Down calf

Cattle problems.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Down calf

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:29 am

draxxin is Imo the best antibiotic and I use it on my bottle calves. However, It is not cheap at all. Just as farmerjan said if you give them draxxin and they don't thrive nothing will help them atleast that's how it seems with me and bottle calves. I would call your vet and run it past them and see what they think though. You don't want to play guessing games too long or the calf will die. Anyone can give you advise and their experiences but none of that compares to a vet that can come out and check on your animal.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:59 am

skyhightree1 wrote:draxxin is Imo the best antibiotic and I use it on my bottle calves. However, It is not cheap at all. Just as farmerjan said if you give them draxxin and they don't thrive nothing will help them atleast that's how it seems with me and bottle calves. I would call your vet and run it past them and see what they think though. You don't want to play guessing games too long or the calf will die. Anyone can give you advise and their experiences but none of that compares to a vet that can come out and check on your animal.

Thank you. Vet has been out three times so far on this one. Just talked to him and he said that Draxxin will be coming on Monday after the Nuflor is done. He confirmed Septicemia. He says that if the calf is not any better by the end of the Draxxin, we should take her to New Bolton Vet hospital. We have had a lot of success there. Our vet has been practicing for nearly 35 years and said this is one of the first that he has seen quite like this, rejecting all antibiotics. New Bolton has access to some of the top drugs and other things. It may be expensive, but we already have so much into her, we might as well see it through. Thank you everyone for your suggestions, help, and encouragement.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:08 pm

What a learning experience.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:09 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:What a learning experience.

That it is Grit.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:33 am

Good luck, keep us posted. Had a horse at New Bolton years ago to remove a cancer on the 3rd eyelid? She did fine and had several more foals. Had a dairy farmer here take a registered show cow up there and she is doing pretty good. Had some sort of blindness, like "moon blindness" in horses, really weird. She was there for over 10 days but is back in the milking herd now.
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:23 am

They don't HAVE to have a noticeable infection in the naval. The infection gets in the bloodstream and sets up in the joints - as I understand it.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:25 pm

Update on calf. Got some sulfa pills for her as she developed scours. Gave more Nuflor and today was her best day since she was born. She was up and had more energy and nursed and wanted to play with some of the other babies. Hopefully this is a sign of recovery.
3 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:30 pm

Hope she has turned the corner and continues to improve.
1 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:23 am

Update: Calf took a really bad turn can no longer get up. Putting her down may be the best option according to the vet.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:40 am

MRRherefords wrote:Update: Calf took a really bad turn can no longer get up. Putting her down may be the best option according to the vet.

Oh no, sorry to hear that. You've certainly done everything you possibly can.
2 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Final update. Had to euthanize the calf this afternoon. Vet cut her open and said she had something similar to a viral scour infection and septicemia which resulted in septic shock. The liver shut down earlier and the heart was soon after. Thank you everyone for your thoughts on the matter. This is one part of the business I could do without. Guess i'll have to focus on all the healthy buggers running around.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Sorry to hear that. I thought the calf turned the corner after the Nuflor.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Started to Grit, but apparently septsis just took over.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”