Can I turn them around?

Cattle problems.
Sd1030
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Can I turn them around?

Postby Sd1030 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 am

Bigfoot, wish i could offer some advice but i too often find myself wondering if i should hold or keep. I just sent 9 steers to the sell last week. 6wts brought 157.5/cwt, 5wts 171.50/cwt, 4 wts-180.50-184/cwt, and one 3wt-190.5/cwt. Only thing i prolly would of done different was hold the lighter one to send with the next load. I had originally planned to sell my calves in may or june but i had some on 1st calf heifers that needed to be weaned. Also had some unexpected expenditures arise so i kinda had to generate a little income. Overall i was pleased i ended up avg just shy of 860 a head
2 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 am

Sd1030 wrote:Bigfoot, wish i could offer some advice but i too often find myself wondering if i should hold or keep. I just sent 9 steers to the sell last week. 6wts brought 157.5/cwt, 5wts 171.50/cwt, 4 wts-180.50-184/cwt, and one 3wt-190.5/cwt. Only thing i prolly would of done different was hold the lighter one to send with the next load. I had originally planned to sell my calves in may or june but i had some on 1st calf heifers that needed to be weaned. Also had some unexpected expenditures arise so i kinda had to generate a little income. Overall i was pleased i ended up avg just shy of 860 a head

That's a good sale. I need to print some market reports and do some figuring. Rained today, that's going to set me back a week on weaning, so I get a little longer to decide to.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Midtenn
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Midtenn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:31 pm

Sounds like a lot of folks in the south that's not too happy with the fall born calves. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe our cattle don't look as well as I thought but I'm pretty happy with ours after this winter. It's been the wettest on record , not coldest but pretty cold and unstable. this is the first year we ever creep fed continuously since 2 months of age but the cost was pretty minimal ($1100 for 26 calves). Free choice anipro mineral and 4# of 14% to the cows every third day. I don't think these cows or calves look rough at all considering the winter. Not bragging but I'm just thinking creep feed might have saved us and thought I would share that.

0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:51 pm

Midtenn wrote:Sounds like a lot of folks in the south that's not too happy with the fall born calves. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe our cattle don't look as well as I thought but I'm pretty happy with ours after this winter. It's been the wettest on record , not coldest but pretty cold and unstable. this is the first year we ever creep fed continuously since 2 months of age but the cost was pretty minimal ($1100 for 26 calves). Free choice anipro mineral and 4# of 14% to the cows every third day. I don't think these cows or calves look rough at all considering the winter. Not bragging but I'm just thinking creep feed might have saved us and thought I would share that.

I would say that if creep feeding was ever going to pay the producer back, this would be the year. Ive been rerouting some fencing lately, to give cattle access to a barn, that I can creep feed in. Been years since I've done it, I'd like to have the option back.
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:37 am

Sold some yesterday, light than I like on my heifers. Average on heifers was 505# - $146.69
Steers 552#-$163.95. These were the averages they figure on the check. $765 a head clear money.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:47 am

tom4018 wrote:Sold some yesterday, light than I like on my heifers. Average on heifers was 505# - $146.69
Steers 552#-$163.95. These were the averages they figure on the check. $765 a head clear money.

I could be happy with that.
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:06 am

ship m the sooner the better..wean em on the trlr..the less inputs the better unless theyre just eating grass theyre costing you money..and even that aint free enough
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 am

dieselbeef wrote:ship m the sooner the better..wean em on the trlr..the less inputs the better unless theyre just eating grass theyre costing you money..and even that aint free enough

I should have about 50 cents per day, added expense in keeping them. Cost me about $45 to hold them 90 days, plus deworming. Still haven't studied a market report. I was hoping if I went that route, gain 100 plus pounds, and 10 cents of value. Half a dozen of them are still bulls. They'd have plenty of time to heal.
0 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:43 am

I vote to hold them until late April or early to mid May. Feed is cheap, so lay it to them. Castrate, worm, implant, and revaccinate them. Prices should improve a little by then, too. As long as you don't have any death loss you'll be money ahead.
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Luckiamute » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:03 pm

Not sure what the market is bringing in your area, but in my region beef steer calves of your size are going for $160-$215 a hwt depending on the auction yard and the quality. Maybe look ahead to your spring calving cows and ask yourself how much grass will you really have for those cows and their calves, especially if they aren't in the best condition compared to past years. Maybe you need to send the fall calves to market, hope for the best, and refocus the efforts and energy on that next calf crop.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:08 pm

I caught about half of them this evening. Most of them went to feed, like they knew what it was. They looked a little bigger standing in the weaning shed, than I made em out to be running with their mommas. I could guess a chickens weight and miss it by 10 pounds.
2 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:22 am

I am just almost smack out of hay. It's calling for wet/cold/damp for the foreseeable future here. I hauled off what I considered the low end today. 8 head total. Included one half LH, average weight on those 8 was 475. I guess I suck at guessing weight. That'd make the big end way over 500. Market has dropped here 10-15 cents in the last month. Probably should have moved all of them today. Assuming grass ever comes out, I will hold the rest til about 725. If grass doesn't pick up fast, I'll have to sell them all.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:47 am

Bigfoot wrote:I am just almost smack out of hay. It's calling for wet/cold/damp for the foreseeable future here. I hauled off what I considered the low end today. 8 head total. Included one half LH, average weight on those 8 was 475. I guess I suck at guessing weight. That'd make the big end way over 500. Market has dropped here 10-15 cents in the last month. Probably should have moved all of them today. Assuming grass ever comes out, I will hold the rest til about 725. If grass doesn't pick up fast, I'll have to sell them all.

I've been buying hay from all over in our area. Hope I got enough to carry them through to green up.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:29 am

Bigfoot wrote:I am just almost smack out of hay. It's calling for wet/cold/damp for the foreseeable future here. I hauled off what I considered the low end today. 8 head total. Included one half LH, average weight on those 8 was 475. I guess I suck at guessing weight. That'd make the big end way over 500. Market has dropped here 10-15 cents in the last month. Probably should have moved all of them today. Assuming grass ever comes out, I will hold the rest til about 725. If grass doesn't pick up fast, I'll have to sell them all.

Grass is very green over here but no volume. The calves are weaned so the cows are picking what ever they can. I am totally out of hay except for square bales that I am feeding the calves.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Same here grass is green but not growing much. Seems like the cows are eatting more hay now than they was a month ago. Lots of people around here are about out of hay. I sold my neighbor 20 rolls today he was out. I should have plenty but always like to have some left over hay for next winter.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”