Horrible way to lose a cow

Cattle problems.
User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby TCRanch » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and acknowledgement that ours is not an isolated incident. Bless his heart, in addition to losing a friend in a tragic accident, health issues and other drama, this was the last thing he needed.
3 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1117
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:33 pm
Location: North Central Texas

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby bird dog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:34 pm

One of my biggest fears is stabbing one with the hay forks when unrolling a bale. I've come close a couple times. I usually keep them up high, but sometimes they are low when unrolling over rough ground. You make mistake sometimes like this mornings feed when it was 28 degrees and raining. Not snow, a cold blowing rain.
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12795
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby Nesikep » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:00 pm

I know a guy who drove over his St Bernard with his backhoe.. needed a bunch of work done to him but he survived it.
My bull was bad at my friends place.. you couldn't run him over with a bale, he'd just be there fighting the heck out of it.

I have never hit a live deer or fawn in my hay fields, on two occasions I've hit fawns that were already dead.. One of them was near a fence, no idea why it was dead.. second one was really young too, a few rounds later I found momma eaten up.. I'm guessing she had twins and one wasn't positioned correctly and it killed her.. had I hayed a day or two earlier I'd probably have had a bottle baby.
We have a lot of grouse here, don't hit the adults often but you can't get around hitting some of the chicks.. same with meadowlarks
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2324
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby boondocks » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:34 am

Newbie haying question: I've read about the dangers of snakes (poisonous ones) in hay bales. If you get an animal baled up (birds, rodents, small fawn or such) and don't realize it, can it hurt the cows? Would assume it could spoil a bale but what if it's just a bird, mouse etc? Toxic? Would they just eat around any bad parts?
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3647
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby wbvs58 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:24 am

boondocks wrote:Newbie haying question: I've read about the dangers of snakes (poisonous ones) in hay bales. If you get an animal baled up (birds, rodents, small fawn or such) and don't realize it, can it hurt the cows? Would assume it could spoil a bale but what if it's just a bird, mouse etc? Toxic? Would they just eat around any bad parts?


Always the possibility of botulism.

Ken
1 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 12:33 pm
Location: SW Michigan

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:52 am

Nesikep wrote:I know a guy who drove over his St Bernard with his backhoe.. needed a bunch of work done to him but he survived it.
My bull was bad at my friends place.. you couldn't run him over with a bale, he'd just be there fighting the heck out of it.

I have never hit a live deer or fawn in my hay fields, on two occasions I've hit fawns that were already dead.. One of them was near a fence, no idea why it was dead.. second one was really young too, a few rounds later I found momma eaten up.. I'm guessing she had twins and one wasn't positioned correctly and it killed her.. had I hayed a day or two earlier I'd probably have had a bottle baby.
We have a lot of grouse here, don't hit the adults often but you can't get around hitting some of the chicks.. same with meadowlarks


Last year when I was still going in with the tractor my bull would do the same thing - fight the bale. He was just having fun of course, but it was a pain. I'm loving feeding over the fence this year!!
1 x

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby TCRanch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 am

farmerjan wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:
farmerjan wrote:My son set a bale right on a month old calf that had gotten in the round bale feeder and curled up to sleep. It was dark, he'd just gotten home from work and wanted to get it done because they were calling on snow the next day, and he works 12's when snowplowing. The cow spent 2 days mooing and looking and we figured it had been gotten by coyotes or something. What a horrible surprise when he went to move the bale feeder and the cows were poking through the left over hay and he saw the legs. You try your best, but accidents happen.
ran over a new born a couple years ago,, with a batwing... mama had hid it in tall grass and was off grazing with the others... Seen it out the corner of my eye, was running at a pretty good clip..it was to late when I got stopped...


Yeah, he ran over a calf with the bushhog a couple years ago. Same thing, momma hid it in a pile of tall grass/weeds, was off grazing with the other cows. It never moved a muscle, killed it instantly and had never even gotten up to run.
We have gotten a few fawns over the years in the hayfields that way. Got a turkey setting on a nest one time, she never flew off the nest and never saw her until there were feathers flying. Took the intact eggs home and put in the incubator and hatched a couple. Since then we try to watch careful and have been known to leave a patch of hay if he has seen a turkey come out of it or saw a fawn run into it. Not that we don't have boocoodles of both turkeys and deer, but just because it seems kinder. When they become adults then they are fair game.

Jan, just remembered the same thing happened to one of my friends and she posted about it on Facebook (including a pic of the chicks). Following is a quote from one of the responses she received: "You need to notify the wildlife folks as I understand it is against the law to have/raise wild turkey without a permit.....regardless of circumstance. Don't want to see you get in trouble for doing a good thing. My brother in law ran afoul the law doing the same thing you are doing."

Not sure if that's actually true or illegal - but heaven forbid, you try & save some wildlife :roll:
1 x

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1667
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby farmerjan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 am

Yeah it is true. You need permits in some states to raise "wild turkeys" . It was several years ago and I am not telling anyone when I do that anyway. Since I had Bronze turkeys at the time, no one would know the difference unless they were up close and personal. In the fall, some left and some were put in the freezer. There is a big flock that runs in the cattle pasture next door and up into the hayfields where this happened. No, I am not going to go on FB and do something stupid like tell the world what I am doing. That is the most insane way for people to brag about what good samaritans (sp?) they are. WAY TOO MUCH INFO out there on FB. I have an account that my niece set up for me when the kids were in college as they sure don't know how to even send e-mails, let alone a REAL LETTER. But if I go on it once a month now it is alot. I just don't like the "openess" of it.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 18319
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:57 am

TCRanch wrote:I'm still trying to wrap my head around a horrific accident. Few days ago my husband & I were putting out bales. I was making sure our newest calf didn't run near the tractor (he's a maniac) when I heard a horrible bellow. Turned around and realized my husband had run over a cow - she was literally under the tractor. He had stopped & I yelled at him to back up. Couldn't believe she was actually alive. Missing strips of hide all over her body but I'll be darned if she didn't get up. She was limping & in shock but nothing appeared to be broken although I suspected internal damage and she was due late March. I was able to walk her about 500 yards down to the barnyard and called the vet who agreed we would most likely have to put her down but to watch her a few days, anticipate an abortion & see how she does. My husband was devastated - he was going up an incline so didn't have the bale raised very high, the sun was directly in his eyes and he just didn't see her.

So the next couple days I gave her Banamine and aspirin, she wasn't eating much but drinking a lot and every time I checked she had moved and wasn't grinding her teeth, didn't show any obvious signs of pain, didn't abort. We were at a funeral all afternoon yesterday so I wasn't able to check her until late and when I went down, she was bloating. Time to end it.

Tough lesson to learn.


I am sorry that happened to you... I feel for yall its something you never want to do but those cattle will stand in front and try to grab bites and such and sometimes things do happen. I almost bushhogged a calf this past year.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby TCRanch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks, Sky. The bulls are the worst about trying to grab from the bales on the speer - with the tractor in motion.

Just got back from fixing the fence around the barnyard (and did a horrible job but will do for now). While we were putting down the cow, half the herd was watching from the other side of the fence, including the bulls. Naturally, because they're idiots, they started fighting and I was amazed when one of them was suddenly airborne, taking out 4 strands of wire, bending a t-post & landing in the barnyard pasture. Fortunately he didn't get impaled by the post, we didn't have a 2-fer, & only suffered cuts from the wire but that was the icing on the cake. :bang:
1 x

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6840
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:43 pm

TCRanch wrote:Thanks, Sky. The bulls are the worst about trying to grab from the bales on the speer - with the tractor in motion.

Just got back from fixing the fence around the barnyard (and did a horrible job but will do for now). While we were putting down the cow, half the herd was watching from the other side of the fence, including the bulls. Naturally, because they're idiots, they started fighting and I was amazed when one of them was suddenly airborne, taking out 4 strands of wire, bending a t-post & landing in the barnyard pasture. Fortunately he didn't get impaled by the post, we didn't have a 2-fer, & only suffered cuts from the wire but that was the icing on the cake. :bang:


Oh good grief! :?
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2324
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby boondocks » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
boondocks wrote:Newbie haying question: I've read about the dangers of snakes (poisonous ones) in hay bales. If you get an animal baled up (birds, rodents, small fawn or such) and don't realize it, can it hurt the cows? Would assume it could spoil a bale but what if it's just a bird, mouse etc? Toxic? Would they just eat around any bad parts?


Always the possibility of botulism.

Ken


Yikes! Hadn't thought about that. How would you know you'd baled one, if it was just, say, a small rodent? Could easily get in even a small square bale I would think...We have about a million field mice and voles etc per acre.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3647
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:00 am

boondocks wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:
boondocks wrote:Newbie haying question: I've read about the dangers of snakes (poisonous ones) in hay bales. If you get an animal baled up (birds, rodents, small fawn or such) and don't realize it, can it hurt the cows? Would assume it could spoil a bale but what if it's just a bird, mouse etc? Toxic? Would they just eat around any bad parts?


Always the possibility of botulism.

Ken


Yikes! Hadn't thought about that. How would you know you'd baled one, if it was just, say, a small rodent? Could easily get in even a small square bale I would think...We have about a million field mice and voles etc per acre.


I lost a cow to botulism a couple of years ago, just found her dead. I suspect it was from a load of chicken litter I got, I initially put a fence around it but after I had put it out in another paddock I left the remnants unfenced and they grazed around the dreggs. There are often carcases in the litter, may be just remnants from several weeks previously and unrecognisable.

Ken
0 x

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2703
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby TCRanch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:10 am

boondocks wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:
boondocks wrote:Newbie haying question: I've read about the dangers of snakes (poisonous ones) in hay bales. If you get an animal baled up (birds, rodents, small fawn or such) and don't realize it, can it hurt the cows? Would assume it could spoil a bale but what if it's just a bird, mouse etc? Toxic? Would they just eat around any bad parts?


Always the possibility of botulism.

Ken


Yikes! Hadn't thought about that. How would you know you'd baled one, if it was just, say, a small rodent? Could easily get in even a small square bale I would think...We have about a million field mice and voles etc per acre.

You generally don't know. I've discovered flat, dried up snakes and armadillo shells when I pull off the netting . Oops!
1 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6368
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Horrible way to lose a cow

Postby M-5 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 am

I ran over my dog several years ago . I spent a pile of money fixing him and He still doesn't hold a grudge although he still remembers when i crank the tractor . Things happen so quick sometimes.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests