hauling cattle

Cattle problems.
BRYANT
GURU
GURU

hauling cattle

Postby BRYANT » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 am

how cold is to cold to haul 11 450-525 weight steers/heifers 70 miles in a open bar top trailer. it has plywood in front for a wind break but no tarp on the top.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: hauling cattle

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 am

BRYANT wrote:how cold is to cold to haul 11 450-525 weight steers/heifers 70 miles in a open bar top trailer. it has plywood in front for a wind break but no tarp on the top.

My checkbook determines my trips not ol mother nature :lol: my barns around 100 miles away and ive hauled in the middle of the winter and it was around 15 degrees. I wish you well on whatever you decide.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am

sky its one of them deals I would like to move them but don't have to I can wait a couple weeks if need be. I had rather not make them sick for the next man to have to deal with.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:22 am

BRYANT wrote:sky its one of them deals I would like to move them but don't have to I can wait a couple weeks if need be. I had rather not make them sick for the next man to have to deal with.

I understand for sure and respect that. Usually my selling is motivated by $$ or the calves have because huge problems and I need/want them gone ASAP or I need another pallet of dog food :lol:
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:45 pm

BRYANT wrote:sky its one of them deals I would like to move them but don't have to I can wait a couple weeks if need be. I had rather not make them sick for the next man to have to deal with.

If you have the option of waiting, just pick a day when the temperature is above freezing. I looked at the weather for Oklahoma City and see that the temperature is above freezing all day on Tuesday, Feb. 13.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:13 pm

Stress is one of the bigger factors... Their resistance will be lower making them susceptible ...if they don't catch some bug on the trip....They'll be in shape to catch one when their penned up..shipping fever is rough deal..
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:15 pm

can you pull a tarp over it? I've hauled at 20F for 120 miles a number of times... and my trailer is pretty much open as well
If the sides are solid about 4 ft (sheet of plywood) that'll break the wind from them pretty well.. give them a good meal first and maybe some grain, if they stay overnight at the yard request feed and water
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Health & Nutrition”