Hoof Abcess

Cattle problems.
gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Hoof Abcess

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:30 pm

I will have to look what I've got. I know a little less than 1/2 cc will make a calf rolling heifer go to a happy place while her calf is nursing for the first time. They then lay down and rest for a time and most come out of it to be nice Moms.
2 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:34 pm

gcreekrch wrote:I will have to look what I've got. I know a little less than 1/2 cc will make a calf rolling heifer go to a happy place while her calf is nursing for the first time. They then lay down and rest for a time and most come out of it to be nice Moms.

I've never used it, always thought it would be a nice tool to have on hand. I do give everything I help a shot of oxytocin though
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Silver wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:I will have to look what I've got. I know a little less than 1/2 cc will make a calf rolling heifer go to a happy place while her calf is nursing for the first time. They then lay down and rest for a time and most come out of it to be nice Moms.

I've never used it, always thought it would be a nice tool to have on hand. I do give everything I help a shot of oxytocin though

That too. Including the tight fisted old bags that won't let their milk down when you have to feed a calf.
1 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:10 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Silver wrote:

That too. Including the tight fisted old bags that won't let their milk down when you have to feed a calf.

How do you manage to get your hands on the stuff? Have not met a vet yet that will give out either.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Aaron wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:
Silver wrote:

How do you manage to get your hands on the stuff? Have not met a vet yet that will give out either.

Oxy is easy to get here, and cheap. I think $25 for a good bottle 250ml I think. Can't get the other stuff though. Gotta get lidocaine or duracaine smuggled up on the sly. They don't even like to part with catgut, but we do have a good relationship with a vet, and I think if I twisted his arm he would get me some Ace.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Silver wrote:
Aaron wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:

Oxy is easy to get here, and cheap. I think $25 for a good bottle 250ml I think. Can't get the other stuff though. Gotta get lidocaine or duracaine smuggled up on the sly. They don't even like to part with catgut, but we do have a good relationship with a vet, and I think if I twisted his arm he would get me some Ace.

Ace, lidocaine and catgut are only restricted by the veterinarian you deal with. Rompun is to some extent. This bottle has been here a long time.

A little lidocaine in a clean rag is kinda handy when a fingernail gets pulled of or you whack one with a hammer. Maybe that's why some won't give it out. "Non Prescribed Use" :D
1 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:10 am

gcreekrch wrote:
Silver wrote:
Aaron wrote:

Ace, lidocaine and catgut are only restricted by the veterinarian you deal with. Rompun is to some extent. This bottle has been here a long time.

A little lidocaine in a clean rag is kinda handy when a fingernail gets pulled of or you whack one with a hammer. Maybe that's why some won't give it out. "Non Prescribed Use" :D

Huh. And here lidocaine is very easy to get, vets encourage people to have a bottle. But no way on Oxy.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:50 am

Aaron wrote:Huh. And here lidocaine is very easy to get, vets encourage people to have a bottle. But no way on Oxy.

Well that is a strange deal. Things that make you go hmm.
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”