Pink Eye Fight?

Cattle problems.
Txpiney
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Pink Eye Fight?

Postby Txpiney » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:29 am

Yes, you have to go to a vet to get draxxin. If I were you I would load her up and take her to the vet's office. It will be relatively cheap. Good luck
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:31 am

LA is an irritant when injected I can only imagine what it would do in the eyes. They off set white spot still says IBR ask the vet what to do to treat it. As long as the poop isn;t shooting out of her I would worry more about the eyes and eating then the squirts.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:40 am

Draxxin is vet only, no over the counter. I have been on a couple of the other threads you have posted on. I would never put LA200 or 300 directly on the eye due to the burning sensation of it but obviously others have. If she is now stumbling and flipping over, it would seem to me that she had some nerve damage or brain damage of some sort and there really isn't too much else to do for that. Have a farmer with a heifer calf that shows similiar symptoms. The heifer will fall over on her head and lie there, then after 5-20 minutes will struggle to get up. She eats but staggers like she is drunk and mostly relys on the sides of the small calf pen to keep her balance. It is heartbreaking to see her struggle so. I cannot see where it is a kindness to keep her alive. It is like she has seizures of some sort. You may not want to hear this, but if she was mine, I would not hesitate to put her down. I would not subject her to continued difficulty and possible pain and starvation.
1 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:43 am

farmerjan wrote:I cannot see where it is a kindness to keep her alive. It is like she has seizures of some sort. You may not want to hear this, but if she was mine, I would not hesitate to put her down. I would not subject her to continued difficulty and possible pain and starvation.

Pretty much sums it up!
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:59 am

Draxxin is a prescribed antibiotic.
You are still using the turkey baster? This is a risky way to feed the calf. I know you did not know how to use a tuber, but with a tuber (if done properly) puts the milk into the stomach. A turkey baster is just putting the liquid in her mouth & the liquid can get into her lungs. If so, there isn't much hope for her survival.
Stumbling and unable to hold the head up is sure sign that she is extremely weak.
Antibiotics kill bugs - good & bad - just like with people, she should get some Probias daily if she has antibiotics. Without good bugs in her stomach, she will definitely have the squirts.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 am

wbvs58 wrote:
dun wrote:Seems like the white dot I saw was off center. That was always a sign of IBR instead of pink. For IBR our vet gives a shot of some antibiotic directly under the skin of the eyeball and it clears up within a day or 2

Dun, sometimes a depot corticosteroid is used which is often milky in appearance like an antibiotic to reduce the inflammation of the uveitis and maybe what he uses.

We use a lot of topical antibiotics here with Pinkeye with good success as the only form of treatment. Most are in the form of mastitis preparations in particular Cloxacillin. Zoetis relabels a mastitis prep as Orbeninin Eye ointment, it is still in the tube with the long teat inserter. They claim therapeutic levels remain in the eye for up to 72hrs. Admin can be repeated after 48hrs but is not often necessary.

Ken

thanks for posting this.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:18 am

But, Ken is talking about products that are designed to be put in the eye. Not LA200
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:20 pm

If you can't afford a vet,right now...you probably can't afford draxxin...
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

LizHartley1991
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LizHartley1991 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:13 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:If you can't afford a vet,right now...you probably can't afford draxxin...

I got Draxxin in her today actually. Sort of. I think... I’ve never given an animal a shot so I don’t know if it went in right...
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:23 pm

LizHartley1991 wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:If you can't afford a vet,right now...you probably can't afford draxxin...

I got Draxxin in her today actually. Sort of. I think... I’ve never given an animal a shot so I don’t know if it went in right...
well hopefully you did....good luck with her..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:But, Ken is talking about products that are designed to be put in the eye. Not LA200

where did I mention that he was talking about LA200 ?

I thanked him for posting that information so that I can now use that in the future. If you missed it in his post, he said they use mastitis medicine to help fight pink eye.

:roll:
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:36 pm

The OP had a friend put LA200 in the eyes, which some poster agreed with doing that. It doesn't hurt (well it does "hurt") but it works best if injected.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:13 pm

You will need to get that from a vet, or have a prescription to show your supplier.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:27 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:The OP had a friend put LA200 in the eyes, which some poster agreed with doing that. It doesn't hurt (well it does "hurt") but it works best if injected.

huh? Maybe you should read the entire thread and see who is replaying to what.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:49 am

There are other active threads going with this OP about the same calf.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”