Fenceline Weaning Pic's

Cattle problems.
Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Re: Fenceline Weaning Pic's

Postby Black and Good » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:03 am

Frank, couple questions for my own curiosity what breed/breeds our in your cows? Also, what breed/breeds of bulls are these calves sired by? Pasture fescue? Thanks B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

frank boucher
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby frank boucher » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:55 am

The cows are basically balancers,all of them raised here and 50% angus-50% gelbvieh..Bull is a homozygus black balancer,came from Judd's in Kansas.I like most everything about them,except too much hair on them.Fescue pasture,not much clover,little lespedeza some years,johnson grass in summer.Endophyte in it,cows in pond and shade when gets warm,can't seem to help that much,just try to get them bred back before hot weather.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks for the response Frank. That was going to be my guess on breeds in yoour herd. They look a lot like mine in this picture. These are all reg. Balancers with a few PB's in there. Your cattle are doing good on the grass you have. You should be proud. B&G

0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

frank boucher
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby frank boucher » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Very good cattle there B&G,and yours look slicker haired than mine.Guess a guy should'nt complain about a little hair,but some of mine got so much around their ears you can't even read the tag #.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 pm

frank boucher wrote:Very good cattle there B&G,and yours look slicker haired than mine.Guess a guy should'nt complain about a little hair,but some of mine got so much around their ears you can't even read the tag #.
what bloodline was used on the Angus half ?
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

frank boucher
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby frank boucher » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Mitty In Focus
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:24 pm

I'm a Mytty In Focus fan. I have a coulpe reg. Angus cows that are outta him. His females are good. B&G
0 x

frank boucher
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby frank boucher » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:59 pm

They're pretty fertile,vet called them all bred when we pregged them 3 weeks ago.Some may develop foot problems later,that long crooked toe or screwtoe,so far ,so good.
0 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:27 pm

We fence line weaned for the last two years. Both last year and this year I wound up kicking the cows out away from the calves because they seemed to be bawling more than the calves were, which in turn got the calves going. Once I kicked them out where they weren't close to each other it seemed that the calves went to eating better and the cows kind of just forgot about them. I don't know what to think about it. My whole reasoning behind it was to try to keep the calves a little more calm, but it just seemed that they were more worried about the cows causing a ruckus on the other side of the fence. I'm not sure I'm sold on it.
0 x

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Lazy M » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:37 pm

Great looking cattle!
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”