lump jaw

Cattle problems.
scf84
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:59 pm
Location: lawrence co.Tennessee

lump jaw

Postby scf84 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:22 pm

noticed one of my heifers jaw was swelling up, had one like this few yrs back. i was gonna let it get alittle bigger, so today i got it in the head catch and was gonna give it a dose of la 200 and lance and rinse out with iodine, but unlike the other cow this ones lump is hard and doesnt move freely. from what i read this type is pretty much uncurable and either have to sell or butcher her, is this correct. if i decided to sell her would she bring anything?

Image

Image
0 x

User avatar
Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1987
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:33 am
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: lump jaw

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm

1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: lump jaw

Postby callmefence » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:09 pm

Yes she's a done for.
20 cents a pound.
If she has a calf you might be able to get it raised before it gets to bad.
If my freezer was low I'd grind her.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7941
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: lump jaw

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:59 pm

I have seen them with the lump in the lower jaw, just like this one.
I have also seen them with a large swelling in the upper jaw, kind of a nasal thing. Is this also lump jaw, or something else?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7941
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: lump jaw

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:http://www.beefmagazine.com/health/0401-bony-lump-jaw


I discussed this with an old cattle man - - and he said having the vet lance and flush is a waste of time.
Any experience with treating this?
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1987
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:33 am
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: lump jaw

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Have only dealt with ones I can drain. They recovered fine.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: lump jaw

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:36 pm

About 3 go rounds with LA and a couple big spoonsful of organic iodine powder in her mouth when you give her the shots. You may have to repeat in a month. We have gotten a couple more years out of a few cows with this treatment
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2943
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: lump jaw

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Lump jaw is absolutely curable if you catch it in time. My vet used an IV of sodium iodide on this girl (#27) in 2011 and she's now almost 11, doing great. BTW there is discussion whether sodium iodide can cause an abortion if the cow is bred but I've had that procedure performed twice (one with woody tongue), both cows were bred & both carried full term, healthy calves.
Image
1 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: lump jaw

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:14 pm

TCRanch wrote:Lump jaw is absolutely curable if you catch it in time. My vet used an IV of sodium iodide on this girl (#27) in 2011 and she's now almost 11, doing great. BTW there is discussion whether sodium iodide can cause an abortion if the cow is bred but I've had that procedure performed twice (one with woody tongue), both cows were bred & both carried full term, healthy calves.
Image


That is interesting about the sodium iodide on bred cows.
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2943
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: lump jaw

Postby TCRanch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:40 am

gcreekrch wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Lump jaw is absolutely curable if you catch it in time. My vet used an IV of sodium iodide on this girl (#27) in 2011 and she's now almost 11, doing great. BTW there is discussion whether sodium iodide can cause an abortion if the cow is bred but I've had that procedure performed twice (one with woody tongue), both cows were bred & both carried full term, healthy calves.
Image


That is interesting about the sodium iodide on bred cows.

My vet always says anything is possible but believes it is safe and the article supports that. However, the article also indicates treatment generally consists of 2 - 3 iodide procedures and antibiotics, which was not the case with either of my girls: one-n-done, we're out! But most likely because I caught them early.
0 x

scf84
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:59 pm
Location: lawrence co.Tennessee

Re: lump jaw

Postby scf84 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:49 am

i did not give her any shots, i think she is to far along, so i will put her in the freezer. is everyone sure she is ok to eat? also i guess i need get her killed asap?
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: lump jaw

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:15 am

scf84 wrote:i did not give her any shots, i think she is to far along, so i will put her in the freezer. is everyone sure she is ok to eat? also i guess i need get her killed asap?



She will be fine to eat. Sooner is better if that is your decision.
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Dusty Britches
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1028
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:15 am
Location: Branchville, Texas

Re: lump jaw

Postby Dusty Britches » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:35 pm

For an accurate dx, you need to culture the pus. The treatment options are very different. In one type, you can lance it and shoot 7% iodine into the pocket a few days. The other type involves sodium iodine via I.V. It has a low success rate, but can work. Sodium iodine will cause cows to abort.

http://www.angusbeefbulletin.com/extra/ ... nofMq6nGUk
0 x
Tracey '91
Crescent Moon Ranch

angus9259
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2816
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: lump jaw

Postby angus9259 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Interesting. Never had one that bad, but the couple I have had just opened up and drained on their own - no intervention necessary. No antibiotics or Iodine. Just lucky?
0 x

User avatar
Silver
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC

Re: lump jaw

Postby Silver » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:55 pm

angus9259 wrote:Interesting. Never had one that bad, but the couple I have had just opened up and drained on their own - no intervention necessary. No antibiotics or Iodine. Just lucky?


I would say it was just an abscess and not the bone infection that is lump jaw.
0 x


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tnfarmboy67 and 3 guests