Joint ill?

Cattle problems.
foxgirl1811
Beginner
Beginner

Joint ill?

Postby foxgirl1811 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 pm

Wanting some opinions.....I took on a calf from a friend that needed a little more tlc than she could give. The dairy she got her calves from, I don’t think got any colostrum. So we’ve been treating some respiratory issues and while we have that controlled, he started last Thursday with his left front joint starting to “open”. Called the vet right away and come to the conclusion it’s probably joint Ill from navel ill? He started him on Baytril and also Mycotil with dressing changes & flush 2/day. We are officially on our last night and I feel like the joint isn’t getting any better looking. He acts better than he ever has and does walk on it but favors it a little. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Am I spinning my wheels for nothing? He’s going on 2 months old here soon. When we got him, he was skin & bones, but really has gained weight for all that he has been thru. This is my 3rd calf I EVER raised. (I think I’ll stick to grain farming)[image][/image]

0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Joint ill?

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 am

The wound in the top picture looks more like a cut to me.

Ken
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:07 am

I agree about it looking like a cut. I have never known "joint ill" to open up at the joint. It usually just swells some, and gets sore to the touch, and hurts to walk on it like us old folks when we get worn out joints...haha. Anyway, I think that it looks like it is more of an infection from a cut. That would mean using something to keep the joint tissue healing from the inside out and that won't happen in a few days. If it is deep you don't want it to scab over and contain pus inside; but if it isn't too deep you might do more good by just using some spray on stuff for cuts and not continually flushing it out so the tissues have a chance to scab and heal. So the determining thing is how deep is it, is it oozing and has any infection looking junk in it, or would a simple "wound spray" do more good and let it dry and heal that way. The antibiotics will have probably taken care of most infectious stuff so WITHOUT SEEING IT IN PERSON, you may want to keep it covered for a few days to keep the dirt and stuff out and see if it will heal over.
1 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:39 am

farmerjan wrote:I agree about it looking like a cut. I have never known "joint ill" to open up at the joint. It usually just swells some, and gets sore to the touch, and hurts to walk on it like us old folks when we get worn out joints...haha. Anyway, I think that it looks like it is more of an infection from a cut. That would mean using something to keep the joint tissue healing from the inside out and that won't happen in a few days. If it is deep you don't want it to scab over and contain pus inside; but if it isn't too deep you might do more good by just using some spray on stuff for cuts and not continually flushing it out so the tissues have a chance to scab and heal. So the determining thing is how deep is it, is it oozing and has any infection looking junk in it, or would a simple "wound spray" do more good and let it dry and heal that way. The antibiotics will have probably taken care of most infectious stuff so WITHOUT SEEING IT IN PERSON, you may want to keep it covered for a few days to keep the dirt and stuff out and see if it will heal over.

:nod: :nod: The wound spray we use it called Bluekote, and it helps put a protective scab on the wound and helps it to heal.
0 x

Silver
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Silver » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Ya, I agree with the above. Joint Ill doesn't open up, treat it as a wound.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”