Emaciated cow eats hay but eats one cube and stops

Cattle problems.
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Emaciated cow eats hay but eats one cube and stops

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:27 pm

If it occurred after calving I would be considering a displaced abomasum, if you take her to the vet again ask him about the possibility of that.

Ken
0 x

mjnetex
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mjnetex » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 pm

No drooling. Checked her mouth last night and didn't see anything abnormal. BUT I am going to give her one last shot and take her to the vet Mon. AM for a proper mouth/teeth exam. Gave her 10 cc of Banamine last night. This morning I noticed one difference......when she ate her one cube I heard her "crunch" like a normal cow.......did not realize this difference before but I was about 40 feet away this morning and noticed her crunching, surprised me. Proper mouth exam coming up Monday!
1 x

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:11 pm

Is she still producing milk?
0 x

mjnetex
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mjnetex » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 am

Good news! But first, she never did produce much milk, her calf was about to starve when we "rescued" them, as she was skin and bones. And has been for the last five months. Calf is doing great and outgrowing her pot-bellied look.
I did not take to vet Monday, something told me it would do no good.
Wed. AM she was acting perky and ATE several pounds of cubes! Within a minute I found a loose bolus of some kind of small rope--quite frayed after being in her stomach for five months--tied to the remnant of a black stretchy plastic garbage bag. Their hay is clean but the family that owns the property used to use several gullies as a trash dump--I feel sure she got it there, I will check it out for further dangers as soon as I can. These cattle were well-fed (we take care of them)--I guess she just likes to browse in trash dumps.
Since Wed. she eats three or four lbs. of cubes twice a day. I guess that fills her up.

Thanks for all the good advice.
0 x

mjnetex
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mjnetex » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:55 am

This is the cow when we brought her home in July, and her today...and the trash she spit up on Wed.

1 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Glad she’s eating good now, I hope she picks up weight. And fast.
As bad as she looks, I have to assume that trash wasn’t just sitting in there. I would be worried that’s not all of it.
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:57 pm

Wow, amazing that she got it out is now eating. If you get her back to a decent weight, she needs to go. You don't need to deal with a trash eating cow.
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:47 am

That animal arrived at your place with issues, don't want to sound negative but doubt that her problems are over. Anti inflammatory drugs can do wonders...for a while only. Honestly, I would not have been able to watch that cow every day, getting thinner and thinner, suffering...

Wish you luck and hope you make the right decision.
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Highpoint » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Thank you as I have picked those up multiple times and will give the guy leaving in pasture a heads up
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”