Postby NonTypicalCPA » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:47 am

Let's see an updated photo of her!
1 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: 3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:24 am

The experienced farmer is gonna help me tag her soon so that’s good! I was able to get a tag from Orscheln and customize it with my name and phone number and address Incase she wanders off or off the farm lol.

I’ll try to post a picture for those asking. It’s hard to get this website to cooperate with me sometimes lol
1 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:46 am

Mira was finally moved with the heard but I’m worried she was introduced too late...

She’s being picked on. Not extremely but she is getting shoved around. She was used to having her own watering hole and I happened to look down and see her go for the water troth, only to get slammed aside - hard - by a bigger cow. Plus her eye sight - while not gone - is still mediocre so... I don’t know.

I was told it would take her time to get adjusted with the flow of things so I’m trying not to be a human cow mom and heard her back up to the cow lot with me but my bleeding heart about broke seeing them shove her around...

I guess all I can do is keep watching to see?
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:49 am

she will adapt to the herd rules. The other cows are just letting her know who the boss is. anytime new animals are introduced this happens . it will usually subside in a few days unless the new animal has its sights set on being the herd boss then they will continually push others till they establish their role .
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:57 am

I agree with M-5. Give it some time. I know it is hard, but if you ever want her to become "mainstream", this is her chance.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:23 pm

The others are right, she should be fine.

And not to be nit-picking, but a group of cattle is a herd, not a heard. (If it was me I'd want to know. If you feel differently I apologize.)
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Rafter - I see that in most posts - does kinda drive me nuts.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:00 pm

Congratulations on getting Mira to "big girl" status. Yes, she will get picked on some, but hopefully she will find a spot in the pecking order. It might take her a little time, but as long as they are not really hurting her, she will find her way. Give her some time to realize she is a "cow" and hopefully she will find another young animal to pair up with. It is hard, but she does belong with the herd and will be happier with the company once she gets established in the herd.
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”