How often can u feed electrolytes?

Cattle problems.
JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

How often can u feed electrolytes?

Postby JCcattle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm

I have a 1-2 week old bottle calf I bought last Wednesday. He looked real good the first few days and suddenly has come down with scours and pneumonia. Yesterday he still took a bottle, fed him milk in morn and eve and electrolytes in the aft, have given him resflor twice and scour pills once, so it seems like all I can do anymore is keep up with the electrolytes. He’s in a warm place, tubefed him electrolytes twice today so far and will again this eve. He seems to have doesn’t have the strength to suck or stand yet but he tries. How often is good to give electrolytes? He’s definitely dehydrated so wanna maximize what I can do without taking him the half hour drive to the vet after hours and getting soaked when I can help him at home.
0 x

Silver
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: How often can u feed electrolytes?

Postby Silver » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:30 pm

I'd give electrolytes as long as dehydration is an issue.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 pm

JCcattle wrote:I have a 1-2 week old bottle calf I bought last Wednesday. He looked real good the first few days and suddenly has come down with scours and pneumonia. Yesterday he still took a bottle, fed him milk in morn and eve and electrolytes in the aft, have given him resflor twice and scour pills once, so it seems like all I can do anymore is keep up with the electrolytes. He’s in a warm place, tubefed him electrolytes twice today so far and will again this eve. He seems to have doesn’t have the strength to suck or stand yet but he tries. How often is good to give electrolytes? He’s definitely dehydrated so wanna maximize what I can do without taking him the half hour drive to the vet after hours and getting soaked when I can help him at home.

First off, why Resflor twice? Dosage and admin is 6cc per hundred pounds sub que and repeat if needed in six days.

Find some plain yogurt and put a cup of that in with his electrolytes. Not only good for nutrition but get the good bugs working again. He may need an IV yet.

Good luck.
3 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:23 pm

I gave him resflor when I first got him that would be why the twice.. guess it was a little under 6 days tho.. I’ve got plain homemade yogurt in my frig :)
1 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:50 pm

JCcattle wrote:I gave him resflor when I first got him that would be why the twice.. guess it was a little under 6 days tho.. I’ve got plain homemade yogurt in my frig :)

Good show, if he has not responded favourably in the next 48 hours or less you will have to weigh the cost of a vet IVing or letting it go. IV is the worst job for me to master although I have succeeded many times.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:27 pm

I’ve never done iv so I’d have to take him in. He drank about a pint of fresh cow milk for me tonight.. never got him up tho. As soon as he takes a bottle he starts breathing all gurgly and coughs a couple times.. ??
0 x

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:13 am

Can you over do feeding electrolytes? He was fed at 9 am, 6:30 pm and I’m wondering if I should get up tonight around 2 or 3 and give him more. It says twice a day but seems like he could use more than that far as hydration goes
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:37 pm

I "thought" you were supposed to also get enough milk in him. They can starve with electrolites, but I know you are not supposed to feed them together. I'm not a lot of help, but I know the updated info says they need their milk also. Like feed electrolites, then few hours later feed milk.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I "thought" you were supposed to also get enough milk in him. They can starve with electrolites, but I know you are not supposed to feed them together. I'm not a lot of help, but I know the updated info says they need their milk also. Like feed electrolites, then few hours later feed milk.

yeah I've wondered how long they can go on just electrolytes. This guy is just not getting better :(
0 x

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:59 am

He died last night.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Sorry JC. That sucks.
2 x

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Thanks Jeanne..sure does!! He looked so great at the start!! Of course the one thats left is ugly, narrow and hump backed but as lively as can be at least. I might look for another to take his place. I got the two calves to help with excess milk from my milk cow and the other calf cant do it himself.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm

I was going to ask why you wanted/needed bottle calves. It seems I remember you have some SimAngus?
1 x

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:34 pm

Yeah that’s what our beef herd is.. my husband and I have about 30 head. We run them together with my Dads cows and do a lot of the work there. We’re trying to grow our herd and get on our own someday! I’m partial to milk cows so I always have one around as well! My Grandpa was a dairy farmer and he loved Brown Swiss so they say I got my love for them from him :)
1 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:53 pm

Four times a day feeding electrolytes is fine for a severely dehydrated calf - it can take that much to get them over it.
Sorry to hear about the calf.
Milk and electrolyte feeds are supposed to be at least four hours apart I think - the key is that additional water may interfere with milk clotting in the stomach, so you want to give time for the milk to be digested before giving electrolyte again.
As for feeding 'just' electrolytes, max out at 48 hrs. It's how we used to do it before vets started saying they needed the milk for energy (even though a scouring calf can't digest milk well). For mild scours I'd still alternate milk and electrolyte feeds, or add an electrolyte between milk feeds. For severe scours try electrolyte at 6 - 8 hr intervals and start back on milk only when the calf starts to recover and show hungry - provided it's no longer than two days without milk.
2 x
dunmovin

Return to “Health & Nutrition”