Rectal prolapse opinions.

Cattle problems.
Lucasbranham
Cowhand
Cowhand

Rectal prolapse opinions.

Postby Lucasbranham » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Looking for advice on if there is anything else to be done for this cow.

Sunday evening I noticed that one of cows had a rectal prolapse. The cow is about 5 years old, 1300 pounds, in good condition, and calves every year on her own and on time except for last year she didn't calve. I sent pictures to my vet and he said if it's still out in the morning then he'll come take a look. It was still out the next morning so he came at about 11 am.
He asked me if I had noticed diarrhea, coughing or changed behavior recently. I hadn't noticed anything other than the prolapse.
He pushed the prolapse back in and put a stitch in to hold it in. He told me to cut the stitch out in 7-10 days. He said it wasn't a bad one and it went back in easy and she should be fine. He pregnant checked her and said she's around 5.5 months.
This afternoon I checked on her and it looks like a golf ball size balloon beside her anus. And she was starting to vaginal prolapse. She looked to be straining and uncomfortable. Sent the vet a picture of this and he said about all I can do is cut the stitch tomorrow and see if she prolapses again. Then mentioned maybe a salvage procedure(I'm going to ask more about that when I talk to him tomorrow once I see her condition then).
Is there anything else to be done? I would love to save her and the calf if possible. If not, Will she make it to the 28 day withdraw period so that I can process her?
Thanks for the advice, I've never dealt with this problem before.

0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: Rectal prolapse opinions.

Postby farmerjan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Talking to the vet is the best thing you could/can do. He is seeing live not just a picture. If it seems that she is uncomfortable and straining, is she aborting the calf? We had one that would get a rectal prolapse every year when she got close to calving. Always went back in after calving. It got bigger every year and finally got near as big as a football, so after putting in the stitch, to get her through calving, and removing the stitch 2 days after calving, we let her raise that calf and sent them to market.
I would talk to him about whatever the "salvage" procedure is ?????
I think the vet is your best place for advice. What drug did you use? I would have put her on excenel after putting the prolapse back in. Withholding is shorter if I remember right. No milk withholding in dairy cattle and maybe 3 or 7 days for meat?
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:30 pm

Also, soft fine hay and grain. No coarse long stemmed hay. Alfalfa pellets for bulk....anything to make the manure softer and more "runny".....
0 x

Lucasbranham
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lucasbranham » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:39 pm

Im not sure what he gave her. I wormed her and vaccinated her while she was up. He may be referring to that.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:43 am

Hard to make out much detail from the photo but it does look messy. I would say the salvage procedure is to amputate the prolapsed section.

Ken
1 x

Lucasbranham
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lucasbranham » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:16 am

It looked worse than the top picture by the time the vet came and put it back. That was when I first saw it. The second picture is the day after he put it back. The sun was really bright or I may have gotten a better picture.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 am

When is the vet coming back out to check her again?

To me it looks like she is straining, pushing, because there is no evidence of urine or feces on the ground behind her and she is pushing like she needs to. Is there a way to give her something to relax her to get her to stop straining?

Tough situation there regardless. No calf in a year makes it hard to justify keeping her and putting more money in her.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Dempster
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dempster » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:37 pm

If she is defecating out the rectum, that stitch will probably be left in place. If she isn't passing anything, it will need opened back up. The vagina will need sutured at this time too, the vet may do a pursestring stitch that you would need to remove prior to her calving.

She is likely continuing to strain due to the irritation and discomfort to the rectum that results from it being prolapsed. It's not altogether uncommon that they continue to strain some after the prolapse is replaced, and they do occasionally end up vaginally prolapsed because of it.
0 x

Lucasbranham
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lucasbranham » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Sent these pics to the vet a couple hours ago and he said to cut the stitch out. Just got that done and she immediately had quite a bit of manure come out. Didn't immediately prolapse again. So I'll check her again in the morning and see how she looks.

0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Lots of times if you're going to stitch them you need to get them on a diet that keeps the stool runny otherwise there is straining.
0 x

Lucasbranham
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lucasbranham » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:30 pm

She's in with my feeders now with free choice grain and hay. What came out was pretty loose.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:36 pm

Lucasbranham wrote:She's in with my feeders now with free choice grain and hay. What came out was pretty loose.

She was strung up pretty tight then!! :)
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:46 pm

That looks like a vaginal cyst coming out the vagina, may be what has caused all the straining and the rectal prolapse. If it is a cyst they can be easily drained.

Ken
0 x

Lucasbranham
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lucasbranham » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:50 pm

I was curious if she was possibly stitched too tight.

I'll mention the cyst idea to the vet tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Thanks again for all the help.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 am

Lucasbranham wrote:I was curious if she was possibly stitched too tight.

Thanks again for all the help.

My vet recommends being able to pass three fingers through the hole when stitched. I prefer 4. You usually don't need much of a stitch to keep the prolapse in and, as you learned, stitching too tight creates another kind of prolapse.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”