ear tags suck

Cattle problems.
JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Re: ear tags suck

Postby JW IN VA » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:30 am

M-5 wrote:I got some tags that are over 10 years old , They are faded some but still legible, I lost more with buttons than I have with Ztags and most are 4 or 5 years old

I have reinked the tags prior to putting them in.Seem to stay longer.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:34 am

JW IN VA wrote:
M-5 wrote:I got some tags that are over 10 years old , They are faded some but still legible, I lost more with buttons than I have with Ztags and most are 4 or 5 years old

I have reinked the tags prior to putting them in.Seem to stay longer.

I do the same along with making numbers 3 tip widths wide. Also if your working cows once or twice a year replacing a lost tag is not much of an issue. If every single cow is losing tags then there are other issues and changing brands will not help .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:35 am

z tag looks like I can use the same applicator also....
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:40 am

dieselbeef wrote:z tag looks like I can use the same applicator also....

The Z tags I used needed their own applicator, the needle needed to pivot out to thread the tag onto it
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:54 am

Its best when you change style to buy a new applicator . Its minor in the scheme of things . Some things are worth doing right to start with. I'm sure some other applicators will work but I can almost bet you will have a bunch of torn ears because z tags are sharp.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:30 pm

ddd75 wrote:tags in each ear..

tattoo

Where I used to work, it was a tag n each ear as well as an RFID button.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:34 pm

dieselbeef wrote:yeah I have guard rail but only in the pens and have never found a tag there....maybe ill try the allflex cuz the ytex are just sucking

Personally, I prefer the AllFlex. I've had good luck with those.
2 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Freeze brands on the rump are hard to beat, easy to pick individual cows out from behind when they are standing at a trough.

I freeze brand mine with the property brand then a year letter then their number in order of calving.

Ken
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:45 pm

I use z tag feedlot tags for all my steers, they are lucky to last to yearlings. I’ve had allflex maxi’s in cows ears for 6 years now. Only a handful have lost theirs. I put allflex in everything I plan to retain or sell as replacements. I’ve talked to a lot of people and most think allflex is one of the best for longitivtiy
2 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:00 pm

Tag in each ear and an rfid button and purebreds have a tattoo. May start branding some as well.

Had ztags in everything, using more Atags now.

Just spent over 500 last week topping up my calving tags, sucks paying for it, but I hate not knowing who's who more.
1 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:19 pm

I think we're using allflex now , only had 1 failure so far . We are hot branding also, because of activity we have observed from others close by .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Putangitangi » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:18 pm

I've been using Allflex for years and there are more cows without tags than wearing them. They're hopeless tags if you farm with trees and ticks. My cows itch their ears and the tags break.
Fortunately I know my cows well enough that I still know 710 is that tagless black cow.

The expense will be when I have to send them off and they have to have a replacement RFID put in, to replace the one they've already lost since it was put in at birth. Most of these cows are not even very old.
1 x

Waterway65
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Waterway65 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 pm

I use z tags on 90 plus cows for the last ten years. I place a tag in each ear. I have to replace ten to fifteen tags every six months. I read topics like this all the time looking for a better product.
0 x

fasttommy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fasttommy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:52 pm

I do not know from personal experience but I know a few people that have gone to brisket tags because they felt they stayed in better.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:01 pm

dieselbeef wrote:lose em..break off...don't know what cow is what...age..last calf...etc..

o I gotta come up with a better system than the y tags that I have a bunch of or a different brand..

or brand em...which I don't have the first clue about...but I don't have a brand or irons or any idea which way is best. freeze em...burn em...electric....fire....

whats the other options besides the crappy ear tags

don't ask how I know but if you don't cut all the twine off a bale your tags disappear pretty quickly
2 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”