Poor cow

Cattle problems.
angus9259
GURU
GURU

Re: Poor cow

Postby angus9259 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:33 am

Lazy M wrote:At this point, hardware is the best case scenario. Better get her tested for johnies..

Johnnes cattle can't get enough to eat. Never leave the feeder. Nothing mopey about them till they're dead. They will be a sack of bones trying to gorge themselves.
1 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 am

angus9259 wrote:
Lazy M wrote:At this point, hardware is the best case scenario. Better get her tested for johnies..

Johnnes cattle can't get enough to eat. Never leave the feeder. Nothing mopey about them till they're dead. They will be a sack of bones trying to gorge themselves.

Good point, you're right.
0 x

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:12 am

First thing I thought of was johnnes, and ruled it out because of completely normal manure. She has never had the runs and poor appetite.
Had a relative that had a cow with johnnes. Never ending eating
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:26 am

Doesn't sound like Johne's disease from the description,by the time they are in poor condition Johne's cows tend to eat voraciously, their tail will be covered in crap, and a bottle jaw will develop.
2 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:11 pm

How do you get the magnets in them? Will they eat it with some grain?
0 x

aprille218
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby aprille218 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:22 pm

To get a cow to take a magnet you have to shove it down their throat. Using a cattle pill gun aka a bolus gun with the magnet and tip lubed up with vaseline works well.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:48 pm

that was my thought, but she should be scouring.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:30 pm

We had one like that years ago that had lost weight and had gone down. We had tried everything we knew to try when our vet told us to put a magnet down her. He had the magnets but since I have found them at valley vet and Jeffers vet supply. She was up and going the day after putting the magnet down, it was amazing how fast she turned around. It is a really cheap fix and would sure be worth the cost of the magnet to save your cow. Hope your able to save her.

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Remember though, hardware can be something other than a metal object..good luck with her..
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:39 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:How do you get the magnets in them? Will they eat it with some grain?

a 'balling' gun, bolus-gun, similar to a pill-pushing device for cats (except sized for a cow). Put a bit of lube on the magnet and shove it down. You can use K-Y jelly or Vaseline as the lubricant. Its a fairly simple procedure. I have found it to be easier than administering a paste wormer.

*edited for spelling errors*
Last edited by Workinonit Farm on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 pm

Most any cattle supply, feed co-op that has a store and TSC will have a magnet. Balling gun, stuff the magnet in it with a little feed or something to wedge it in, a little vaseline or anything to make it slippery, and down the throat. If it is hardware, of the metal kind, and it hasn't done too much damage to the rumen, or whatever "stomach" compartment it is in, you should see a definite improvement in desire and ability to eat.
There was someone on here a little while back that had a poor doing cow and finally she "coughed up" a part of a plastic trash bag and other " trash" that she must've found in the field. Don't know if she ever survived or gained weight, but it could be something other than "metal" affecting her too.
2 x

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Had to order magnet.
She wouldn't eat grain at all after I gave her the shots and tried to get her to eat safegard mixed with feed. Wouldn't even touch just the feed. Still eating hay.
Think I made her mad. Soaked her with cydectin Thursday and she was ready to eat grain again.
0 x

BigYoung
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigYoung » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:10 am

Aaron, thanks for recommendation

"These are the ones you want. The best as they will not degrade over time in the rumen. This is also the best price anywhere on them. I know because every single bull, cow and heifer in the herd has one in them. Incredibly cheap insurance.

http://livestockconcepts.com/en/equipme ... mooth.html

Unfortunately they are currently unavailable through Amazon."
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:03 am

I use to have several of them I picked up when working at slaughter house, don't know what I did with them.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Saturday I managed to get her back in corral, gave her 24cc la300, 12 cc banamine, 24cc nuflor and a magnet.
Put her in pasture by herself. Fescue and clover starting to grow, all she wants to eat is hay.
Been putting out 1\3 mix feed and she hardly eats any. Today bought bag of sweet feed she still not interested.
I put New feed out and she smelled of it and went back to hay.
Her manure looks like horse manure btw.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”