Jersey bull pot bellied ???

Cattle problems.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

Re: Jersey bull pot bellied ???

Postby BK9954 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:45 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:You know just to look at a jersey bull, youd think it would be the most gentle, docile..of any breed out there..big old soft eyes...the most gentle Brahman cow I had ..had a eye set,that would make Charlie Manson feel uneasy...

The first one I ever owned I made the mistake of letting him get over 800 pounds. Almost tore my old trailer apart on the highway going to the auction. He was kicking and ramming the sides like a rodeo bull. Sometimes in the rodeo you will see those darn Jersey cross bulls, I don't care for them at all, just those small babies, had a heifer give birth to a calf that was UPSIDE DOWN, UNASSISTED!!!! Small thing just slid on out after about 10 minutes while I was changing clothes and going to get the chains.
1 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:55 pm

This is a jersey/brangus cross steer. The calves won't have much beef but this one has plenty of ear and naval to go around. I will get docked at the auction but I didn't have to leave work to pull a calf.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Anyone notice the OP has never been back. Hope the bull didn't get him! LOL
Serious, maybe he's trying to post a picture.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:11 pm

:lol: :lol:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Anyone notice the OP has never been back. Hope the bull didn't get him! LOL
Serious, maybe he's trying to post a picture.

:lol: An 1800 pound jersey bull is a dangerous thing, a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. I had a jersey leave a bucket of cubes just to come at me and my son 100 yards away. 1800 pounds can go through a lot of fence and panels. My son jumped on top of a round bale and I had to get a 2x4. That jersey looked at me a little different after that, he tore everything up in that pasture, couldn't keep a mineral feeder, he dumped every bucket or feed trough I put out there. Finally took a mineral tub, slammed 8 T-Post in the ground surrounding it and bent them over the the top so he couldn't roll that tub. It's the only way I could feed minerals to those heifers that were with him. Any hay ring he would push them upright like a wheel and roll them into the electric fence and short it out. Every day when I got home I would look in the pasture to see what he had broken. I how I don't miss that bull.
Last edited by BK9954 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:18 pm

I just hope he has read these comments and takes us serious.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:55 pm

BK9954 wrote:This is a jersey/brangus cross steer. The calves won't have much beef but this one has plenty of ear and naval to go around. I will get docked at the auction but I didn't have to leave work to pull a calf.

The jobs I had..I'd be money ahead if I did leave work.. :cowboy:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby lms0229 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:26 pm

I am hoping this time my photo of him posts correctly.

First off, I never turn my back on any animal of significant size as that is just asking for trouble. Secondly, I have heard about the bad temperament of Jersey bulls and was shocked to find one of this size and demeanor.... that is why I bought him. When I was talking about leaning him out I meant just his gut as he appears fine everywhere else. And yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I understand that but I do think he is a good-looking jersey bull because most Jersey bulls look similar to the females... mine actually looks like a boy. I have observed other Jersey bulls and I know what y’all are talking about and agree that is why I’m so surprised by this guy... it doesn’t mean I turn my back to him though. I’m a strong believer in natural selection and that applies to the human race as well... you don’t turn your back to a thousand pound plus animal... ever!

I know he was raised on a bottle so that is probably why he has that gut thing going like some of you suggested and it could be the breed thing too. I will try worming him again to see if that helps. I appreciate everyone’s input. Thanks!
1 x

lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby lms0229 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:16 pm

0 x

lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby lms0229 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:18 pm

That link gives you a better idea of his size because he is standing next to a Romagnola heifer.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:47 pm

lms0229 wrote:http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/larashannon1/A58E8AF6-B4EA-4FE7-BA71-DBA1A4B54B45_zpsahovrj7o.jpg

Typical mature jersey bull. They're sort of like us old men....got no a$$ so belly looks bigger. :lol: :lol:
3 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:26 pm

All of mine had potbellies

0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:28 pm

TexasBred wrote:
lms0229 wrote:http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/larashannon1/A58E8AF6-B4EA-4FE7-BA71-DBA1A4B54B45_zpsahovrj7o.jpg

Typical mature jersey bull. They're sort of like us old men....got no a$$ so belly looks bigger. :lol: :lol:

been transforming in that direction myself.. Suspenders are coming in handy.. No butt left to hold, what the guts shoving down..
2 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:29 pm

BK9954 wrote:All of mine had potbellies

yep!!the OP bull looks like a normal jersey
1 x

lms0229