Feed Pad

Cattle problems.
pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Re: Feed Pad

Postby pricefarm » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:30 am

So is this limestone dust or mining wast basically lime ?
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:49 am

Bright Raven wrote:
ky colonel wrote:how did you setup your feed pad?

I put down a layer of number 2 limestone gravel (see chart below, #2 is 3 1/2 to 1 1/2). Then choked it over with "mine waste run". That does not appear on the chart. It is the waste from screening gravel. The mine gives it to who ever hauls it off so I only pay a $200 hauling charge for 30 tons. I don't know if you can get mine waste run where you are but it sets up like concrete.

Did you put the fabric under it?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:07 am

tom4018 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
ky colonel wrote:how did you setup your feed pad?

I put down a layer of number 2 limestone gravel (see chart below, #2 is 3 1/2 to 1 1/2). Then choked it over with "mine waste run". That does not appear on the chart. It is the waste from screening gravel. The mine gives it to who ever hauls it off so I only pay a $200 hauling charge for 30 tons. I don't know if you can get mine waste run where you are but it sets up like concrete.

Did you put the fabric under it?

No. I did not. I did around my automatic Ritchie Waterer.

This area is well drained. I think those number 2s form a good base. I put them down in about a 5 inch lift.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 am

Bigfoot wrote:Blows my mind, when I see people post that they successfully unroll hay. I can see it working in a dryer climate, but it just doesn't work on my place. Myself, and everybody else hates a nosey question, but I wonder how many head, people are unrolling for.

i unrolled for 120 head and they never damaged any pasture, only improved it.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:30 am

i'd put down concrete before stone. its not much more then stone, its easy to finish as well. Just rent a powered screed and you're set. even if its not perfect.. its a feedpad, who cares.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:17 am

We had it dug down 14 inches, fabric, then heavy stone, smaller, then limestone dust. Yes, it is exactly as it says, dust from processing limestone.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:19 am

pricefarm wrote:So is this limestone dust or mining wast basically lime ?

Yes. It is mostly dust/waste from crushing and screening limestone rock.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:52 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Blows my mind, when I see people post that they successfully unroll hay. I can see it working in a dryer climate, but it just doesn't work on my place. Myself, and everybody else hates a nosey question, but I wonder how many head, people are unrolling for.

I definitely believe ya. Right here on my place today,it rained all night, and most of the day. If I was to roll out say a roll and a half for that many head. That'd work out to 10 pounds per cow. Where it was unrolled wouldn't even be recognizable.
2 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
ddd75 wrote:

I definitely believe ya. Right here on my place today,it rained all night, and most of the day. If I was to roll out say a roll and a half for that many head. That'd work out to 10 pounds per cow. Where it was unrolled wouldn't even be recognizable.

if you have enough room to have that many cows, you should have enough room to unroll hay for them and not hit the same spot twice.

After I unroll they'll usually eat it into the ground. no more grass. before winter is over that grass will be growing back. I've never not had grass come back from unrolling hay, or hoof damage.

Yes in some fields and areas its hard to do and it depends on the weather. Right now my cows are still out in the field but it rained today and got a little above freezing.. I'm moving them back to my barn pen area tomorrow because its going to get in the 40's most of the week. I believe in ANY temp / weather / condition if you only drive on the spot 1 time with the tractor, it'll be fine. But with gates, etc.. thats hard to do. Thats why I only unroll when its dry or frozen.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:05 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:There are times of the year, like now, the ground is totally frozen. But, next week it might not be.
Plus, I don't have any area that I could successfully unroll a bale without it ending up in swamp or a fence. :shock:
I finally put a couple of gravel pads in. We don't have to drive the tractor in with the cattle at all. The round feeders are up against 3 wooden posts so they don't short out on the fence. I drive up to the fence & reach over the fence to feed the bales in the feeders. Cattle can get around about 80% of the bale. Occasionally, I have to "push" the left over bale away from the fence side.

One feed pad per bale ring, or a feeding strip?
Tie/chain bale ring to a post?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:05 am

I have one pad that only fits 2 rings, and one for 4 rings (different groups of cows). I put one wooden post on the cow side of the fence (fence attached) and I put a post about 1.5 - 2" inside the lot snug against the ring on each side. So there are 3 posts that the ring is snubbed up against. I did that so the cows don't push the ring into the electric fence. Some did not get strapped to the side posts, and the cattle have moved them away a little and right now with frozen hay, manure, I cannot move the feeder. It is only moved about 12", but they should be secured on each side post - works better. I will try to get a picture when I'm out today. The gravel pad actually extends 3 feet on "my" side of the fence, so the front tires don't fall into "never never land".
I have a 3rd pad that has 2 feeders side/by/side that divides two lots. Cattle feed from both sides. Gravel pad area is divided with steel panels on both sides of the feeders. Really a mess right now. Hasn't thawed enough to clean yet this winter so it is built up around feeders. Still works great.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:36 pm

0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks. We have heavy soil here and in a wet spring it can get ugly.

Looks a little simple construction. I have a lot of rings, and like fabric plus gravel pads.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:03 pm

I actually have a feeding barn. My herd has outgrown it. I stopped using it a long time ago though. The mess around it, ended up worse than the mess I was trying to avoid.
1 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:11 pm

took this today, took them off it today. no pasture damage. no waste.

went into here. the way i do not like to feed, but its the best way IMO if not unrolling on a field.

2 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”