Health papers to cross state lines.

Cattle problems.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Health papers to cross state lines.

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:17 pm

Needing health papers to cross state lines is a joke. I've hauled bulls to NC, FL, and SC now and not the first DOT agent got in the trailer to check tattoos. It sure would be entertaining to see a DOT officer in a trailer full of bulls trying to read a tattoo.
I'm surprised they don't require EID tags to cross state lines. That way they could just stick the reader and figure out who's who. Why waste everyone's time when there not doing anything, government bs at it's finest.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Health papers to cross state lines.

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:09 pm

I have never had to show even health papers.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:11 pm

I have not been checked.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:16 pm

When I lived in CA, we had to have brand inspection papers just to go within the state (when I took FFA kids to fairs and such, and the steers had to have the paperwork or were not allowed on the fairgrounds). When we take cattle to regional and the National show (in another state most years), we have to have health papers. The vet checks the papers when the cattle are checked in for the show. But the only time I was stopped for paperwork was when we left CA heading to MO, and that was at the livestock inspection station.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 pm

No weigh stations or Ag inspections? I get health papers from a vet and the DOT makes a copy, stamps it and sends me on my way. The DOT has never waved me by when I had any cattle on the trailer. Empty I get waved by every time.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:42 pm

No Ag inspections anywhere I haul. Drive by the weigh stations. As far as they know it's not commercial. Most time it's my cattle so it's not commercial.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:10 am

"STEERS" don't need RFID tags, but I believe to cross state lines now, you need them. It is mandatory for shows out here, and for sales - breeding cattle of all ages.

Here's an article:
UPDATED: JANUARY 11, 2018
The United States Department of Agriculture has implemented the Animal Disease Traceability program. Each state requires that all cattle leaving the state must have an official tag. If you are selling any animals to the livestock market you should tag the animal prior to leaving your dairy.

Which cattle require official ear tags?

Dairy breed cattle (including cows, bulls, steers, and calves)
Beef breed cattle older than 18 months
Cattle of any age used for rodeos, shows, and exhibitions
You may obtain official tags from your veterinarian or your state Department of Agriculture regional office. An official tag must have the US shield symbol.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:29 am

It would be even more entertaining to see them try to read tags or tattoos on 170 gilts.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:31 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"STEERS" don't need RFID tags, but I believe to cross state lines now, you need them. It is mandatory for shows out here, and for sales - breeding cattle of all ages.

Here's an article:
The United States Department of Agriculture has implemented the Animal Disease Traceability program. Each state requires that all cattle leaving the state must have an official tag. If you are selling any animals to the livestock market you should tag the animal prior to leaving your dairy.

You may obtain official tags from your veterinarian or your state Department of Agriculture regional office. An official tag must have the US shield symbol.

I would like to see a breeding steer. :cowboy:

:lol:
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"STEERS" don't need RFID tags, but I believe to cross state lines now, you need them. It is mandatory for shows out here, and for sales - breeding cattle of all ages.

Here's an article:

If I'm reading this correctly i need to tag them before i sell a slaughter cow out of state. I have sold in VA, KY, and TN in the last month and havent heard it mentioned.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:23 pm

All of the cows and calves at side and bulls get blood drawn. Since they all are tattooed that information all goes on the interstate papers. Nobody has mentioned if they were checked but I was talking a while back with a guy that had his checked and he didn;t have them. Ended up having everything quarentines AT HIS COST
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:35 pm

dun wrote:All of the cows and calves at side and bulls get blood drawn. Since they all are tattooed that information all goes on the interstate papers. Nobody has mentioned if they were checked but I was talking a while back with a guy that had his checked and he didn;t have them. Ended up having everything quarentines AT HIS COST

I didn't get stopped, I pulled into the check stations. The bulls all had ear tags "Red for Simmental and Orange for SimAngus" and EID tags in their ears also. The officers just never checked them. And as far as I'm concerned how could they without a catch pen and head gate.
1 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:09 pm

I live on the Mason Dixon line and near WV and not far from Ohio either. Never been stopped. Just a pain in the butt.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Well Tuesday I'm going to KY with a load of cows, coming back to TN to buy some to bring back into VA. Hope they don't lock me up.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:02 pm

MRRherefords wrote:I live on the Mason Dixon line and near WV and not far from Ohio either. Never been stopped. Just a pain in the butt.

I think a lot of it has to do with what state you are entering and what state you are leaving. The folks that bought this farm bought a load of Hereford bred heifers and they got stopped coming from tx to MO But that was during the height of the trich and bangs problems tx was having.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Health & Nutrition”