Tagging calves

Cattle problems.
JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Tagging calves

Postby JCcattle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Belzora wrote:I tag bulls in one color and heifers in a different color. Always in the right ear due to the preconditioned sale I sell in requires their tag in the left. Its a different tag than I use so I like a clean ear to work with. I don't write anything on the tag its all in my record book and on my phone. Which would be a lot harder with a bigger herd lol

So you just have blank tags in their ears?
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:59 pm

when a calf is born I log it. Use the alphabet letter for the year. First born this year is F01, second F02 and so forth. When I get around to tagging, I use a pre printed calf tag. I don’t worry about a specific number, I just tag it. I will reconcile that tag with it’s birth order and mom at a later date as if 01 was tagged with tag number F15 I will alter the calf’s I’d number to F01-15 on the records. If I were to keep a heifer for replacements at some point I’d give it a cow tag. Number it with the alphabet I’d for the year it was born and use it’s original order of birth number. So if I kept F01-15 for a replacement, her cow tag would be F01.

Cows I buy keep the tag number the have when I buy them. I’ll give them a couple initials representing where they came from. If they were bought through auction and not ear tagged I’ll use the livestock commission number for their I’d.

Sounds complicated, but it isn’t.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Belzora
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Belzora » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:45 pm

JCcattle wrote:
Belzora wrote:I tag bulls in one color and heifers in a different color. Always in the right ear due to the preconditioned sale I sell in requires their tag in the left. Its a different tag than I use so I like a clean ear to work with. I don't write anything on the tag its all in my record book and on my phone. Which would be a lot harder with a bigger herd lol

So you just have blank tags in their ears?

lol no, I should have been more specific. They're numbered tags, I just don't write birth dates or anything on them.
0 x

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:35 pm

lol no, I should have been more specific. They're numbered tags, I just don't write birth dates or anything on them.

Haha makes more sense! By the way I’m known for being blonde at times :pretty:
0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:48 pm

I write the cows number on top then on the bottom 1801. 18 for the year 01 for the first calf born. So 1802 for the second calf born. I tag the heifers in the left ear and bulls in the right.
0 x

kd4au
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kd4au » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:39 pm

I use letters and numbers, using the cows number in with the calves. this year calves have F as the first letter for the year 2018 and then the cows letter and number for example the calves tag would be FA15 and the cow's tag would be A15. I use the mid size Y-Tex tags for calves and the cow size Z Tags for cows they have better retention.
0 x

Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Cheese » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:05 am

We use the moms number and letters and numbers for date. We use the alphabet for the month, example February being the second month will be a B because it is the 2nd letter in the alphabet. We put the letter then the date and then the last two digits of the year after the date

An example, if the moms tag number is Yellow 137 and she has a calf today here is what the tag will say....

Y137 B-618

B is for February......6 is for Feb 6th......and 18 is for 2018.

This way when we look at them in the field we know the birthday of the calves and also if we retain heifers we leave the tag in their ear with their new numbered tag that way we will always know how old they are as long as they dont lose the tag or the tag fades.
0 x

Chief Dirtyface
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Chief Dirtyface » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Letter year and same number as dam. Yellow tags for heifer and orange for steer.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”