Freeze branding

Cattle problems.
bse
GURU
GURU

Re: Freeze branding

Postby bse » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Until it evaporates its good, not sure how long it may last, you can keep using the Methanol for several times, just add more dry ice
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:28 pm

Tbrake wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
Tbrake wrote:https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=9604df70-65d0-485b-a6e9-96391a85678e&sfb=1&itemguid=e26b71aa-1f6f-495b-bcf0-bd86e78d3ad2&utm_content=43415&ccd=IFM003&CAWELAID=120295250000092869&CATARGETID=120295250000477063&cadevice=m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIov339bT-2AIVg0peCh3IggPvEAQYASABEgJ2qPD_BwE

Would this one work? Price isn’t too bad.
For the people who use dry ice, where do you get it? What does it cost? How long will it keep in a strafoam cooler? Could I put it in a yeti cooler? I have one of those that has never been used in 3 years.

We have a set of those and love them. Make sure you can get surgical blades for them.... we only use them to fit cattle.
Can you get 99% alcohol? That is what we use, with the dry ice. 1 minute on the hide...

Is says comes with free ultra edge blade set, is that what I’m needing?

No. That is a blocking blade. They are designed to take off guard hairs and "carve" a profile. Look for a number 30, 40, or 50 blade for an A5 type clipper. You can get away with a number 7 or 10 too, you just have to make several passes at the area to get the same effect. I prefer to just make do with a number 10 since I can use them for other jobs also and don't end up with $35+ blade that only gets used once a year...
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:54 pm

I used pelleted dry ice which was very small pea sized and worked great to cool things down but did disappear quickly and was difficult to decant the alcohol off after and left with the alcohol was gone overnight. This year I will try the sheets or blocks broken up, I see it used on youtube videos so should work and it will be easier to separate off to use the next day. I used to use dry ice blocks to freeze fish I caught when camping on the islands and it would last 10 days no problem but was kept dry.

Ken
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm

Thank you everyone for the reply’s. Last question, does the temperature effect the brand? Going to get cold again next week, so I should have time to brand them.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:37 am

Yes temperature is a factor....I learned much to late in life that branding weanlings in late may or early june was a contributing factor to my inconsistent results....

much better results freeze branding in winter......

I also never reused the alcohol....used alcohol I would save and use it for wiping off the branding site before applying the iron...always used new alcohol for the dry ice.

I also have a battery clock that hangs over my chute....

Sourcing dry ice got to be a problem for me....first the dry ice plant in town closed...finally found it in a grocery store but then the grocery chain was sold....would have to start looking again if I were to resume branding...because I have no idea where to find dry ice locally now. I used to buy the dry ice the day before branding and keep in a good cooler and about a third of it would be gone when I was ready to use it...
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:36 pm

pdfangus wrote:Yes temperature is a factor....I learned much to late in life that branding weanlings in late may or early june was a contributing factor to my inconsistent results....

much better results freeze branding in winter......

I also never reused the alcohol....used alcohol I would save and use it for wiping off the branding site before applying the iron...always used new alcohol for the dry ice.

I also have a battery clock that hangs over my chute....

Sourcing dry ice got to be a problem for me....first the dry ice plant in town closed...finally found it in a grocery store but then the grocery chain was sold....would have to start looking again if I were to resume branding...because I have no idea where to find dry ice locally now. I used to buy the dry ice the day before branding and keep in a good cooler and about a third of it would be gone when I was ready to use it...

In what form did you use the dry ice? I can get pea size pellets, sheets about an inch thick or big blocks, the pellets I used gave good heat transfer but disappeared too quick.

Ken
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:37 am

I used slabs about an inch thick
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate