Weaning

Cattle problems.
Post Reply
User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8710
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Weaning

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:33 am

I am weaning my fall calves. They range in age from 5 months old to 6 months old. Some are already sold and I am getting them ready for leaving here.

I separated them early Friday morning so today is day 2 and the bawling has about stopped. It has been easy on the calves. They are broke to feed and hay.

I am going to start clipping today. The vet is coming Thursday to give calfhood brucellosis shots and castrating.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9892
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 109 times
Contact:

Re: Weaning

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 am

Good deal. Your calves probably have not needed mom for at least a month with the feed they get. And, they are used to "leaving mom" to go off & eat by themselves.
We weaned ours a few weeks ago. Put halters on 3 heifers & a bull calf to start training. 1 of the heifers was sold when she was 3 weeks old. Anxious to get her "gone". Hate to hang onto one that is sold - just in case something might happen. And if there was a freak accident or problem, guess which one it would happen to????
Buyer won't be able to come until after we get back from Kauai - can't wait!!! (for the trip)
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8710
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: Weaning

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:51 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Good deal. Your calves probably have not needed mom for at least a month with the feed they get. And, they are used to "leaving mom" to go off & eat by themselves.
We weaned ours a few weeks ago. Put halters on 3 heifers & a bull calf to start training. 1 of the heifers was sold when she was 3 weeks old. Anxious to get her "gone". Hate to hang onto one that is sold - just in case something might happen. And if there was a freak accident or problem, guess which one it would happen to????
Buyer won't be able to come until after we get back from Kauai - can't wait!!! (for the trip)


Thanks.

My cows are ready for a break from nursing calves. The grass is not that abundant so getting the calves off will get them over the hump until grass comes on. Then, they will get too fat.

I been through this routine enough times now to know my cows. I have big calves (average 87 pounds) and my cows are over conditioned but since they are Simmentals (best breed of cow known to man), they can spit 100 pounders out without as much as a low toned moo!
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9892
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 109 times
Contact:

Re: Weaning

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:22 am

You think your cows were ready - mine have been surviving & nursing on July cut hay and snowballs. LOL
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5228
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Weaning

Post by callmefence » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Bright Raven wrote:I am weaning my fall calves. They range in age from 5 months old to 6 months old. Some are already sold and I am getting them ready for leaving here.

I separated them early Friday morning so today is day 2 and the bawling has about stopped. It has been easy on the calves. They are broke to feed and hay.

I am going to start clipping today. The vet is coming Thursday to give calfhood brucellosis shots and castrating.


You need a need a pocket knife Raven.
I'll send you one....
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:22 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Weaning

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:01 pm

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:I am weaning my fall calves. They range in age from 5 months old to 6 months old. Some are already sold and I am getting them ready for leaving here.

I separated them early Friday morning so today is day 2 and the bawling has about stopped. It has been easy on the calves. They are broke to feed and hay.

I am going to start clipping today. The vet is coming Thursday to give calfhood brucellosis shots and castrating.


You need a need a pocket knife Raven.
I'll send you one....


Don't forget the iodine. :nod:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Weaning

Post by snoopdog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:23 am

Doing mine shortly , been bringing them into the corral that is almost done , finally .
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Post Reply