Bull slipped on ice

Cattle problems.
Jason1040
Beginner
Beginner

Bull slipped on ice

Postby Jason1040 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:56 pm

Looks like I had a bull that must have slipped on the ice. Last night he was moving fine, but tonight he had quite a limp. Hoping to give it a few days and see if he starts healing up. Anything else I should be doing, or watching for?
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Re: Bull slipped on ice

Postby boondocks » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:15 am

Jason1040 wrote:Looks like I had a bull that must have slipped on the ice. Last night he was moving fine, but tonight he had quite a limp. Hoping to give it a few days and see if he starts healing up. Anything else I should be doing, or watching for?

My dog just did the same thing. She's doing better after a couple days (although it caused her to have a rare "accident" in the house. Hopefully you don't have that problem ;-)
Hopefully some others will weigh in. I would bet: anti-inflammatory and pen him close to feed so he can rest a bit maybe? Then vet if not better soon? (Assuming no evidence of a break etc, and that you're quite sure it was the ice, not infection, eg). Will see if the old hands agree with this quasi-newbie!
1 x

MRRherefords
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MRRherefords » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:37 am

When we see a limp we pen them up so we can get a good look at him. We have had one split a hip by slipping on the ice before. Hopefully, that is not it although if they split a hip they can't get around at all (at least my experience with it). Would keep an eye on him in the pen. If it is not a bad injury it should clear up soon. We actually have what we call "the limping pen". We pen them up at first sign of a limp, so we can see what the injury might be. It is connected to a squeeze chute in case we need to put up a hoof or something like that. We have found many causes to a limp, just by penning and closely examining. Hope he heals soon.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:05 am

You can give him aspirin also. But, rest may be all he needs.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:21 am

Give him a shot of Dexamethasone, works great for this application.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jason1040
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Jason1040 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:23 pm

Looks like he stifled. Has anyone had any good results with hitting a bull with grain for a month then have him ground for burger? The bull is only a 3 year old.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:47 pm

Local shop burgers bulls every week.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:46 am

I would. You will probably find (if you like the taste of beef) that it's the best tasting burger you've ever had.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:27 am

Jason1040 wrote:Looks like he stifled. Has anyone had any good results with hitting a bull with grain for a month then have him ground for burger? The bull is only a 3 year old.

Not a bull but a coming 3 year old cow that stifled. Primarily burger & a couple roasts.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”