Hoof Abcess

Cattle problems.
Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Re: Hoof Abcess

Postby Supa Dexta » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Vet put him under. Can't get the good stuff ourselves.
0 x

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Yes, we've had the same thing done in the past. Put them under, but the vet was unable to find and clean up the abscess.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:31 am

Supa Dexta wrote:Vet put him under. Can't get the good stuff ourselves.

If you sneak around, you can get it. It is a two edged sword. I had one experience. Taught me a lesson.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:51 am

Bright Raven wrote:I had one experience. Taught me a lesson.

Bill Cosby?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:53 am

Supa Dexta wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:I had one experience. Taught me a lesson.

Bill Cosby?

An experience with xylazine. It relaxes their muscles, acts to reduce pain. At the recommended dose, they remain conscious.
0 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:50 am

Hoof abscess... in my opinion, antibiotic treatment of any kind is not indicated, and probably completely ineffective. Any 'improvement' one might see from treating with antimicrobials is coincidental, and more likely... imaginary. Establishing drainage is the key.

It's one thing for y'all to be pumping antibiotics into critters willy-nilly, but the vast majority of you have no business having xylazine in your hands. Flame away.
5 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:26 am

Acepromazine and Rompun must be similar? A mix of those two is what we call a love potion.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

wlamarparmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wlamarparmer » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Hey Folks,
Listen to Luck P., he probably forgot more on Bovine Medicine than I know. One of a very few I
would PM if I had cows and questions. Graduate DVM 1975, xylazine only available as Rompun
as 100mg/ml and ok only for horses. Some scuttlebutt said work on cows and dogs, but no recognized dosages.
Was with colleague, he extrapolated dosage and gave IV to large Charolais bull. Sounded like earthquake
when he went down in chute. Dismantle chute and administer him for 6 hours before was stable and regain
footing. I personally overdosed an Irish setter female nursing puppies with mammary gland laceration. Had
to set up on IV and administer her and pups for 5-6 hours before she attained sternal recumbancy. Without
Veterinarian on hand both these would probably not have survived. Off my soapbox on availability of anesthetic
agents and lay use .
Wilson Lamar Parmer, DVM
2 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Acepromazine and Rompun must be similar? A mix of those two is what we call a love potion.

Vince - Rompun is xylazine. Ace, is frequently used to sedate show stock.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 pm

wlamarparmer wrote:Hey Folks,
Listen to Luck P., he probably forgot more on Bovine Medicine than I know. One of a very few I
would PM if I had cows and questions. Graduate DVM 1975, xylazine only available as Rompun
as 100mg/ml and ok only for horses. Some scuttlebutt said work on cows and dogs, but no recognized dosages.
Was with colleague, he extrapolated dosage and gave IV to large Charolais bull. Sounded like earthquake
when he went down in chute. Dismantle chute and administer him for 6 hours before was stable and regain
footing. I personally overdosed an Irish setter female nursing puppies with mammary gland laceration. Had
to set up on IV and administer her and pups for 5-6 hours before she attained sternal recumbancy. Without
Veterinarian on hand both these would probably not have survived. Off my soapbox on availability of anesthetic
agents and lay use .
Wilson Lamar Parmer, DVM

If I were more disciplined, I would stop while I am only about 3 feet down, and dig no further.

I had a heifer go down in the chute after a mild dose of Xylazine. I was by myself. I was able to open the side. Disturb her enough to get her out. I literally stayed on the ground with her for an hour moving her to keep her rumen from locking up. I was able to roll her from left to right to keep her physiological functions normal. I got out of that one only with a scare.

Will never risk it again.

PS- I was lucky I had the guillotine head catch. The saloon doors would have been a disaster.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
agents and lay use .
Wilson Lamar Parmer, DVM

If I were more disciplined, I would stop while I am only about 3 feet down, and dig no further.

I had a heifer go down in the chute after a mild dose of Xylazine. I was by myself. I was able to open the side. Disturb her enough to get her out. I literally stayed on the ground with her for an hour moving her to keep her rumen from locking up. I was able to roll her from left to right to keep her physiological functions normal. I got out of that one only with a scare.

PS- I was lucky I had the guillotine head catch. The saloon doors would have been a disaster.

How much did you administer Ron? I only use 1 cc total for what I do.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:56 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
agents and lay use .
Wilson Lamar Parmer, DVM

How much did you administer Ron? I only use 1 cc total for what I do.

I used 3 mL (cc).

Very sorry. Just looked. .5 mL
Last edited by Bright Raven on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:02 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Thanks

Sorry Vince. .5 mL
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Here Xylazine comes as 100mg/ml for horses and 20mg/ml cattle. Ruminants are very susceptible to Xylazine so pick up the wrong bottle and you are in big $hit.

Ken
2 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”