Extreme temp = sick calves

Cattle problems.
gizmom
GURU
GURU

Extreme temp = sick calves

Postby gizmom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 pm

Just a reminder, we have had temps in the high 70’s then dropping into the 50’s at night mornings have been foggy and cool. Tonight they are talking about snow just crazy weather. These extreme temp variations are the perfect recipe for pneumonia in young calves,we have treated four calves this week.

Izmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Extreme temp = sick calves

Postby callmefence » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:23 am

We had a rain of sick calves and a couple of cows a few weeks back when the temps when from near freezing to near 90 in about a day.
Got lucky and noticed it early. Did a ear tag check of twice a day and pulled anything as soon as it started looking droopy. Out of about a dozen head treated We didn't loose any knock on wood. I did Cull a good young cow after the antibiotics withdrawal. She was so sick for so long I figured she'd be a lunger from now on.

We had 24 hours of cold rain into snow last night. The warm up starts today but at least it's gonna be a little more gradual. They always seem to take sick on the warm up. Also it's wet now. Seems like it's always worse when it's really dry. It's called dust pneumonia here.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:19 am

Huge variation in temps here as well and extremely dry/dusty. Gave Sustain to a replacement heifer the other day, watching her closely but looks like I caught it early and won't have to pull her & follow up with Resflor Gold. I need to wean some fall calves and all of them just happened to be in the barnyard 2 days ago - perfect, all I had to do was sort out the other cows & their mamas, but didn't want to risk it because the temps were predicted to go from 57 to 17 that night. And they did. It's 17 right now but supposed to be back in the mid 60's by Sunday. This is way worse than constant cold.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:02 am

TCRanch wrote:Huge variation in temps here as well and extremely dry/dusty. Gave Sustain to a replacement heifer the other day, watching her closely but looks like I caught it early and won't have to pull her & follow up with Resflor Gold. I need to wean some fall calves and all of them just happened to be in the barnyard 2 days ago - perfect, all I had to do was sort out the other cows & their mamas, but didn't want to risk it because the temps were predicted to go from 57 to 17 that night. And they did. It's 17 right now but supposed to be back in the mid 60's by Sunday. This is way worse than constant cold.

Agreed. With these bouncing temps and the added stress of weaning, it is sure hard on calves and cattle people trying to stay healthy. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:42 am

Swings of more than 30 degrees between day time highs and night time lows = sick calves.
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:48 am

I'm seeing lots of fall calving cows in others herds and thought i'm so glad I don't have cows calving right now....then, we have one calve..lol It was 70 the day before and 22 the night it was born. Bless its heart. Doing fine though.
Where I am the temp swings have been no problem because its so dry. Now add water to the mix and its a whole new ballgame...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Had the last first calf heifer have her calf last night after a couple of inches of our first snow of the year. She is taking care of it and it has been up and nursing so I guess we will be okay. Temps were in the 30-35 range yesterday. Sunny and 40's the next few days. Still hauling water though, as the spring can't keep up and 2 inches of snow sure ain't gonna help it much. No more precip in the forecast for another week.Way drier than we usually are for this time of year.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Temped a calf today, 105.7! Draxin on board.... we have had extreme from days to nights.... hate this weather.
1 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:11 pm

BC wrote:Swings of more than 30 degrees between day time highs and night time lows = sick calves.

That's a daily event here, swings of 60 degrees F are not uncommon, I've seen 80 degrees. Good bedding and windbreaks are important of course, but for weaning calves it's pretty important to have them up on Somnus vaccine. Of course, you don't want to vaccinate sick calves so important to do it before it comes to that. I was a little slow this year with the weaned calves because of the weather and started to get a little sickness so ran the whole works through and gave them all Biomicin. Cleared things up pretty quick then gave the vaccinations. My bad.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:35 pm

Pretty typical here for large swings and wet cold weather with wind. Keep them fed helps the most, Hungry and cold will break them quickly.

Fed cold and wet will kill gains
Empty cold and wet will kill them
2 x

Hunter
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hunter » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:05 pm

Yep, we have our first sick calf to go along with one whose mother gives very little milk.
Fun times.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:36 pm

I'm curious, are these calve all vaccinated with a live vaccine or are they naive to any vaccination program whatsovever?
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:23 am

Not just the cattle,, been taking a toll on humans here too...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:45 am

gcreekrch wrote:I'm curious, are these calve all vaccinated with a live vaccine or are they naive to any vaccination program whatsovever?

Mine are vaccinated at appx 3 months with Ultrabac 7, appx 6 months with Ultrabac booster & Triangle4+PHK - both killed. I have been considering Inforce 3 for newborns this year and it's a mod live.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 am

TCRanch wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:I'm curious, are these calve all vaccinated with a live vaccine or are they naive to any vaccination program whatsovever?

Mine are vaccinated at appx 3 months with Ultrabac 7, appx 6 months with Ultrabac booster & Triangle4+PHK - both killed. I have been considering Inforce 3 for newborns this year and it's a mod live.

Go to a live vaccine on your cows. Given during the open period a month before the bulls go out. Use Inforce at birth and again at a month. If possible Give the calves a live at 4 months. Your buyers will love you.
2 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Return to “Health & Nutrition”