54 am

Anyone familiar with this for summer pneumonia in unweaned calves.

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dairy ... tu-ez.aspx
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Excenel

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:00 am

First I have read on it. Its an antiinfective and does target respiratory disease:

Bovine respiratory disease (BRD, pneumonia, shipping fever) due to Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida and Haemophilus somnus.

Why do you ask? Are you seeing respiratory problems? My vet says this is the worse year in his 20 years of practice.

Andy: BRD is a broad category. It is not a single organism infectious disease. It is a complex of respiratory diseases.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:57 am

Bright Raven wrote:First I have read on it. Its an antiinfective and does target respiratory disease:

Bovine respiratory disease (BRD, pneumonia, shipping fever) due to Mannheimia (Pasteurella) haemolytica, Pasteurella multocida and Haemophilus somnus.

Why do you ask? Are you seeing respiratory problems? My vet says this is the worse year in his 20 years of practice.

Andy: BRD is a broad category. It is not a single organism infectious disease. It is a complex of respiratory diseases.

Yes we've seen the worst run of summer pneumonia we ever seen. I've got about a dozen calves sick, recovered or on my radar with early symptoms and more sorry weather coming.
It went from near freezing last week to near 90 in about 36 hours. We've been treating with what we've had on hand and drenching. And we are seeing good response. I found a 400 pound heifer on her side in the tank yesterday. Couldn't stand. I gave a large dose of duo pen and dexamethasone. Tubed 2 quarts of dextrose.
She's up eating hay today.
Thing is I'm seeing some relapse, so I called the vet this morning and hes got a bottle of excel and banamine waiting at the barn for me.

Also noted most of the calves are vaccinated a few that just came in are not. The unvaccinated calves are getting noticeably sicker.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:10 pm

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:First I have read on it. Its an antiinfective and does target respiratory disease:

Yes we've seen the worst run of summer pneumonia we ever seen. I've got about a dozen calves sick, recovered or on my radar with early symptoms and more sorry weather coming.
It went from near freezing last week to near 90 in about 36 hours. We've been treating with what we've had on hand and drenching. And we are seeing good response. I found a 400 pound heifer on her side in the tank yesterday. Couldn't stand. I gave a large dose of duo pen and dexamethasone. Tubed 2 quarts of dextrose.
She's up eating hay today.
Thing is I'm seeing some relapse, so I called the vet this morning and hes got a bottle of excel and banamine waiting at the barn for me.

Also noted most of the calves are vaccinated a few that just came in are not. The unvaccinated calves are getting noticeably sicker.

This is anecdotal but I used the Inforce 3 to provide respiratory protection and so far (knock on wood), I have only had some mild cases of snotty nose and just slight rattle in nasal cavity. That is in the face of some really crappy weather. Be interesting to see if Inforce 3 would work for you.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:13 pm

It'll vary from region to region, but review of BRD cases submitted to the diagnostic lab here, most from from western KY & middle/west TN over the past couple of years indicates that 100% of Mannheimia, Pasteurella, and Histophilus isolates here were susceptible to ceftiofur(Naxcel, Excenel, Excede)... where as 86% of those same isolates were resistant to one or more of the following antimicrobials: Micotil, Draxxin, Baytril; some were resistant to all three.
1 x

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Postby Texas PaPaw » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Excede is same active ingredient antibiotic but but longer acting. With Excede 1 shot lasts a week. Have used it a lot for mass treating incoming peewee stocker calves. Works well for that. Normally treat calves with respiratory infections with Zactran and if calf really sick give both Zactran and 2cc/100 of baytril. Call it the curem’ or killem’ treatment. A couple weeks ago had 2 sick calves that treated this way and were feeling fine the next day. I always keep bottles of Zactran baytril and banamine on hand because getting them treated quickly is critical.
1 x
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Lucky_P wrote:It'll vary from region to region, but review of BRD cases submitted to the diagnostic lab here, most from from western KY & middle/west TN over the past couple of years indicates that 100% of Mannheimia, Pasteurella, and Histophilus isolates here were susceptible to ceftiofur(Naxcel, Excenel, Excede)... where as 86% of those same isolates were resistant to one or more of the following antimicrobials: Micotil, Draxxin, Baytril; some were resistant to all three.

Lucky,

The Zoetis vet told me they are finding strains of Coronavirus that are causing moderate respiratory infections.

The initial onset is viral then the indigenous bacteria that most cattle harbor like Mannheimia then cause a secondary infection.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Yep. I've seen reports of bovine respiratory coronavirus infection... have been testing for it for the last year or so on all the BRD cases... haven't found it here yet.
2 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:48 pm

I really like excede/excenel to combat SRD in pigs, probably go through 5 cases a year. If you know your problem is bacterial in origin, I would use instead of baytril or draxxin, expect on serve cases.
1 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Naxcel, Excenel are popular choices on dairies, no milk discard with short slaughter hold and works well on Foot Rot.
Last edited by Son of Butch on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Naxcel, Excenel are popular choices on dairies, no milk discard and short slaughter withdrawal and works on Foot Rot.

Yup, we used to use Exede, same stuff basicly
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:13 pm

One of my twin heifers (split embryo) had respiratory - down bad. We had been gone for couple days. Treated with Draxxin & Banamine. Lost her, even after vet IV'd her.
Thanks for that info Lucky P
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Health & Nutrition”