7 day old calves....

Cattle problems.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: 7 day old calves....

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:34 am

Don't over think an easy solution, feed a mineral high in iron oxide the mineral will be red in color.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:20 am

Bright Raven wrote:Iron is the fourth most abundant element on earth and probably the entire universe. It is a key element in the physiological function of flora and fauna.

If your soil is deficient, it is easy to detect. Grasses and plants will not be dark green because iron is a constituent of chlorophyll, the green plant plastids that makes sugars. I have observed that in your part of Missouri, the parent rock is limestone and chert. The weathering of limestone should provide good levels of iron. Plus, your grasses are green. Even when you are dry, I have observed that your grasses stay greener than they do here.

I would look elsewhere for the deficiency of iron. You and I both use Vitafirm Concept-Aide. As we discussed, it is not listed in the 'Guaranteed Analysis' but Ferrous Sulfate is listed in the ingredients.

If iron is deficient in your program, it would have occurred before this fall and winter calving event.

I would look to an infectious agent that is compromising the physiological wellbeing of your calves or a noninfectious disease.

This is going to be an epidemiological puzzle!!!

Calcium will inhibit the absorption of iron and guess where these calves are getting most of their calcium??? Milk !!! Most minerals will never show a guarantee for the amount of iron in the mixture as it is usually very limited, is not required to be disclosed and normally quite low, however it does appear they ahve added some iron to her mineral. Don't know that this is the problem but certainly could be part of it.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Any chance that it has a genetic component in your herd? I'm not really familiar with iron deficiency.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:42 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:Any chance that it has a genetic component in your herd? I'm not really familiar with iron deficiency.

Not likely, since some are embryos and some are AI. The embryos are all purchased, so not related to our genetics. But very good question.

I did find this information: https://www.sprayfo.com/en/Learn-more/H ... -calves--/

Even though it is promoting a product, it has actual data on calves and iron levels.

TB - I was hoping you would chime in. DO you think the hay we have been feeding could be low in iron? From my research, cattle get most of their iron from feed.... if the cows are lacking in iron, thus producing milk that is low in iron, I would think the finger would point there?

BR - I will not exclude your idea, however I doubt it is an infectious agent. It would likely affect all calves, and not just 15% of the calves.

Everyone I have talked to thus far have all been stumped. The extension agent was going to the cattlemen meeting last night, and said he would ask the group there if anyone had any similar cases.

I found this thread through my research viewtopic.php?t=92977
So, I will see if the calves are any better tonight, which would be 24 hours after I gave the shot.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Fire sweep, please post what you observe post Fe injection. Very interested in this subject. Thanks
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:34 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
NonTypicalCPA wrote:Any chance that it has a genetic component in your herd? I'm not really familiar with iron deficiency.

Not likely, since some are embryos and some are AI. The embryos are all purchased, so not related to our genetics. But very good question.

I did find this information: https://www.sprayfo.com/en/Learn-more/H ... -calves--/

Even though it is promoting a product, it has actual data on calves and iron levels.

TB - I was hoping you would chime in. DO you think the hay we have been feeding could be low in iron? From my research, cattle get most of their iron from feed.... if the cows are lacking in iron, thus producing milk that is low in iron, I would think the finger would point there?

BR - I will not exclude your idea, however I doubt it is an infectious agent. It would likely affect all calves, and not just 15% of the calves.

Everyone I have talked to thus far have all been stumped. The extension agent was going to the cattlemen meeting last night, and said he would ask the group there if anyone had any similar cases.

I found this thread through my research http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92977
So, I will see if the calves are any better tonight, which would be 24 hours after I gave the shot.

More than likely your hay is high in calcium but so is most everyone elses. I honestly don't know. I personally have never supplemented iron in my cattle and have never had any problems.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:54 pm

I would do a few serial iron levels before any iron injections like at birth, those affected and those after recovery to try and get a bit more cause and effect evidence. I am always sceptical on just one low level. I haven't looked things up but to my knowledge symptoms of iron deficiency is mainly around the red cells and low haemoglobin levels, was the calf anaemic and what were the Hb levels?

Ken
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:00 am

Seems like the calves are using up more iron than normal. If your cows "appear" normal, great health, then you would think the iron level was fine with them. I would take a mineral panel on the COWS. This would tell you if research needed on the cow end or the calf end.
Also, by recommendation from Cornell Univ., I have ALWAYS give a Vitamin A&D shot at birth. they say the calf is born deficient. They never indicated that this was a regional "thing".
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Health & Nutrition”