3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Cattle problems.
LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: 3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:51 am

Mira’s eyesight is better this morning. I’ve been testing it out every morning and evening. She’s feeding so well and today she actually moo’d at me. She hardly ever makes any moo sounds or any sounds besides the clopping of her feet. So this was pleasant. And cute. Though painful when she keeps looking for my utter I don’t possess!

It’s snowing this morning. Coyotes everywhere too (whiny turds can be heard running around). Tightened the lock on the door.

Should I feed Mira an extra pint since it’s colder than normal? I thought someone said it’s a good idea to feed them an extra pint when it’s cold out to help their body temperature...? Don’t wanna overfeed her but want her to be comfy too.

I feel like getting Mira off the bottle in the future is gonna be rough since she shows no interest in anything but the bottle. She’ll be a month old in three days so it’s not to concerning. But I can tell it’s gonna be rough.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:46 am

close the barn door and give her a pile of straw to lay in she'll be fine.

Need to keep soft hay and calf starter in front of her and not an extra bottle. If she's hungry she'll figure out the calf starter and hay. She needs to start eating something else and having her a bit hungry isn't going to hurt and will help motivating her maturing into an adult bovine.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:56 pm

angus9259 wrote:close the barn door and give her a pile of straw to lay in she'll be fine.

Need to keep soft hay and calf starter in front of her and not an extra bottle. If she's hungry she'll figure out the calf starter and hay. She needs to start eating something else and having her a bit hungry isn't going to hurt and will help motivating her maturing into an adult bovine.

I can do the barn door tight. I shut it up this morning and gave her extra hay to lay in.

So basically be a little stubborn with her haha. I’ll need to go get calf starter but I got plenty of fresh and soft hay for her to enjoy and water to drink. The starter I’ll look into. Glad you reminded me of that!
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:42 pm

Don't be worried about her not wanting anything except the bottle. She is just getting on her feet, like a newborn.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:50 am

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Mira had a good feed this morning and it was her last of the six Thiamine shots. I’ll be watching her to see how she is the next few days to see how she’s holding up.

Plus side of things is that she’s mooing more / has more reaction to things, she now flicks her little tail (which she didn’t do before) around when I sit and speak with her, and she feels stronger as she pushes on me or kicks her hooves from a shot. So those are positive sides!

Feeding is still going well and she still keeps warping my bottle when I feed her. So far so good.

Fingers still crossed though.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Merry Christmas to you also. Since she had such a rough start, I am with Jeanne and it is more like she is a newborn now than a month old. I wouldn't get in too big a rush to get her eating other stuff until she is actually looking for more. Which she will be as the milk won't keep her satisfied as she continues to grow. Keep it in front of her and as she becomes more active, she will go looking for things to do and eating will follow.
2 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Need to start a new thread but call it Mira!
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:41 pm

dun wrote:Need to start a new thread but call it Mira!

At this point I really should haha! I wish I could just rename this topic! It’s got the whole story and background for everyone!
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:10 am

Mira is a month old today. Tomorrow it’ll be a month I’ve had her. But she was born the 27th of Nov so today is her 1 month birthday. Holy crap she’s made it a month!

Feedings are going well. She’s getting better on her feet (or hoofs) and only walks into stuff if she’s super hungry or it’s too dark to see. She walks like a newborn deer kinda. Also she just flicks her tail as she walks and I talk to her. It’s cute.

Fingers still crossed though!
1 x

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Your last post and the photo of her on page two, made me wonder if she might be afflicted with "fawn calf syndrome". It is a heritable condition of some Angus and Angus cross calves. If they survive and are able to eat they will continue to improve as they age. By the time they are an adult you may not see any symptoms anymore. It is a recessive trait and American Angus is working on removing it from the breed. They do not allow the registration of carriers or potential carriers. A genetic test can reveal whether an animal is afflicted or a carrier. I have attached a link to a video that shows an affected calf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUt5fQ_3L20
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Katpau wrote:Your last post and the photo of her on page two, made me wonder if she might be afflicted with "fawn calf syndrome". It is a heritable condition of some Angus and Angus cross calves. If they survive and are able to eat they will continue to improve as they age. By the time they are an adult you may not see any symptoms anymore. It is a recessive trait and American Angus is working on removing it from the breed. They do not allow the registration of carriers or potential carriers. A genetic test can reveal whether an animal is afflicted or a carrier. I have attached a link to a video that shows an affected calf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUt5fQ_3L20

That is the most fascinating thing I’ve sver seen! Whoa... The front of the legs look similar to how Mira’s legs look and she is a bit hunched like that, but she doesn’t move like that. Her legs move more stiff like sometimes. Like she’s trying to figure out how to move her legs or they need to be stretched... She’s doing better now. It’s so cold outside that I haven’t been able to let her roam as much. She doesn’t like to roam when it’s cold. She just lays down... Maybe I’ll try getting a video of how she moves for you all to see.

This is fascinating though. I’ve never seen a calf like that. It’s adorable but goodness it does move deer like... The front of the legs and the slight hunch are similar to Mira though.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:22 pm

She has responded tremendously to the treatment for Polio. "Appears" to be Polio, but I am not familiar with it at all.
1 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:30 am

I’ve been kind of worried about Mira not getting enough outside time... She spends 95% of her time in the barn and that can’t psychologically be good for her... I wanna let her roam outside but the temperature keeps dropping to the negatives and I’ve been sick so I’m not much use outside with her and don’t wanna just leave her out of the barn cause it’s freaking cold and she doesn’t have anyone else to roam or snuggle with...

Any advice? I Don’t want her to think the barn is her only place. I know she’s a cow and has fur and is warmer than I think but she literally will just lay down if I take her outside. Plus it’s still snow covered outside so I don’t think laying in the snow is gonna help her get better... I’m used to worrying about keeping a calf from overheating in the summer, not the winter...
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:46 am

The snow won't bother her. It is warmer to lay down on snow than to lay down on frozen ground.
But, staying inside will not bother her. Many calves are raised totally inside, never see outdoors. They acclimate when the time comes to go outdoors.
Now that she is not getting her shots of Thiamin (sp?), has she slipped back at all?
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:36 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:The snow won't bother her. It is warmer to lay down on snow than to lay down on frozen ground.
But, staying inside will not bother her. Many calves are raised totally inside, never see outdoors. They acclimate when the time comes to go outdoors.
Now that she is not getting her shots of Thiamin (sp?), has she slipped back at all?

Well the grounds not frozen, just snowy. So maybe I’ll try walking outside with her later today.

And I haven’t updated you all on that have I? I stopped giving Mira Thiamine (you spelled it right!) on Christmas morning (that was her last shot). I’ve been watching her these last four days and it seems it really was a matter of needing the vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and getting a better quality formula going in her. Once I started using the MannaPro Suckle Pro formula with the shots, it was like she got a steroid kick or something. She’s more alert. She moo’s more, walks a lot better (though still just a little stiff like, but not as bad as it was), and is very alert to my presence and when the time is. She’s also a lot stronger and can almost completely knock me over when she gets excited. And I know she’s happy to see me cause her little tail goes crazy like a puppy.

All in all - fingers still crossed of course - she’s shown great improvement these last four-five days and I’m very impressed by the vets quick analysis on her... I’ll definitely be sending them a thank you card in the future for that.
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”