Range cubes or sweet feed?

Cattle problems.
J Henry
Beginner
Beginner

Range cubes or sweet feed?

Postby J Henry » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Got a 4.5 month hiefer calf she is lite 270# I bought Wranger sweet feed 10% and range cubes. She isn't really eating the sweet feed but she is the range cubes. Should I just feed the cubes or keep mixing both like I have been? I think she is short weaned on the pasture and they were feed cubes.
0 x

Lucky
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Range cubes or sweet feed?

Postby Lucky » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Range Cubes will work but smaller creep feed pellets or a 14% commodity mix would be better. Maybe feed her 3 pounds a day. My younger calves always start coughing when they eat range cubes. Is this calf by herself or with other cows?
0 x

J Henry
Beginner
Beginner

Postby J Henry » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:39 am

She is by herself
0 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:25 am

A lot of sweet feed is a high % of chopped straw. Feed something better.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 am

Buy a better quality sweet feed and give her that. At least 12% protein.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 am

Ebenezer wrote:A lot of sweet feed is a high % of chopped straw. Feed something better.

:shock: :shock: Never heard of that before. Sweet feed around here is a high protein pellet containing all the vitamins, minerals and protein, mixed with corn and molasses and sometimes oats. Normally a much higher quality feed than pelletized feed which can consist of a lot of junk.
2 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 am

Rafter S wrote:Buy a better quality sweet feed and give her that. At least 12% protein.

They make a sweet feed less than 12%? I guess I never looked at any under 12% The cheapest sweetened all-stock mini pellets is 12% every where I've ever seen it.
For calves, I'd rather have the textured feed..feed you can actually see the grain and chopped up corn in.
They probably make some good quality higher protein pellet, but seems mine prefer feed with only part pellets and the rest cottonseed hulls, flaked corn, and oats. Sweet or unsweetened. I think it's about 40% corn and 20% CSH with the rest 'other stuff'... The brand I've been getting lately is 'ful-o-pep'. Made in San Antonio I believe.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Return to “Health & Nutrition”