3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Cattle problems.
LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: 3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Well things are okay. I’m trying to wean Mira but I’m getting the feeling she’s not eating and drinking enough now that I’ve started cutting down her food intake (she still gets fed, I’m just cutting down how much formula I’m mixing with the water). She’s three months now. By March 27th she’ll be four months... Should I wait another month before I start weaning her? I know she drinks water and I’ve seen her eating away at grass... Not sure.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:46 pm

If she's eating good start increasing her feed and decreasing the milk.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:47 am

I don't think you should be diluting the bottle. Just mix less water and less formula. Someone else might chime in that raises bottle babies.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I don't think you should be diluting the bottle. Just mix less water and less formula. Someone else might chime in that raises bottle babies.

that is correct Jeanne
2 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:04 am

3 months is pushing it with all the challenges she has had. I would continue to give her at least one full strength bottle a day, not diluted. If you see her drinking water, then try to get her to eat more grain. She will come looking for her bottle, but offer her more grain instead. Say feed her either in the morning or night, keep her on a schedule and the other time when you go to see her, offer the grain fresh in a bucket. Diluting the bottle will cause her to get her water from the bottle and not push her to drink out of a bucket. If she was mine, I would put her on the once a day for another month, and the weather gets a little nicer. Even though she is wanting the grass, she is too young to get any real amount of nutrition from it so you have to make sure she is eating grain. A calf that is raised on a cow will be getting milk for at least 5-8 months as well as supplementing it with hay/grain/ and/or grass. The amount of milk is less than at 2-3 months, but still supplies a decent amount of nutrition. I keep all my bottle calves on milk for 3 months minimum. They just do better. I leave the calves on the nurse cows for at least 3-4 months and they are eating grain and hay good.
3 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Rumen development doesn't start until they start eating solid food, and takes a couple of months at least to get working well enough to get them by. I would want her eating a good amount of calf ration from the feed store for quite some time before stopping the bottle altogether. And keep her on the appropriate ration until this fall before switching her to what the other calves are getting post weaning.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 am

You've worked too hard keeping this calf going to ruin it all by stopping the milk too soon. Wait until she's eating sack feed really well, and even then, the longer she stays on milk the better she'll do.
2 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks guys. I’ve been replacing one of her feedings with grain offerings. I give her a full bottle in the morning and offer up more grain at the second feeding. It seems to be a good balance for her. I’ve equal cut the water and feed down. So instead of 4 Pints (2 quarts) she’s getting 3 Pints (1.5 quarts) and grain/feed. She was showing early signs of not taking to thevfeeding idea I had so I definitely took your all’s advice quickly as I don’t want her going backwards in health. This may not be the most effective idea but it’s working for Mira right now. I’ll give her another month before I cut down anymore milk. So by five months I’ll have her down to 2 Pints (1 quart). I think that’ll be good. And I’ll start offering up the starter feed with her more when I go down.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Sounds like you hit the right "happy medium" for Mira. Once the weather gets a little nicer she will have more interest in feed and grass and being outside getting more exercise. I think that by the time another month goes by she will be eating more and you will just be able to cut out the bottle. But, if it makes you feel better to cut her to one quart, then do it for a week or two then just stop it. Still give her some attention and time with the grain, but she will be able to do fine without the bottle.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Mira keeps forgetting where the pellets are. I have to keep leading her to the giant dog dish of grain that I have for her, otherwise she just bawls her head off nonstop at anything that moves. I have tried a lower pan dish for her, the dog bowl, hand feeding... She eats the stuff when she finds it but everyday I’m having to lead her to the dang feed after I give her the formula... Crazy cow lol
1 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Update, I have to pretend to eat the pellets. She was eating them fine before. Now she just stares at them until I reach down to pick some up and “eat” it. I can’t walk away either. I have to stand by her for at least ten minutes now. My cow daughter is spoiled or something lol
1 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:27 am

Can you get her a calf buddy?
1 x

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:32 am

You are certainly dedicated, calf deserves to prosper after all the effort you have put in.
I do wish you would start calling her a calf or heifer at least, would make me feel better I know :D
Baby cow just don't sound right.
1 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:01 pm

angus9259 wrote:Can you get her a calf buddy?

I would love to but no I can’t. Not at the moment :/
0 x

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:01 am

Mira is doing good y’all. She’s four months old today and getting big. Though she’s still small compared to the other calves her age. She now comes to me when I click my tongue, which is something I do with my dog. It’s pretty funny. She also has started giving “kisses”. I had to pick up stuff off the ground around her lately - a terrible windy and rainy day blew a chunk of the barn siding and roofing off recently - and she comes up on me and “sucks” on my face while licking at me. Therefore, sloppy “kisses” lol. Also she’s so big now that I gotta be careful when she gets affectionate. She about knocks me in my backside or steps on my feet when she gets excited. She’s getting to big for “Mama!”
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”