3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Cattle problems.
LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: 3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:35 am

Sometimes I forget how smart cows can be. That they can learn just like a dog or cat can.

When I go to feed Mira in the morning or Evening, I always take this LED light with me as a backup light to give myself something besides my phone to use to see on my walk down to the barn. And before my dad put the extra light in, this was the only extra light (along with my phone light) that I had to see Mira (she’s a black furred cow so yeah she could be hard to see in the dark sometimes).

Well now that I have the extra light, before I go into the stall, I have to plug it into the extra outlet we have so I can see. Mira has come to recognize that when that light goes on, it’s food time. She’s also learned to be alert to when the gate is opening and she hears footsteps outside the barn. My farmhand says - during the middle of the day while I’m at work - she’ll give a loud moo when he opens the gate and go to the door to see if it’s me. If he’s the one that opens the door, she’ll sniff at him then scurry away from him. If it’s me, she’s waiting at the door and starts circling around me as I sit the LED light down so I can feed her the bottle. It’s pretty interesting and funny to me.

I do have a question for anyone that’s still keeping up with this long thread... Is 4 quarts what I continue to give Mira until she’s natured? Or do I ever increase it? Obviously not by a lot cause too much can cause scours... But I just wondered if I ever give her an extra quart or do I stay at 4? It says 2 quarts twice a day on the bag so I’m following it’s instructi and I know you all said 4 quarts... Just wondering if I should increase it.

Also speaking of the circling thing, is that normal? The fact she circles me like a puppy? I think you all said that was normal but I wanted to make sure... And she doesn’t really headbutt like most cows when she’s hungry. She leans and rubs on me or she just keeps flicking her tongue around like she’s searching the air for something... Never seen a calf do that until her.

Funny fact: She licks my butt or arm when she’s looking for more food and it’s so weird!
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:06 am

The feed you introduce will add what she needs so stick with the 4 quarts. I think I remember you saying you were giving some kind of feed. Make sure she's eating that. And have fresh water available for her to drink as she wants it
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:15 pm

Yes, they will circle you because they are excited. You are her MOM. She's flicking her tongue because she wants to suck, would be my guess.
I'm not a bottle raiser, but I would guess what Craig said is correct. You want to add GRAIN mixture to satisfy her appetite.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:36 pm

Yes, you need to get that rumen working. It takes many weeks (5 at least I think) of eating solid food to get it up to speed. That milk goes right past the rumen and into the abomasum.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:31 pm

What the others said. Don't increase the milk past the recommended amount. She'll get the additional nutrition she needs from feed, and hay or grass.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:09 am

I’m thinking Mira’s eyesight is still kind of shot... I try to test her by doing the hand wave/stick wave in face thing as often as I can.

She didn’t really react to it this morning. I mean she did in one eye better than the other but I could tell it wasn’t as strong... Shes not stumbling around but she is walking a little less sure this morning... Hmm. That’s usually my first worry sign for her so I’m gonna see how she is this afternoon/evening when I change out her hay. Could be me worrying to much but we all know she’s fallen back before. Just wanna be sure.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:19 am

Give the vet a call & see if it would be in any way harmful to put her back on the Thiamine.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:54 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Give the vet a call & see if it would be in any way harmful to put her back on the Thiamine.

That was my first thought as soon as I got done in the barn. I’ll be calling him as soon as they open to see what he says. Read my mind ;)
0 x

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:21 pm

Are you sure there is nothing in the barn she could be getting into? Lead paint for example? They will mouth and suck on everything at that age. Whenever I have had to hold a calf in a building without safe pens, I would make a pen out of hay bales, so the only thing they could chew on would be hay. I am usually able to get an extra like a twin onto another cow before too long. If I can't, I will move them outside into a pen once they are as old as yours and make a wind break out of bales. I have a hay shed with only a roof, although the sides are open. If I did not have a roof, I would probably put a piece of plywood over hay bales to make a three sided covered wind break.

It is not too late to get her on another cow, if you have one lose a calf. I have convinced a cow who lost her month old calf to take one of the spares. It took about 10 days of penning her for forced feedings, but it worked. Last year the last cow to calve had one coming with both feet back. We noticed too late, and by the time we caught her and pulled it, the calf had died. We had a 6 week old twin we were bottle feeding, so we took the dead calf away before she could see it and rubbed the afterbirth all over that 6 week calf. The cow took it instantly, but the calf was a little afraid. We got the cow in the head gate and helped the calf suck. I had been feeding the calf with a bucket before that and was a little worried she would not quickly pick up on sucking a nipple again. By morning those two were paired up and that calf did great. We had been having some issues with her scouring and going off the bottle before that, but the cow cleared up all problems and she ended up catching up to her twin in weaning weight. That would never have happened otherwise.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:22 pm

Found out how to log onto my old YouTube account. Here’s a video for anyone curious to see how little Mira moves.

I think she’s gonna be okay.

https://youtu.be/qLnUKlDkum0
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:29 pm

Looks good to me and I hope there are no setbacks. You've done a fine job.
2 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:03 am

Getting in the negatives here in the Midwest. Having a hard time keeping fresh water in the barn for Mira since it just freezes over by morning. I try changing it out as much as possible of course but dang is it getting harder to.

It’s also freezing in the barn. We’re out of the wind and she’s got plenty of fresh hay down for herself but it’s been cold enough I’ve been getting frozen bloody noses while outside feeding her (pleasant image I know!)

Nothing to report on Mira besides she’s been doing this thing now where she drinks her formula with her head tilted. Which wouldn’t be so weird except she tilts her head so hard she looses her grip on the bottle then circles me in a panic for it and then latches on it easy enough. It’s not bad I don’t think. Just odd. My dad says it sounds like she gets so excited that she looses her grip on the bottle... Maybe? Hmm. Not worried about it just kind of confused.

Otherwise nothing to report worry wise. She’s eating well, she’s not stumbling, she’s doing okay in the sight department now (think she was just struggling because I had a flashlight in her face), and she’s pretty playful lately (as you can kinda tell in the video I posted). Good vibes right now.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:31 am

Yes, she is just excited. You have done a good job.
There are bucket warmers to keep the water thawed, or even heated buckets I believe.
1 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:37 am

I just wanna post how grateful I am to you all for your help over the course of caring for Mira. You all have helped so much and a big part of why Mira is still alive. My hope is that 2018 goes well for all of you!
1 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Interesting development today.

I took Mira out of the barn to get some walk around exercise. I’m concerned with the way her legs look and I feel like she needs more exercise to help strengthen those legs of hers.

So today I’m walking her around when I notice we have an audience of young calves and big cows all watching. I decided then that I wanted to see how Mira reacted to them and how they reacted to her.

It took some coaxing but eventually I got the biggested heifer to come closer. She stuck her head through the gate almost, trying to sniff at Mira. And I eventually got Mira close enough to sniff and lick at her.

It was so funny because then five other cows swarmed up beside the heifer and were sniffing and nudging to her. Then the most interesting thing happened.

The heifer tried to get Mira to follow her. Of course there’s a gate between them and Mira wasn’t interested enough to try to follow even if I got the gate open; she cane right back to me and hid behind me while looking for more food. But it was still pretty awesome to watch.

Then poor Mira tried to keep up with me and fell forward on her front legs. That’s why I’m worried about the leg development. They’re turned into each other (the middle image) and that doesn’t seem right to me.

0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”