weaning early

Cattle problems.
angus9259
GURU
GURU

weaning early

Postby angus9259 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:11 am

I know this has been discussed relentlessly, but I have a specific question on it ....

I have a group of group of calves crowding 3 months that are on momma, hay, and free choice oats. I'm considering early weaning for logistical reasons this year. Any idea how early I can switch them off momma and over to just oats and soft good quality hay?
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: weaning early

Postby farmerjan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:11 pm

I don't know that just oats and hay will have enough protein and nutrition for them to really thrive and grow. And I have never willingly weaned calves at 3 months so I have no suggestions.
Just got 13 cows in with 13 calves that are in the 7-8 month range. 3 calves will be sold, as well one cow that was open. One open cow will be put back for her 2nd chance as she has a crackerjack of a heifer calf on her this year. So of the 13 calves, 12 heifers and one steer that was later born, we took 8 cows out; of the other 5, 1 will go to be rebred, and the other 4 will stay with the 8 weaned heifers and their calves in the group, for a couple of weeks until we sell the 3 calves and the one open cow. But they are eating real good, weigh 6-700 lbs., and although bawling tonight, I expect that in 2-3 days they will stop since they are older and won't miss the cows as much.
0 x

Coosh71
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: weaning early

Postby Coosh71 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:03 am

We weaned at 4-4 1/2 months last year due to lack of rain and heat. We began feeding 14% medicated creep feed to calves about 20 days prior to early weaning. Calves took to feed well, so when we penned them and separated them from cows we continued with the medicated creep feed, thin clean grass hay and fresh water. We also gave all calves an 8 way and pour on wormer at separation from cows. We had no issues with health from calves even in the heat. We switched to non medicated creep after 2 weeks and then moved on to a 20% cube. Hope this helps.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”