what do I give to make a cow give birth ?

Cattle problems.
Angus Rocks
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: what do I give to make a cow give birth ?

Postby Angus Rocks » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:16 pm

Went to a meeting last night that Jamie Lynn Farnie from K State gave a presentation last night and she said that people have been seeing bigger calves born this year and she claimed it was because of having colder winter in this area
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:40 am

After you use the needle is a he?? of a time to find out that you have a breech presentation, and mom was just working the calf around before she jumped the gun. I've induced dozens of mares, but only if they were pre approved. Full term, waxed, and foal position checked with ultrasound....or it was a no go. I've been in on my fair share of fetotomys after someone got impatient and thought they knew better than mother nature.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 am

Sorry, but I would not recommend do-it-yourself labor induction using drugs to anyone that has to ask what 'after-birth'
laying on the ground is.
4 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:06 am

Son of Butch wrote:Sorry, but I would not recommend do-it-yourself labor induction using drugs to anyone that has to ask what 'after-birth'
laying on the ground is.

There is a management issue if someone has to use drugs to induce labor in more than an isolated case. I would suggest that ddd75, look for the reason so many of his cows are having issues delivering unassisted.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:31 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Sorry, but I would not recommend do-it-yourself labor induction using drugs to anyone that has to ask what 'after-birth'
laying on the ground is.

I'll have to post the picture.. this isn't just normal afterbirth.

Raven -- I'd say its more the cattle then the operator. My reseasoning behind that would be that I bought these heifers (herefords) from another guy. I've never had a hereford cow before. They are all around 22-24 months old and now giving calves.

My black angus heifers have given me several nice 65 lb calves with no assistance. Now with the same bull, all on the same feed, all in the same area, these herefords are giving me trouble. I've had to pull everyone. I even had to pull this one.. I know she is 1400 lbs.. she is 2 1/2 years old, and gave around a 70 lb calf and I still had to pull it.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:56 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Raven -- I'd say its more the cattle then the operator. My reseasoning behind that would be that I bought these heifers (herefords) from another guy. I've never had a hereford cow before. They are all around 22-24 months old and now giving calves.

My black angus heifers have given me several nice 65 lb calves with no assistance. Now with the same bull, all on the same feed, all in the same area, these herefords are giving me trouble. I've had to pull everyone. I even had to pull this one.. I know she is 1400 lbs.. she is 2 1/2 years old, and gave around a 70 lb calf and I still had to pull it.

My cattle are Simmental. My average calf is 87 pounds. The average went down from 88 to 87 based on this year's numbers. For my size cows, I consider anything under 80 pounds too small. In the past 8 years, I can remember at least 4 heifers delivering 100 pound calves, unassisted. Clearly, in this case, it is a Hereford issue! All my experience is with Simmentals and Angus with the exception of the dairy cows I was raised around.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:45 pm

lost another cow / calf pair this morning. had vet over. she agreed with me to dex / lute them. I have only 4 more remaining. I've had to pull everyone. I have 3 dead cows and 2 dead calves.

going to dex / lute one tomorrow and hopefully it goes well.

have had a few angus calves all fine no problems.. half the size of the hereford calves. all herefords are giving amazing looking black baldie calves. hopefully i can get the rest to survive.

pretty upsetting.
0 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:59 pm

Explain how you are losing them? Sounds like the vet is involved, so if there is a big calf a c- section will save both. Why are the heifers dying? Please give us more details, and sorry you are having a rough time with them.
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:20 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Explain how you are losing them? Sounds like the vet is involved, so if there is a big calf a c- section will save both. Why are the heifers dying? Please give us more details, and sorry you are having a rough time with them.

i have these herefors that are going way too long.. about 3 weeks longer then they should. calves are huge. they can't get them out.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:54 am

Three weeks longer than they should based on what? That seems unlikely.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:07 pm

It sounds to me from what I understand that if the Angus heifers are calving ok and both the Hereford and Angus heifers have been under the same management conditions then it could be an issue of genetics of the Herefords. Are the heifers out of the same bull? I have noticed that quite a few polled Herefords that I see at sales around here have fairly high BW, EPD's. I am not real proficient on Hereford EPD's but I have tried to stay as moderate as I can when selecting purebred females and not start out with something real high.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:39 pm

A few years back we had an Angus cow that I thought was getting unusually big a couple months before calving date. I thought at first twins, then became afraid something was wrong, she went over about a month when she started calving she couldn't have it. A vet came out and did a c section after he realized how large the calf was. the calf was filled with amniotic fluid and probably weighed well over 200lbs. The vet guessed it at 250, he called it a condition known as Hydrops. In that case the water bag was like a rubber ball almost and the afterbirth was enormous and a different texture than normal and it was probably 100 lbs, had a heck of a time getting it out of the barn. That was a freakish thing that was just an isolated event that I hope I never have to deal with again and to make matter worse it was one of my favorite cows at the time.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:15 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:Explain how you are losing them? Sounds like the vet is involved, so if there is a big calf a c- section will save both. Why are the heifers dying? Please give us more details, and sorry you are having a rough time with them.

i have these herefors that are going way too long.. about 3 weeks longer then they should. calves are huge. they can't get them out.

You still haven't explained how you are losing them. Are calves still alive when you get to them? How do the mothers die? Torn uterine arteries? Uterine prolapse or what? They just don't die.

Ken
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:18 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
ddd75 wrote:

You still haven't explained how you are losing them. Are calves still alive when you get to them? How do the mothers die? Torn uterine arteries? Uterine prolapse or what? They just don't die.

Ken

last one was paralyzed after pulling the calf I had to shoot her. The one before that had the calf but was laying dead with her uterus out when I found her.
0 x

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:51 pm

Paralyzed in the rear isn’t rare with a big calf delivery. They generally recover. Just takes anti inflammatories and time/care.
What’s the vets position on your situation with these Herefords? Sounds like you’ve been consulting.
How do you know their due dates? Sounds like they were bull bred.
Hope you have better luck with the rest!
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”