3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Cattle problems.
Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: 3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Postby Txpiney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Liz, you are saying your feeding her 2 pints twice a day and Jeanne is saying 2 QUARTS a day. Do you mean QUARTS or pints. 2 pints 3 times a day is only 3 quarts.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:53 pm

NO We are talking 2 QUARTS twice a day - not PINTS. If you are only feeding her 2 pints at a feeding, that is not quite enough.
2 quarts is 4 pints. So, she should get 8 pints a day. While she is weak, 3 times a day is awesome for her. Great that you can do that, but as she gets stronger, you will be able to feed her the 2 quarts twice a day.
Edit: sorry I posted this before reading the other post that explained she needs 4 quarts daily.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Txpiney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 pm

No problem Jeanne. You are way more knowledgeable than I am, I was just trying to get Liz to clarify if she is feeding QUARTS or pints.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:26 pm

LizHartley1991 wrote:
Rafter S wrote:
LizHartley1991 wrote:See I don’t know if she is blind. Her eyes are clearing up and she seems to do better outside. She just walks wilf sometimes. Like she’s drunk or can’t keep herself straight. She is walking better. But she still has that stumble and fall thing going.

But u try to cut her food intake down to 2. I just don’t want her to get hungry because I know she hasn’t been able to intake food this well since we got her so she’s an eager baby

I could do that without a second thought, because it's what's best for her instead of what she wants. If you feel like you just have to feed her more than twice a day that's fine, but make sure the total amount isn't more than what's recommended. Feeding her more will be harming her for the sake of making yourself feel better. I don't want you to feel like I'm beating up on you, but you seem to want to keep coming back to feeding her more than what's recommended.

Oh I do t feel like you’re beating up on me at all! I’m grateful you seem to be trying to warn me. I don’t wanna make her sick! I just wanna make sure I’m feeding her right and enough.

So you think 2 Pints 3 Times a day is enough then? Cause even after giving her two she seems to want more. Is that normal?

Most of the powdered milk I've fed recommended 2 quarts per feeding, and feed twice a day. That's a total of 4 quarts per day. Feed her as many times as you want as long as the daily total doesn't exceed that (and be sure to check your bag to make sure I got the numbers right).

Feeding smaller amounts more often might even be better. Every bottle calf I ever raised got pot-bellied. Maybe smaller feedings would help with that. And buy a small bag of the milk replacer pellets before too long. She won't eat much of it now, but you can start putting a little of it in your hand, get her started sucking on your fingers, and then let some of the pellets dribble into her mouth to get her used to the taste. And don't give her more of that feed than is recommended either. It's pretty hot as I recall.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:30 pm

Rafter S made a good suggestion about the pelleted feed. What he meant by "pretty hot", is that it probably is high in protein & nutrition - which you do NOT want to over-feed any of that either.
You are doing great. Keep it up.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:05 pm

Update on feeding!

You all are asking what I’m feeding/how much.

I am doing TWO pints THREE times a day. My bottle is a 4 Pints bottle.

You all are saying I need to feed her FOUR pints a day. FOUR Pints is 2 Quarts. Is that right? If so then I’m definitely not feeding her enough.

So it should be 4 Pints 3x a Day to be 2 Quarts 3x a day. Cause if that’s the case then I’m not feeding her enough...
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:17 pm

2 quarts twice a day. Since she is small I would break that into 3 feedings a day. But still only 4 quarts total
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Today Mira has had 9 1/2 Pints.

9_1/2 Pints = 4_3/4th Quarts.

If you’re saying that she needs 4 Quarts all together. Then to break that down in Pints would be:

2 Pints x 4 Times a day = 4 Quarts

Meaning I need to let her at least get 4 Quarts all together. So that means she needs 8 Pints all together. For every two pints equals one Quart.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:17 pm

LizHartley1991 wrote:Today Mira has had 9 1/2 Pints.

9_1/2 Pints = 4_3/4th Quarts.

If you’re saying that she needs 4 Quarts all together. Then to break that down in Pints would be:

2 Pints x 4 Times a day = 4 Quarts

Meaning I need to let her at least get 4 Quarts
all together. So that means she needs 8 Pints all together. For every two pints equals one Quart.

No. Not "at least 4 quarts". We're saying NO MORE than 4 quarts.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:16 pm

Yes, every two pints equals one quart. Your baby bottle is generally referred to as 2 quarts - instead of thinking of it as 4 pints. But, yes, she needs two bottles a day. So, you can feed her 2/3 a bottle 3 times a day. Be sure to mix the powder & water at the right ratio. Have you been warming her formula (or using warm water)?
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 pm

Okau’ The back of the feed bag says “3-4 Ounces per head per head per day” but that’s it. It’s called LANO premix. We used this same formula in the past eight years ago (not the same bag but same stuff) and back then I would give Hope the Calf three 4 liter bottles a day until she was older. She did have a pot belly but she was healthy and grew fine.

I’m sorry if I’m being frustrating. I never was good at converting stuff from one thing to another so I get flustered and confused.

So what I’m getting all together is that I shouldn’t go over 4 quarts a day when feeding Mira. For me that means 8 Liters (I’m gonna read my thong as Liters cause that’s how I’ve akways read it).
0 x

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 pm

No more than 4 liters per day if you are going that route. The amount of milk formula seems awful small. Can you post a picture of the tag on the bag?
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:51 pm

I have never heard of LANO PREMIX. The "3-4 ounces per head per day" tells me this might be something that gets mixed INTO their milk replacer.. Are you in the states or maybe Canada? You say that you are reading it as liters.

According to my conversion charts:
As conversions go, 1 liter is pretty close to 1 quart. Say in soda (pop) a 2 liter bottle is about the size of a 2 qt or a half gallon. A liter is just a little more than a quart. Yes there is a little difference but for this it is close enough. An ounce or two isn't going to make or break it.

An American pint is 16 ounces, quart is 32 ounces and 2 qts or a half gallon is 64 ounces.

So you should be feeding 2 liters a feeding. 2 feedings a day. Or break it up into smaller amounts per feeding. Many dairy farmers will feed UP TO 6 quarts a feeding for BIG calves. 2 feedings a day.

So yes, Mira should be getting 4 quarts or _4_ liters a day TOTAL. Break it up into however many feedings you want. 3 or 4 feedings is fine but the way you are converting it you are making a liter equal to a pint and it is more equal to a quart. A calf nipple bottle in the US is normally 2 quarts. That is nearly the same as 2 liters. 2 bottles per day. I feed 2 quarts ( which is 1/2 gallon) 2 times a day to my "bottle calves". They are drinking directly out of a bucket...their choice, they were into the bucket before I could pour it into the bottles so I just said go to it.

Milk replacer here is sold in usually 25 or 50 lb bags and has a "cup" inside. You use one "cup"; which actually holds about 10 oz of dry milk replacer; per 2 quart bottle of warm water. So one measuring cup provided in the bag, per 2 quarts or 1/2 gallon of warm water. I mix 2 gallons at a time for my 4 calves; and that is 4 cups per 2 gallons of warm water.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 am

Here’s pictures of the formula bag. Again I used this stuff eight years ago for my other calf and it worked.

Also I live in America, but my bottles say Liter on them. I got them from Orscheln in town and all of them are liter marked. That’s why this Quartz thing is confusing because I’ve been feeding with Liters the whole time.
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 am

that's mineral, not milk replacer.
1 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”